The Seven year itch

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

The Seven year itch

Post by nbg »

I have just noticed that I joined the forum seven years ago. How time flies. :)

Like many forum regulars my frequency of posting has varied over the years, as my thoughts switch between checking out all posts to the other extreme of “can’t be bothered”. Somehow I have managed to arrive at just over 9,000 posts.

To mark the occasion I thought I would do a quick write up of a few watches I have bought since becoming a member. Rather than do a “favourites” during the period, I thought I would pick out one watch from each year, with reasons why I bought, but sticking to one per brand.

2013 - C20 Lido
This was the first CW that I purchased. I went for this as I viewed the case shape, with option of an integrated bracelet as something different. If I only kept two or three CWs this would make the cut, not because I wear it a lot (I don’t), but because it was my first CW.
230B1FC7-ED35-4AA2-9497-D99C87149681.jpeg
CAA642D4-8031-48E7-B891-F8F19ED12A91.jpeg
2014 - Pelagos
I decided I ought to buy a watch to mark the birth of our first grandson. I had originally thought about a Black Bay, but couldn’t decide between the red and blue bezel models (the black bezel version didn’t exist at the time) but ended up preferring the Pelagos.

How times change, as the AD also had all the now rather popular SS Rolex Sports models available in the window. And I do mean all.
96094EE1-00E7-488F-82C6-3C0C8C5B8A51.jpeg
186E467B-9BF1-4037-82A8-8BF2B2B2F6D6.jpeg
2015 - Speedmaster Moonwatch
I was fortunate to be able to pack in work at a time of my choosing and decided to buy a watch to mark the occasion. At the time I had a couple of other Speedmasters and had tried on the standard Moonwatch, but not previously bought one.

I went to an AD and not for the first time, tried on a few different Omega models. However it only confirmed that most modern Omega models have little appeal to me. Speedmasters however I do like and most can’t really be regarded as modern. :)

The date of purchase was 20 July, which turned out to be a coincidence, as apparently that date has some significance to folk that are into the Moonwatch and Apollo project.
30615B68-796F-405B-89AD-CD6849E4AF08.jpeg
B74AEC9A-299E-4D5E-B107-B5016EEF49D9.jpeg
2016 - GS Spring drive SBGA001
I had previously tried on a few GS at Salon QP and it was at that point, having handled them that I realised what the fuss was about. I decided to buy one at some point, but was in no hurry. I had though decided that I would likely pick a SD, because it was different and I wasn’t convinced about the accuracy of the normal automatic or high beat models.

The good old days of decent discounts on new GS models in the UK now seem long gone, however back then if you struck lucky they were still possible. I was lucky.

The SBGA001 was one of the first three GS Spring Drive models launched in 2004. 100m WR on a bracelet, robust and for me, a watch I regard as one of only a couple bling dial sports watches in my collection.
AD12F7F9-4321-41BB-9BB8-CAC7D0FB28A4.jpeg
73EB9ED2-731D-4606-B07B-604D85C5DD23.jpeg
2017 - Submariner 114060
There was a time many, many years ago when I really didn’t like Rolex. Not sure why, it can’t have been because I was upset about waiting lists, as there weren’t any. Maybe it was because it hadn’t handled one or looked at them in detail. Fortunately having had the opportunity to try on a few, both current and discontinued models, I grew out of such irrational thoughts and became an owner.

By mid 2017 people had already started to talk about and post what I took to be nonsense about long waiting lists for certain SS Rolex Sports models. To test this out I phoned a Rolex shop that I had bought from before and asked if they had a 114060. I was told no. I thought ok but before ending the call, asked the person I spoke to give my regards to the lady store manager. The conversation took a different turn, as after being put on hold for a minute, I was then told that it turned out they did after all have said watch lurking in the safe. A lucky purchase.
24715F2E-2C54-4C4F-BCF6-07E3FEBFE1FA.jpeg
4B038C9F-7CFF-4796-8473-2A061CCA312F.jpeg
2018 - Smiths PRS 29AM
Having been a member of TZ-UK for a few years I had noticed how popular the various TF watches were amongst members of TZ, including many who I regarded as having a discerning taste in watches, judging from the other brands they often had.

Thought I would give one a go, picking the 29AM as an understated watch with a light dial. I don’t wear it much, but I do like it and think it compares favourably with some more expensive watches.
CCDD40DF-98FC-47A5-844C-9F3A2DF11154.jpeg
CB30DE37-A8BC-44D4-8C1B-35220F13C149.jpeg
2019 - Pinion Atom39
I first met the brand owner Piers at an event in 2018 and had the opportunity to handle a few of the watches he produces. Whilst I do tend to wear a couple of brands most of the time I do like a bit of variety for occasional wear. I also like the idea of British brands and Pinion ticks those boxes.
183B4023-5003-45EB-BBC3-9CA4229DB7A5.jpeg
D30D9E1A-43ED-43AA-B270-5FB7C1886013.jpeg
2020 - Newmark 71
I don’t have any light colour dial dive watches and had thought of backing this watch when on Kick Starter, but left it too late. However I managed to pick one up when the last few went on the website. I was attracted to the watch by its style as a recreation of a vintage Newmark model and knew that the brand owner had a meticulous attention for detail in the design of the watches. I also liked that it had a 1 to 12 bezel and that the bracelet was a style that I didn’t already have.
278B5DB5-D03C-4576-B36A-43913FEF4F7F.jpeg
DD6A8561-E117-49DC-B950-E17CA2FB2CA7.jpeg
A bit of a long ramble, but it was a quiet day and I was bored. :)

I thought I would finish with picking a watch that I owned before joining the forum.

People often talk of the seven year itch. It seems that I am a bit more loyal than that, having bought this one in 2007. Fair to say it’s a keeper. :)
8602C782-7195-4C94-A117-77A24B651F7E.jpeg
1B95FC8E-D52D-4B15-8E7F-77B044B3785C.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: The Seven year itch

Post by stefs »

A very interesting read. It is also good to see such a variety in both brand and value showing that enjoyment can be had at either end of the spectrum. Something I am realising myself.
Of those featured the gold reverso is my choice. Lovely :thumbup:

I suggest you offer a few more of these featuring some alternatives from your fine collection.
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

stefs wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:23 pm Of those featured the gold reverso is my choice. Lovely :thumbup:
I echo your sentiments, Paul. A fascinating insight, Neil - thank you! :D

And I believe you were wearing the Reverso on the occasion when a few of us met up at SQP a few years ago! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Good read that, Neil. You’ve certainly bought some quality over the years :thumbup:
Htownsend

Post by Htownsend »

Nice to see a variety in styles, I am constantly explaining to my wife why I like the look of a watch and all I get back is 'I thought you just liked that sort'
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Thanks for posting that Neil, good to read about some of your fine collection and the back story behind each purchase.

I just looked back and was relieved to see that I do still own at least one watch purchased from each year I have been on the forum (2016-20) as, unlike you, I am probably one of the members who has had a fairly steady turnover of the watches I've owned :problem:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Thanks gents. :thumbup:

Putting the post together and finding a few pics, was a more enjoyable task than completing mine and Mrs nbg’s tax returns, which is what I had intended to do today. :)
Thegreyman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:47 pm Thanks for posting that Neil, good to read about some of your fine collection and the back story behind each purchase.

I just looked back and was relieved to see that I do still own at least one watch purchased from each year I have been on the forum (2016-20) as, unlike you, I am probably one of the members who has had a fairly steady turnover of the watches I've owned :problem:
Patrick it is encouraging to hear that you have at least one survivor from each year. Your post on another thread today about having had six C11s made me smile. :)

I imagine in your day job you may occasionally have had to explain to others that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results! And yet where watches are concerned... :lol: :)
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:48 pm I echo your sentiments, Paul. A fascinating insight, Neil - thank you! :D

And I believe you were wearing the Reverso on the occasion when a few of us met up at SQP a few years ago! :thumbup:
I was indeed Steve. Whilst I sometimes can’t remember what I did yesterday, my long term memory is better. IIRC you were wearing a mark 1 C5 Malvern and Nick a Bremont. A bit more hazy on Paul’s choice for the day; possibly a Black Bay Red.

Neil
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I’m glad that this took precedence over the tax returns as it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Just the kind of post I enjoy most on the forum. Excellent photos too.
I have been coming here on and off for 6 years now, and now have a small collection of watches that I love. Sometimes along the way I have feared that I have succumbed to Kip’s meds but it has been a great and interesting ride surrounded by great people :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:47 pm I was indeed Steve. Whilst I sometimes can’t remember what I did yesterday, my long term memory is better. IIRC you were wearing a mark 1 C5 Malvern and Nick a Bremont. A bit more hazy on Paul’s choice for the day; possibly a Black Bay Red.
On the right lines, Neil, but not exactly. I believe it was this:

1E2D7F12-BB71-4FA6-A678-9478671EB5E6.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

missF wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:18 pm I’m glad that this took precedence over the tax returns as it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Just the kind of post I enjoy most on the forum. Excellent photos too.
I have been coming here on and off for 6 years now, and now have a small collection of watches that I love. Sometimes along the way I have feared that I have succumbed to Kip’s meds but it has been a great and interesting ride surrounded by great people :thumbup:
Thanks Lindsey. I generally prefer pics taken outside, for better or worse, rather than the sterility of a light tent. I can then look at a pic and remember exactly where it was taken. :thumbup:

Although outside pics away from home have been a bit trickier this year. :(

I remember a day in March 2016 when a young lady made a trip from Edinburgh to London to meet a bunch of random strangers. I think that was the day that you succumbed to Kip’s meds! :)

Neil
TZ-UK
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

An enjoyable read.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:18 pm
I remember a day in March 2016 when a young lady made a trip from Edinburgh to London to meet a bunch of random strangers. I think that was the day that you succumbed to Kip’s meds! :)

Neil
:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Fantastic read Neil! Enjoyed that immensely.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

scooter wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:27 pm An enjoyable read.

scooter
Viognier wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:12 am Fantastic read Neil! Enjoyed that immensely.
Thank you.

Neil
TZ-UK
mattjary
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Post by mattjary »

Such a good read on a very quiet days fishing.
The jlc Reverso is my all time grail watch.