“Place Inline” - how to tidy up photo attachments!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

“Place Inline” - how to tidy up photo attachments!

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Have you ever wondered why your photo attachments look like the one below (white border and the word ATTACHMENTS), yet other people seem to be able to post them without the border?

AF12E6D0-6E52-4B8F-A1DE-76FB11A0777C.jpeg

The answer is very simple – you are missing out one important step. Your friendly neighbourhood Mods occasionally correct this when they see it, but it’s much easier if you can do it for yourself.

When you have selected your photos as attachments, you will see a dialogue like this:

07FF10C3-30AB-40E2-A056-70EAB0266221.jpeg

If you click or tap the button that says PLACE INLINE, your post writing/editing box will look like this:

0363082A-1E26-4F90-8F03-9D15EE013799.jpeg

The image details only appear in the ATTACHMENT tags when you have pressed that button. Otherwise they don’t appear at all and you get the white box.

When you have placed your image inline, hit PREVIEW or SUBMIT and lo and behold, your post should look like this:

648555F2-EDA5-46A4-ADB1-9E56A45CF76C.jpeg

Hint: if you insert three line spaces before hitting PLACE INLINE, your photo will appear nicely spaced out under the text instead of being crammed right up beneath it.

Please feel free to use this thread to experiment or ask questions if you are not sure.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: “Place Inline” - how to tidy up photo attachments!

Post by 0uatiOW »

Thanks for making this clear Steve - I have noticed some of my posts were edited in this way, and never really understood why. Now I know.

I have used the “Place Inline” feature when trying to position an image at an exact place between text blocks, but often leave “the others” as attachments, so they all appear at the end.

I do struggle with attachments sometimes... from them being upside down 🤷 or being in the wrong order. I use Safari on my iPad, having given up on Tapatalk due to navigational challenges, and I often select/upload several photos at once. Then comes the undaunting task of working out which is which. I often end up with them in the wrong place......
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Great tip, but never seems to bother me :lol:

Plus it will save the Mods some extra work too, :clap:
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:27 am
I do struggle with attachments sometimes... from them being upside down 🤷 or being in the wrong order. I use Safari on my iPad, having given up on Tapatalk due to navigational challenges, and I often select/upload several photos at once. Then comes the undaunting task of working out which is which. I often end up with them in the wrong place......
My best tip there would be to keep checking PREVIEW as you construct the post.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:48 am
0uatiOW wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:27 am
My best tip there would be to keep checking PREVIEW as you construct the post.
Yes I do that very frequently, and I often assign temporary descriptions so that I can match up the image with the attachment list.... it’s a drag but I hopefully get there in the end...
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Thanks Steve, very helpful.

...now if we could only solve the sideways and upside down conundrum when going posting from an apple product to how it views on PC products
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia

Change the orientation in the iOS photo editor? It's what I do.
Steve

Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Viognier wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:30 pm Thanks Steve, very helpful.

...now if we could only solve the sideways and upside down conundrum when going posting from an apple product to how it views on PC products
..... I also find that my Android photos are at 90degrees on my android phone but the right way up on Safari
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:43 pm

..... I also find that my Android photos are at 90degrees on my android phone but the right way up on Safari
I find that editing the photo (e.g. cropping it a tiny bit) then using that version solves this issue. Not a clue why, but works for me.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

sproughton wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:56 pm

I find that editing the photo (e.g. cropping it a tiny bit) then using that version solves this issue. Not a clue why, but works for me.
Thanks Sproughton, will give it a go
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:07 pm
sproughton wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:56 pm

Thanks Sproughton, will give it a go
I'll have to give that process a shot..thanx..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I think it's worth a quick reminder here that using images directly from a mobile device usually includes locational information embedded into the file unless location services have been switched off. This data (EXIF data) includes metadata about the time, date, camera, camera settings, user and also location or GPS information.

Locational information from from the cell towers and especially GPS in aggregation over several files be unnervingly accurate and as a result the location of where you're taking photos of your lovely watch collection can be obvious to anyone willing to examine the file. This may pose a security issue.

As an example- here are two files. The first contains no locational information, the second includes data on the exact point, to the metre, at which I took the photo and this is effectively the data straight from the phone.
IMG_2711.jpg
IMG_2711-2.jpg

The issue is highlighted in the photo upload guidance at viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26825.

This further info might be helpful though-

There are two approaches- either stop the device writing locational information to the file at point of capture, or to remove the EXIF metadata afterwards, but before the file is uploaded to the forum.

To stop the locational information being recorded,

For iOS devices, it’s straight forward to stop the camera stamping photos with location data.

Go to Settings- privacy- location services - camera. The user can then switch the function off.

Note- this will only stop location data being stamped to subsequent photos- it will NOT remove location data from photos already taken that you might want to upload to the forum.

There’s a similar routine for android devices but I don’t have one to hand to go through the motions and test.

To remove the locational information from photos on your computer before you upload them,

In Windows 10, Right-click on the photo file and select properties.
Under the details tab, you'll see a list of all metadata associated with that file- the size, the camera settings at the time it was taken, and scrolling down, if it is present, the latitude/longitude at point of capture.
In Windows 10, there is a link that says 'Remove Properties and Personal Information'. Clicking on that will allow you to remove individual classes of metadata- in our case the lat/long, or create a new file with all metadata removed.
Once the relevant metadata has been removed, it no longer exists as part of the file and will be safe to upload.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

A better exif solution would be for the forum software to be configured to strip it from uploads

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2528176
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

957F4822-CD6C-48AF-A26D-806851FBC1E3.jpeg

Exif data can be very accurate about location. The River Dart is a nice place, I’m sure you had a nice visit there in August...

I’ve seen numerous photos that will show you pretty accurately where on a street it was taken.

If you’re using iOS then in the Photos App there is a preconfigured album called Places. This shows a thumbnail of any of your stored photos with embedded location data, overlayed on a map. It can be very informative!

There are apps such as Exif Viewer Lite (iOS, but I’m sure there are android equivalents) that will allow you to examine this data for your photos and edit/remove it if required.
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia

A quick bump for this thread. Still quite a few members not placing photos inline, please re-read the top post if you are not sure how to do it.
Steve