The Curmudgeons Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Curmudgeons Corner

Post by 0uatiOW »

“PM for price”. Got something to hide then? If it’s for sale, you’ve got a better chance of selling it if you say how much you are asking.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

JAFO wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:33 am I don't understand why we can't discuss items in this thread. Some of them need a discussion.
Come on guys. :thumbup:
Its very straight forward.

If you feel that a rant merits further discussion, not de rigueur in this thread, start a new one (topic/thread that is), quoting the relevant post from here as need be, to get things going.

Simples :eek: :eek:

Guy

PS> Otherwise, as per usual, discussion posts in this thread will be deleted.
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Grrrr, ticket resale sites.

My daughter wanted to go to see some singer I’ve never heard of and asked my buy her tickets when they went on sale yesterday. She assured me they would sell out in minutes so I needed to be on it the second they went on sale.

I logged into ticket master account 20 mins ahead of time and the second the countdown hit zero I pressed the buy button. Only to be told I was 6586 in the queue to buy tickets for a venue that only holds 3500. 10 minutes later when I was at the front and was allowed to buy they had of course sold out.

Anyway 20 mins later ticket resale sites are offing the £39 tickets at £400.

And to think we sometimes get grumpy with the eBay sellers......
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

People who start sentences with “This is going make me sound awful but...” or “I probably shouldn’t say this but ...” then they go ahead anyway & complain because they get burned.

One of the watch brand FB Groups I joined is full of it.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I just put a SD card in my phone and moved over a 1000 photos to the new SD card - and the dates changed on all of them to today. What a pain.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Why does everything have to be made in China, even expensive branded stuff! Whatever happened to manufacturing...

Mrs jtc has just taken delivery of an expensive (well not watch expensive, but pushing a four figure sum) treadmill from a named brand. Having assembled it this evening for her, I can see it's basically manufactured like the no-brand BBQs and other made-in-China stuff that's everywhere. I'm sure it'll be fine, but "designed in Germany" means sod all when the component parts are all done to a cost the other side of the world before being shipped back to a warehouse to then send to customers.

I think I annoyed her with my ranting during assembly :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

A double curmudgeon for me this morning.

1. My wife brought home some fantastic home made spicy kebabs from a work colleague celebrating Eid. We left some on the side in the kitchen to defrost and the cat somehow sneaked in and ate one of them. So less tea than planned but they were excellent, however the chillis certainly gave them a kick.

2. As anyone familiar with very spicy food will know, the morning after can sometimes be a delicate affair. I’ve just had to clean up an unbelievable mess and am trying to comfort a cat that doesn’t really understand what’s happening.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

My wife’s car is at the dealership for a service & MOT test. They’ve txted her with a check list of Red (urgent) and Amber (just for info) items that they need authorisation for. The only thing that they say is “urgently” required, is to replace the out of date bottle of tyre sealant from the repair kit.

The “tone” of the txt message gives the impression that it is an urgent requirement for the MOT and she needs to approve the work before they can continue?

They want £60 for something that is only approx £20 elsewhere.

It’s not an MOT failure!

They rely on people not being savvy!

This is why I always get my family to run these things by me first as this isn’t the first time that unnecessary work has been suggested to my wife & daughter!
Steve.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

After a 12 month wait, I had a Gastroscopy 3 weeks ago.

I now need to speak to a GP about the results and the next step.

I rang my surgery and the answer phone directs you to a website to book an “e-consultation”. You can’t actually speak to anyone!

This web based process has no provision for what I need. Instead, I have to drill down through loads of questions as if I was discussing a new ailment.

To be fair, I received a txt reply in only 2hrs! They’ve given me an appointment in their “Improved Access” clinic.

Sounds great you say? It’s in 24 days time and a Dr will call me sometime between 9 am and 8 pm on the day!!!

I’m glad they put me in the “Improved Access” clinic!
Steve.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Ugh....I wasted my day today.

Mondays are asynchronous days in my school system with teachers working from home if they like. I usually embrace the work-from-home option and typically get a lot done. In fact, I normally make better use of this day working at home than I would working from school!

Not today though. I had zero motivation to get going on anything. I think it’s because of a round of standardized testing that’s coming up along with it being so close to the end of the year. My options now are a miserable evening or a miserable day at school.

No one to blame but myself, but man, when the motivation isn’t there, it ISN’T THERE!
Drew
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

People that are deliberately making my life difficult.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

The new Tribus smoking ad
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Weather forecasting, especially the online variety! The Met Office website says that currently we have light cloud and a 10% chance of precipitation in the hour. It’s as black as a bag and we have a hailstorm!

Before I went on my last Christmas trip to Cyprus in 2019, I looked ahead at the long-range forecast as I always do. Big yellow suns most days and temperatures up in the high teens. Nice. A week before departure it was changing to much more cloud, the occasional drop of rain and stronger breezes. During the fortnight itself we had three cyclonic storms run through.

I would much prefer they start off with a dismal picture in the long-range forecast and we get a pleasant surprise.

Oh, and I hate these endless days when it’s beautifully sunny in the morning and by mid afternoon it’s blowing a Hooley and you’re getting drenched. This has been a dreadful month.

Rant over.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

People starting a question or statement with "Look,"

Watching Sky News just now and within 2 minutes the 2 people involved in the conversation each used it at least twice. It's not necessary and often really means "don't be stupid, I'm going to tell you how it actually is so you need to listen because I'm right".
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Look. :D. Modern cars. You put the radio on when you are parked up. You get 2 minutes and it goes into Eco mode and turns the radio off. Why? My wife has a DS3 and you can't even turn the radio on when you are parked.