The Curmudgeons Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Curmudgeons Corner

Post by Thermexman »

When you take your car in for an MOT and to have a problem investigated and they don’t seem to listen to you.

I explained that I suspect that my brake servo is losing vacuum when the car isn’t used for over 5 days. The brake pedal goes solid and you have difficulty pressing it far enough to allow you to start the car.(it’s an auto so pedal needs depressing to allow car to start).

He said that they’d need the car for two days to witness the pedal going stiff?

Firstly, 2 days isn’t long enough as I said it happens after 5 days!

Secondly, when they witness the stiff pedal, it’ll only tell them that I wasn’t lying because once you start the car, the vacuum is restored and the pedal works fine. It’s a slow vacuum leak over 5 days!

Surely my explanation is sufficient?

Update: we’ve checked your brakes Sir and they are working as they should! :silent: :problem:
Steve.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Seeing a watch in the recent sale (CW Bronze 42mm Prototype) turn up here https://www.wardhoard.com/watches at almost double to the price :silent: :-x
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

Mrs O decided we need a new toaster, so she picked one for a well know High Street shop - used to have a catalog - I was dispatched today to pick it up. Got it and came home, so far so good. Got it out the box and switched it on as recommended by the maker. Then it was time to test it with a couple of slices of bread and there in lies the problem: the slots are too small for a standard slice of bread unless you don’t want the top or bottom toasted! Why? Why can’t they make a toaster that will take a standard slice of bread? Grrrrrrr
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Paying cw extra money for next day delivery on thursday and still not having had even the despatch email on Saturday :?
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

stefs wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:49 am Paying cw extra money for next day delivery on thursday and still not having had even the despatch email on Saturday :?
Edit... its just turned up :D
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

The Curmudgeons Corner

Post by Robotaz »

I need to rant.

Engineers do not give you “specifications”. They give you “requirements”. When they buy something from you that meets their “requirements”, they review the parameters you say meet their “requirements”, and we call those parameters “specifications”.

Requirements come from engineers. Specifications come from providers. Engineers never give you specifications for your own product or service. That makes no sense whatsoever.

99% of corporate America does not understand this. **** me off endlessly listening to wannabe engineers tell me how it should be.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Ugh...the ex will never truly be an ex as long as there are kids involved. When will I no longer have to deal with this harpy?!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Hey a**hole, how about letting me know my car failed inspection instead of me discovering it when I see the sticker in the window as I drive away?!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

In the words of the great Muttley: "Grrr-rassenfrassenfrasssenfrassen!"

I can't BELIEVE that I missed the chance to queue outside Primark AGAIN! :( :( :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... k-56723368
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I have a long standing health issue relating to a perennial cough, that I can’t shake. As you can imagine, with a cough, Covid has made it difficult to even get seen for the next step of the investigation.

My last (over the phone) consultation, had my doctor deciding that I need a GI Endoscopy. That was March last year.

I tried to chase it but my GP’s surgery only has an online booking service now. Unfortunately, there is no way to navigate it for general enquiries. You have to actually require a dr to call you back. This results in him/her saying that they’ll get a receptionist to call you back in 48hrs. That call has failed to arrive several times now!

Anyway, I finally got the NHS letter asking me to call and make an appointment but if they don’t hear from me in two weeks they’ll remove me from the waiting list. It’s been a 13 months wait!

Unfortunately, the letter, which arrived yesterday, 13th April, is dated 11th Feb!!!!!!!!!.

Apparently, I’m no longer on the list. :silent: :silent: :silent:

Edited: after a couple of phone calls, I’m back in and they’ll see me in two weeks! Just got to break the news to work that I won’t be available for a few days. Hope nothing important is scheduled!
Steve.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I get really peed off when the question setters get the answers wrong in Tenable. Today, they had first 10 words of 5 letters or more in Mary's Lamb nursery rhyme, and they missed "rules".
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

I get annoyed with the question setters on Pointless.

Putting up a picture of a shovel in the garden tool picture round.

What's this " S_ _ _ E "

Answer Spade, incase any of the 20ish people who got it wrong frequent the forum.
In fact the 80 odd people who got it right, got it wrong.

Then the complete imbecile. Who, with a child in tow, stepped off the kerb to stop me driving, I stopped and ushered them across, when she had crossed 3/4 of the road , I slowly set off, she let her son run across, then did a U-turn and ran straight back in front of me, still smiling, she didn't even realise what she'd done.

Then the young girl behind me in traffic, it really didn't affect my journey, luckily I wasn't behind her.
Because, everytime traffic stopped, her head bowed and hands descended to a phone.
Many times I had set off and opened up a 50 ft gap, before she realised and closed up.
My mate wondered why it annoyed me, as it didn't affect me, well it obviously did you Melt.

Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Here's another thing. Searching on Amazon is terrible. It's great on eBay, but Amazon give you loads of results that you didn't ask for.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

What a vile creature I encountered today. Upon coming across my children in the supermarket, rather than say “excuse me” or attempt to move around them, and there was room, she turned her shopping trolley sideways and used it push one of them out of her way.

I get that other people's kids are a nuisance, but she took it upon herself to physically teach them a lesson and sauntered on, flipping me off, like the entitled bully when I confronted her.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Ian Mc »

I am very fortunate to have my boat moored on a private jetty, for a significant annual fee, at a hotel on Windermere. The jetty has Private signs all around it.
Yesterday, 2 girls were running up and down the jetty while dad looked on.
What part of Private do they not understand?
Time keeps on slipping into the future