Would you buy a plug in electric car?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Would you buy a plug in electric car?

Post by StrappedUp »

Having witnessed the difference in finishing between my Boss's A7 that he recently traded in and his new Model S, I'd say that's a good choice Chris.
The Tesla doesn't stack up against the Audi when it comes to finishing touches and build quality.
That's not to say it's a bad car, but it's rather basic in comparison.

He did look at the E Tron, but ultimately went with the Model S because of the range it offers.

I've seen a couple of the E Trons on the road and they are very nice looking motors.
Enjoy it when it arrives :thumbup:
Ryan
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

I have an almost identical story to yours, Chris.

My company car was due replacement and with the changes to BiK tax it was a easy decision to make to get what is, in reality, a free car (apart from around £100 per month in electricity). But, I still have this irrational range anxiety and the thought of having to plan lengthy stops on a long journey filled me with dread. So I ordered my new EV but also bought a personal car (Audi Q8) for when long journeys are planned or when I have to fill the car with people and golf clubs! My existing car was an X5 Hybrid and I like big 4x4s, especially as I live out in the sticks and the weather can at times be problematic. That's nonsense really and I'm just trying to justify buying another car - I think we've been snowed in once in the 12 years we've lived here!

I have a 50 mile round trip commute and the EV has a range of around 250 miles (probably less the way I'll drive it!) so a couple of overnight charges a week will cover that plus pottering around at weekends, if I'm not using the 4x4.

The Q8 was collected on the last weekend dealers were open and it has sat on my drive pretty much since with less than 100 miles on the clock since mid-March, along with my existing X5 company car. At this rate it might be run in by Christmas! My EV was due into the dealer on 31 March but never made it before lock down hit. I had a call last week from our fleet management company saying that it has arrived and that I should expect a call to arrange collection/delivery in the next 7-10 days, so anytime now. Home charger is installed so ready to go.

I had a look at a Tesla Model S as a few guys at work have them, but I don't like them. Great in a straight line and ridiculously fast but not so good around bends. Not too keen on the looks either. Considered the E-Tron - there was one at work and the guy loves it. Very practical as well. But at the time I was about to order (last October) a certain manufacturer in Stuttgart announced the launch of a new model and it seemed to tick all the boxes - EV so tax-free, fast, plus it goes around corners quite well, and a sporting marque to boot. The reviews have been quite good also!

My Porsche Taycan is on its way :D

(Yes, I know - I'm a very lucky boy!)
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

jtc wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:37 am Curious how a Tesla is more computer than car, when the e-tron has three separate screen/touch controls for everything too! :lol:

Happy motoring when it arrives! Have you opted for a wall charger at home?
I get what you're saying, I maybe didn't word it correctly - Ryan has probably summed it up with his comments about fit/finish etc... I guess I just feel more comfortable with manufacturers that I know, if that makes sense? Yeah, I have opted for a home wall charger. It hasn't been put in yet as I am having all of my driveway ripped up and redone next month so I'm having it installed on a mount next to where I park at the same time.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

The interior of the Audi does look great and much more conventional compared to the star trek bridge aesthetic of Teslas!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:17 am
Well, as I now no longer have to drive more than a couple of hundred miles a week and my furthest regular journey is only 60 miles or so I've done a full 'about turn' and took the plunge! I never thought I ever would but the government just made it too tempting with the BIK that I decided to put one against my company for myself. I know I've slated them but, at the end of the day, money talks and the financial benefits were just too much for me not to give it a try. I drew the line at having a Tesla though - too much like a computer than a car for me. Jag wouldn't do a decent enough deal on the iPace so I went for an Audi E-Tron. It was stuck in port in Germany since mid March when everything closed down (should have been mid April delivery), but it is due at the dealer on Wednesday so I should have it within a week or so. Time will tell whether the decision to move into 'soulless' motoring is a good one or not but at least I have the MX5 to put a smile on my face when I need it. To balance things out a little though, our lasses Yaris Hybrid is going and being replaced with a petrol Audi A1. I must admit that I do keep thinking 'have I done the right thing', hopefully I have.
It's funny how times have changed in such a short period and our daily habits too, to the point where you are able to live with the electric car. I recall a group test of electric cars and the e-tron I think was second only to the Tesla for range, I agree to that the build quality is going to be undoubtedly superior too. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds with a tax free company e-car along with the mx5 for a bit of less sensible fun. I do miss my mx5 from time to time when I see one around Edinburgh.

I have probably only driven literally 20 miles in my BMW since the start of March, I don't even dare estimate the cost of ownership per mile :(

My wife's car gets a little more use tootling around town to the supermarket and to her mothers to take her the weekly shop.

At this rate I could probably go down to one car, but need to see what the longer term working from home scenario is like.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:49 pm It's funny how times have changed in such a short period and our daily habits too, to the point where you are able to live with the electric car. I recall a group test of electric cars and the e-tron I think was second only to the Tesla for range, I agree to that the build quality is going to be undoubtedly superior too. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds with a tax free company e-car along with the mx5 for a bit of less sensible fun. I do miss my mx5 from time to time when I see one around Edinburgh.

I have probably only driven literally 20 miles in my BMW since the start of March, I don't even dare estimate the cost of ownership per mile :(

My wife's car gets a little more use tootling around town to the supermarket and to her mothers to take her the weekly shop.

At this rate I could probably go down to one car, but need to see what the longer term working from home scenario is like.
It sure is, Patrick. We did actually toy with the idea of going down to one (daily) car ourselves but can't quite manage it yet. I'm hoping that its an option within a few years though. The Audi just ticked all my boxes - get the dogs in, a 'conventional' cabin, looks like a normal SUV. I will miss my X3 but, as you say, times change. If BMW had their X3 or X5 in pure electric form available when I ordered it a few months ago I wouldn't have even thought about it, just ordered one. I said I'd never have anything but a BMW again so it's a big change for me on a couple of counts - fingers crossed I don't regret it!
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I don’t think I’d buy a plug in car. Running costs, range and infrastructure limitations are significant factors. There are also some good advancements in hydrogen technologies which may be a better long term option.
Oldgrey#19

Post by Oldgrey#19 »

I am 'electric curious' but three main things holding me back:

1) Terraced house, no drive.
2) I can only accommodate PHEV at the moment which would sort of work as work is a huge office and engineering complex, 13 miles away with ample charge points. BUT PHEV has been lumped into the phased out category so why would I bother?
3) The whole saturation point of electric supply points and production has not been fully answered, it still is bleeding edge, not leading edge for me because of this.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Oldgrey#19 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:09 pm I am 'electric curious' but three main things holding me back:

1) Terraced house, no drive.
2) I can only accommodate PHEV at the moment which would sort of work as work is a huge office and engineering complex, 13 miles away with ample charge points. BUT PHEV has been lumped into the phased out category so why would I bother?
3) The whole saturation point of electric supply points and production has not been fully answered, it still is bleeding edge, not leading edge for me because of this.
Point 1 is the biggest drawback I think with the whole electric thing - general use of EV's will not be possible until that can be addressed and I have no clue how it can be. I used to live in a semi detached with no drive/offroad parking - most houses had at least one car and it was nuts trying to find a parking space anywhere near your own house and sometimes on the same street. An EV would have been impossible to make work if I still lived there. The only way that one can currently work for someone in a fairly normal manor, in my opinion, is if you have offroad parking with a home charge point so it's full every morning.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Probably not one for the current climate, but lots of shops and shopping centres have EV parking. Seems an ideal time to top off your 260ish mile range while avoiding the great unwashed and grabbing groceries or ikea furniture etc!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I was offered a 48 hour test drive of the New MINI Electric so I collected it today.

I do silly mileage so truthfully it won't do me but I just wanted to try it out.
I do about 30,000 km's a year currently and 17,000 km's of that is my work commute.

Lovely car, drives great.
Power is insanely good !!
184 bhp and 7.3 0 to 100kph.
Savage acceleration and great roadholding.

Not so good is the range......
Quoted on the website as 270 km's, after a full charge it says 144 km's....!!
The 144 km's range was on Mid mode which is the standard mode, 155 km's range on Green mode and 167 km's range on Green + mode which shuts down the heating and heated seats.

It has only a 32.6 KWH battery, from the i3S.

Honestly it would be ideal for my work commute. I also have on site charging points at work.
However as I enjoy long trips in the car to UK for example, one or twice a year I don't think it would work for me.

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

MiniMpi wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:11 am I was offered a 48 hour test drive of the New MINI Electric so I collected it today.

I do silly mileage so truthfully it won't do me but I just wanted to try it out.
I do about 30,000 km's a year currently and 17,000 km's of that is my work commute.

Lovely car, drives great.
Power is insanely good !!
184 bhp and 7.3 0 to 100kph.
Savage acceleration and great roadholding.

No so good is the range......
Quoted on the website as 270 km's, after a full charge it says 144 km's....!!
The 144 km's range was on Mid mode which is the standard mode, 155 km's range on Green mode and 167 km's range on Green + mode which shuts down the heating and heated seats.
Initial impressions are good then, Ferg? The range and charging infrastructure are the biggest challenges for mass uptake I think. When we have 500 mile range batteries that can be charged in 10 mins, with charging points as convenient as fuel stations then electric will be on a par with petrol/diesel. Until that happens it's nigh on impossible for someone who parks on the street and doesn't have off street parking to run one (unless they have charge points at work and can charge all day everyday there). We like to go away with the dogs a couple of times a year and thats where the challenge will come for us - making sure we rent a cottage within striking distance of a charge point and that there are rapid chargers on route. Fortunately our favourite place to nip for the day with the dogs to run them on the beach, get fish and chips etc.. is only 60 miles away so easily done there and back without charging. Thats the furthest I drive regularly so I'm hoping it will work out all good.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the Mini after you've had it for the 48 hours and giving it a thorough testing. I'm now off to get ready to go and collect my new addition at 2pm - I will report my initial thoughts and a couple of quick pics later :thumbup:
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I guess one point about both you and Ferg's last posts Chris is that the requirement to go a long distance is only literally once or twice a year, for those very occasional trips a petrol/diesel car could be hired for a few hundred quid possibly?

As you say though once the battery technology and charging infrastructure improves, which inevitably it will (whether incrementally or with a major step forward who knows) and then electric becomes completely viable.

Look forward to seeing pics of the e-tron.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:17 am I guess one point about both you and Ferg's last posts Chris is that the requirement to go a long distance is only literally once or twice a year, for those very occasional trips a petrol/diesel car could be hired for a few hundred quid possibly?
Your bang on, Patrick, only having to think about charging etc.. once/twice per year I decided it was worth the risk or, as you point out, hire a vehicle for that period. Plus, we have a petrol car that could be used at short notice etc.. so we should have the perfect combination for our needs. We also pick up Lorraines new (well, new to her, its 11 months old) Audi A1 on Thursday. The Yaris Hybrid is going - it's been a fantastic car for her and does what it says on the tin with no fuss but.....that ******* CVT gearbox! Arghhhhh!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:39 am The Yaris Hybrid is going - it's been a fantastic car for her and does what it says on the tin with no fuss but.....that ******* CVT gearbox! Arghhhhh!
From what point of view, Chris? Unresponsive or sluggish? I must confess that I’m Captain Slow so it doesn’t faze me in the least. I love mine! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)