Would you buy a plug in electric car?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Would you buy a plug in electric car?

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:19 pm
TigerChris wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:39 am The Yaris Hybrid is going - it's been a fantastic car for her and does what it says on the tin with no fuss but.....that ******* CVT gearbox! Arghhhhh!
From what point of view, Chris? Unresponsive or sluggish? I must confess that I’m Captain Slow so it doesn’t faze me in the least. I love mine! :D
The whine it makes when trying to progress a little more swiftly, getting onto motorways etc.. (plus, it is sluggish and unresponsive but its not meant to be any different, it does a job and does it well). The car has been fantastic and, for what she uses it for, its as close to perfect as you can get - as you know, Steve, I sang its praises when you were looking at investing in one it's just the CVT aint for me. It doesn't matter how you drive it though, getting the MPG under 50 is virtually impossible so it does exactly what it's supposed to do and in decent comfort too. I don't even know as electric is for me yet - we shall find out! :D
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Evening everyone, meet Ernie! (No prizes for guessing how he got his name :D ). Not good pics as lights not good now and not long got back from driving around figuring him out.

EBD2E45D-2262-441A-8A8B-68B294CC234E.jpeg
3558D231-2CCD-4544-B9E3-B15A5782E56F.jpeg
2D2DC1C2-123D-4112-8626-34696B6AB96C.jpeg
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Looks good Chris. Ernie, something to do with a milk float I’m guessing.

What are your first impressions of it?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thegreyman wrote:Looks good Chris. Ernie, something to do with a milk float I’m guessing.

Nah, Patrick.

Chris had a win on the Premium Bonds.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:22 pm
Thegreyman wrote:Looks good Chris. Ernie, something to do with a milk float I’m guessing.

Nah, Patrick.

Chris had a win on the Premium Bonds.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Wish I had, Guy. Correct in one, Patrick :thumbup:

Initial impressions are absolutely brilliant. I’ve been using up electricity practising with the regeneration paddles etc... Think I’ll just leave it in auto mode. It’s a little weird having the car slow itself down when you’re coming up to an island, junction, down hill etc... as it takes the info from the navigation system and cameras. The air suspension seems to do its job very well - I just need to get it off road a little to test it properly :D. I need to figure out all the gizmos etc... but after doing a few miles in it the actual driving experience is superb - far better than I thought it would be, the power delivery is superb for such a big lump weighing in at about 2.5t, and so smooth. We’ll see how it holds up over time but, first impressions are very good.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Looks superb, Chris, and it sounds like you are well chuffed. Congrats. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

As a Series Land Rover owner, I'm REALLY looking forward to some (before,during and after) pics of it "going off road". Wading depth?

Joking apart, looks good.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Given the enclosed electrics and motors, I reckon wading depth would be higher than a landy!

As long as you liked wet feet... and knees... and broken internal cabin gizmos :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Today I joined the EV Club - and after one drive I am totally convinced!

Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

No. Even more so as Scotland TransServe have just announced plans to put traffic lights outside the house and put ZigZag lines either side so making it a offence to park out side the house!
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

BobMunro wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:17 pm Today I joined the EV Club - and after one drive I am totally convinced!
Looking good there :thumbup:

I must admit, I'm fairly convinced myself, although I have a little less power than you have! I bet it's fantastic to drive. My E Tron suits my needs and more - I've done a couple of motorway trips now to visit Lorraines parents and had nearly 100 miles range left when I got back so, apart from the odd holiday a year I can't see many occasions where I'll have to charge up on the road. The drive is just so refined and smooth with the air suspension and, although not Porsche quick, it has more power than I'll ever need. The dogs have loads of space too so all good.

Oh, that Q8 looks well too :thumbup:
Pacesetter
Junior
Junior

Post by Pacesetter »

Having had a Jaguar I-Pace for 18 months and covering over 40,000 miles in that time (including the car sitting idle on my drive for the Covid lockdown period) I don't think I would want to go back to an ICE car as my regular daily driver - and that is from someone who makes a living from manufacturing and developing ICE engines for motorsport!
Without a doubt the I-Pace is the best car I have ever had. The smoothness, instant torque and general relaxing drive is fantastic. I have an ICE car sitting in the garage that has done 400 miles between MOT's. I just enjoy driving the I-Pace so much that, even though I determined to keep the mileage down on it this year and use my other car more, it just didn't happen.
However, I would add the caveat that plug-in EV would not be for everyone.
Ideally you need off-road parking and a home charging station, and regular journeys well within the range of the car. In my 40,000 miles I have charged away from home maybe just half a dozen times, even though we have now installed charging points at my place of work. My daily commute is about 120 miles, which I can do easily within the range, and I simply plug the car in when I get home from work (same as I do my phone), and its ready to go next morning with a full "tank".
Hydrogen fuel cell may be the way to go in the future, but the technology is not quite there yet, but in any case I expect that all my future cars will be driven by an electric motor.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

My last 2 company cars have been plug in hybrids. First the audi a3 etron and now the mercedes c350e. They have both been superb to drive but when the time comes round for the next one and assuming I am still employed by then, I will be hoping to go all electric. By then hopefully there will be something nice with a decent range at a lower price with than these lovely examples you have been so pleased with.
The owner of my company has always been really good with me with company cars but if I showed him a pic of a high performance electric porsche I may be pushing my luck a little :lol:
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Rivian is about to be a success story. The sad and frustrating part is that it’s not open to public investment. The fortunes will be made by a few companies. Amazon, an evil empire run by Satan that makes $0.00 off of me, is going to make the most.

I will never own a Rivian until they buy Amazon out. But they won’t because they’re obviously demented scum since they made a deal with Amazon.
Barryboy

Post by Barryboy »

Until a few years ago I ran a Lexus CT200H - a 'mild hybrid' which even in its limited way wetted my taste for EV driving. However a job change meant that I needed a load-lugger so bought a VW Golf diesel estate that is a really excellent car that returns 50 mpg on a run, but it's a diesel. I am now retired and thinking along the lines of a PHEV. In truth I think an electric only range of 25 miles or so would suit me fine for the vast majority of the time with the odd longer journey such as my occasional run from Cardiff to the south of Bristol being on fossil fuel. My heart says that I would rather a full electric vehicle but predictably enough range is the worry.... cars with a real world range of 200 miles are at present outside my budget so my head says PHEV is the way to go (but definitely not the BMW REX :lol: ). There's also the consideration of the installation of a charger which alone can cost the thick end of £1000

Now as I understand it the only diesel PHEVs are the Volvo 60 range (at least in my price bracket - Audi and Mercedes are just too costly) but they are 2.4 litre engines and I have no need of anything of that capacity so a petrol PHEV it will have to be until such time as full EVs with sufficient range come into my budget.