F1 2022 / 2023 / 2024 Motorsport Thread

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: F1 2021 Motorsport Thread

Post by jtc »

Malcolm if you've not seen Drive To Survive on Netflix, I'd recommend it for an F1 newcomer. It's a little dramatised (and has added sound effects to glorify certain events) but has great behind the scenes access. It also makes for entertaining "behind the scenes in the paddock" viewing in some episodes...
These users thanked the author jtc for the post (total 2):
mvlowstrapline
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

jtc wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:21 pm Malcolm if you've not seen Drive To Survive on Netflix, I'd recommend it for an F1 newcomer. It's a little dramatised (and has added sound effects to glorify certain events) but has great behind the scenes access. It also makes for entertaining "behind the scenes in the paddock" viewing in some episodes...
Thanks Jon. I've already binge watched all three seasons and really enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff. I've also watch Schumacher and Shelby on Netflix, and Lauda on Amazon Prime and enjoyed them all. Even though Shelby was not F1 I still really enjoyed the history on the man and his competition with Ferrari.
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
jtc
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

jtc wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:21 pm Malcolm if you've not seen Drive To Survive on Netflix, I'd recommend it for an F1 newcomer. It's a little dramatised (and has added sound effects to glorify certain events) but has great behind the scenes access. It also makes for entertaining "behind the scenes in the paddock" viewing in some episodes...
I have recently caught the F1 bug, too. It came about after watching ‘The drive to survive’. I hadn’t realised there was so much going on outside the racing itself. I’d love to go to an actual GP, the noise, atmosphere and overall spectacle must be quite something.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
mvlow
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

mvlow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 pm I am fascinated by the variety of technical decisions that go into making the podium. I never appreciated how much of a team event it actually is. Everything from decisions regarding the number and timing of pit stops, when to change tires, the teams partner driver assisting etc.
So many decisions. Forget that the designers are generally at least 6 months ahead in the design (so designers now will mostly be working on a car being raced six months from now - although at this current time that's kind of a redundant statement what with the massive rules change around the corner and design freezes that happened) so the outcome of last weekends race can probably be traced back to some decisions made 6+ months ago. They have simulations for all the different scenarios that could happen - and these are updated during the race with clever machines updating models with 'the race as it is now'. It's a fascinating environment; the tech is amazing as are the people. All of those that I worked with were definitely at the top of their game. I'm glad to read it's still bringing in new viewers.

This is going to be classic case of "in my time" but even though the engines sound great now, the V10/V12 (admittedly I've heard more of these at historic racing events than actual races) - even the V8 - eras were incredible for the sound. Being trackside while a V8 went past shook every fibre of my body. I took my Dad to Spa for a significant birthday though, and the V6s there going up Eau Rouge were simply incredible too, though. (But quieter in comparison!)
These users thanked the author monkeymax for the post:
mvlow
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

I think the best part of the current V6s is the overrun. They sound so volatile under braking, especially the Honda (went to Silverstone for the Friday this year). Without the MGU-H I can imagine they'd spit as much fire as the F2 engines.

Of all the high rev sounds of F1 gone by, the creamy scream of a V10 is still my favourite.
These users thanked the author jtc for the post:
mvlow
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

The watch sponsorships for F1 are interesting as well. I'm sure the drivers enjoy wearing the free watches that are loaned or given to them by their sponsors. Most of the watches are out of my comfort level as far as price, IWC, Tag Heuer, Richard Mille, Bell & Ross, etc. but The Alpha Tauri sponsorship of Casio Edifice, could be a beater watch for me in the near future. I wonder if the Alpha Tauri drivers are a little envious of the watches other teams are loaned or gifted :)

Here's a video by Kym Illman discussing all of the current F1 watch sponsorships.

https://youtu.be/IhhJrLRQHd8
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Fully expecting the Red Bull Honda tribute livery, to get plenty of coverage this weekend.

Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
ziphos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by ziphos »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:40 pm Fully expecting the Red Bull Honda tribute livery, to get plenty of coverage this weekend.
I prefer this to the standard livery, it should also be easier to spot the Red Bull cars on the TV coverage.
CW C60 pro 300, C60 pro 600, C60 pro 600 GMT, C60 Titanium V2, C65 Trident Classic, C7 Rapide, C63
Omega Speedmaster Professional, Speedmaster Racing, Seamaster (1950's)
Breitling 2x Aerospace
Also: Borealis Bulova Casio Scurfa
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Hamilton starting from the back of the Sprint grid, and then taking a 5 place penalty into the race on Sunday, has all but sewn up Max as this year's WDC!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Wow, great race at the front. Shame Max's petulance overshadowed a tough bit of competitive racing.

If Lewis wins every remaining race, the championship could come down to Max's sprint race points. Contentious, as next year the points will have their own championship, so a one off rule set for this season.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

What a victory by Lewis despite a total of 25 places of a penalty over the weekend, and in spite of the FIA’s apparent leniency towards rule breaking by Red Bull and Verstappen
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesSoporscheBahnstormer_vRS
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Looking forward to this weekends event - just hope we have no bad accidents because from what I've seen high speed, narrow for an F1 track and lots of blind corners.

Fully expecting red flags in every session.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

^^^^
I hopei its going to be super exciting. Expect to see a lot of nervousness around put stop strategy in relation to safety cars and tyre wear will also be difficult to judge.
The high speed should suit both the top teams but the narrow stuff and corners will demand some downhole, tricky technical compromise.
All very interesting and hope it gets settled on track and not off it!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

I think F2 will be a little more exciting this weekend. F1 will largely be a procession, unless something happens to get Max closer to the Mercedes cars.
These users thanked the author jtc for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback