F1 2022 / 2023 / 2024 Motorsport Thread

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: F1 2021 Motorsport Thread

Post by tikkathree »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:56 am ^^^^ Yes, Pete, a bit of a contradiction.

As Stephen says; The position of the Teams Garages/Boxes in the Pits is determined by Constructor's Championship position from the previous year (except at Silverstone where to lead Constructor gets to be in the middle where they can be seen). This year, Mercedes have the 1st box as they enter the pits; Williams the last.

This means that Lewis would have entered the pits and stopped in his box BUT would then have needed to wait until the rest of the field had filed by, before he could be released, with no doubt some other cars being released ahead of him. Dammed if he did; dammed if he didn't.

Should the field have not all come into the pits but taken up positions on the grid for a restart, as they usually do, they would have lined up in track position order at the moment the race had been stopped (not the original race start positions as determined by qualifying).

Make sense?

Guy
Soporsche wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:33 am ^^ as i understand it the box/garage positions are based on last years championship result (hence Russell getting out 1st), that garage position would have potentially meant Hamilton having to wait to pull out and been towards the back or mid pack from the pits.. so I think they meant lined up in the pits as opposed to lined up for the restart, though the one may have led to the other if they then had to standing start based on on track positions after everyone left the pits and came round to grid.
Ah right, thanks for that chaps. So, all told, a smart move to stay out and not get hooked up in unsafe releases or tactical shenanigans by anyone further along the pitlane.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ The safe option, yes.

Except he had to come in after one lap (in the lead) and whilst in the pits everyone else overtook him blasting down the main straight.

He came out of the pits in 14th (last) place.

Dammed if he did; dammed if he didn't.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

I thought russel nipped up the inside of those already queuing at the end of the pitlane and then had to give the places back - unfair overtake
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:07 pm ^^^^ The safe option, yes.

Except he had to come in after one lap (in the lead) and whilst in the pits everyone else overtook him blasting down the main straight.

He came out of the pits in 14th (last) place.
Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
And what a piece of driving to finish the race in second place, Guy. I suppose detractors will talk about the car, but Hamilton seems to be one hell of a driver. I'm new to the whole F1 thing, only started watching a few races after getting really in to the F1 series on Netflix. Haven't watched F1 in years, certainly since Sky took over the viewing reins.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A very exciting race that had me on the edge of my seat. From the crazy start (oh dear Valtteri) to Lewis somehow going from first to last within a lap, to him trying to get through the field on the most difficult track on the calendar to overtake (leaving aside the farce that is the Monaco GP).
Great battle with Alonso that definitely cost Lewis the win as he would have caught and overtaken Vettel and Ocon I feel if he had another couple of laps.

It is a shame for Vettel as good to see him do well the last couple of races.

Max has been pretty unlucky although Christian Horner should take a good look in the mirror with some of the drivel he has come out with. It will be interesting to see if these races are a turning point or whether Red Bull still have the better car overall going into the second half of the season.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

josbrownlie wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:10 pm I thought russel nipped up the inside of those already queuing at the end of the pitlane and then had to give the places back - unfair overtake
That makes far more sense than what I thought heard. Clearly I missed a key piece of information in the comments at some point.
Drew
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Disappointing that the race stewards were slow with their decisions in Spa Q3 today. Pretty obvious it was dangerous with poor and worsening visibility and someone was going to crash.

Yes Norris should've backed off, but he's paid to drive and he certainly was committed going through Eau Rouge.

Apparently he's ok and great to see George get on the front row on merit.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Dreadful conditions on Sunday at Spa. The race should have been cancelled, rather than the farce of the procession behind the safety car for two laps, announcing that as a result and awarding half points. It would be shameful if they do not refund fans for their Sunday tickets.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ddav »

" Cash is king" as someone once said

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I don't think the Grand Prix looked like sport yesterday. It looked like a stitch up to get verstappen some more points.

Maybe that was a by product of a financial decision though.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

What happened yesterday will make for a good pub quiz question.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

JAFO wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:13 am I don't think the Grand Prix looked like sport yesterday. It looked like a stitch up to get verstappen some more points.

Maybe that was a by product of a financial decision though.
I agree with this. The whole situation was a total fudge from making the start a non-start, the stewards deciding that they would play their "joker" card and stop the countdown so they could then send all the cars out in worse conditions than the "non-starter" lap to complete 2 laps behind the safety car to allow some points to be passed around.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:12 am Dreadful conditions on Sunday at Spa. The race should have been cancelled, rather than the farce of the procession behind the safety car for two laps, announcing that as a result and awarding half points. It would be shameful if they do not refund fans for their Sunday tickets.
About as likely, I fancy, as Bernie Ecclestone and his wife joining the Triorchy male voice choir. It was all very well dear Lewis voicing the view that fans should have been refunded but the implication there is that the teams wouldn't get whatever they normally get for turning out.

I watched one broadcaster/interviewer asking why they couldn't just run the race on Monday instead. Ignoring the weather I suppose all the marshalls could have phoned in sick at their weekday workplaces?

Is Spa the wrong venue for current crop of F1 cars? Maybe. :shock:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

It's a shame the weather didn't work out and while I wanted to see a race, if they had raced, it would have been expensive. Lot's of cars would have been destroyed I have no doubt.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:44 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:12 am Dreadful conditions on Sunday at Spa. The race should have been cancelled, rather than the farce of the procession behind the safety car for two laps, announcing that as a result and awarding half points. It would be shameful if they do not refund fans for their Sunday tickets.
About as likely, I fancy, as Bernie Ecclestone and his wife joining the Triorchy male voice choir. It was all very well dear Lewis voicing the view that fans should have been refunded but the implication there is that the teams wouldn't get whatever they normally get for turning out.

I watched one broadcaster/interviewer asking why they couldn't just run the race on Monday instead. Ignoring the weather I suppose all the marshalls could have phoned in sick at their weekday workplaces?

Is Spa the wrong venue for current crop of F1 cars? Maybe. :shock:
The CEO of F1, Stefano Domenicali, has come out today and said they will speak to the Belgian race organisers to see what can be done about refunding fans, so there may be some joy there.

I think the issue of a Monday race was logistics, the whole of F1 has to move on for the next race in the Netherlands this weekend.

I think Spa is one of the great F1 circuits and mixed weather normally makes for a great and unpredictable race, unfortunately there was just no break in the weather this weekend.
Patrick