What are you drinking right now....?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: What are you drinking right now....?

Post by Jkpa »

Coffee. AAAHHHH
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

An interesting IPA from Odell.

rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Robotaz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:12 am An interesting IPA from Odell.

Love a good IPA! :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I don’t mind IPAs, but I usually go the opposite direction when drinking beer...
These on tap for tonight. Sharing with my dad as they are all above 10% and we’re lightweights :lol:

7A5B7BF2-11F3-4CE3-98C5-F8DCA673EF86.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve just made the worst margarita I’ve ever had. I guess that’s what I get for using cheap vodka, cheap triple sec, and bottle lime juice.

E37FFB77-F9E5-49C3-BF52-FBF3345A64B0.jpeg
Drew
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Crooked Stave sour...

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Islay Malts. Takes me back.

When I lived in Scotland I was a housemaster in a small boarding school near Pitlochry in the southern Highlands. I had a lovely flat on the top floor of the school, with a big sitting room and an open fireplace. I used to keep a supply of seasoned logs in an outbuilding and I would make up a lovely fire on a freezing winter night. Pull up a big leather armchair, put on some nice music and pour a dram of Laphroaig or something I have no chance of spelling properly. My favourite was Port Ellen, but you need a mortgage on that stuff nowadays. Caol Ila was another favourite
Anyway, I just dug out a bottle of Laphroaig, poured a dram, took a sniff of that smoky, peaty nectar, took a sip, and the memories come flooding back.

Slàinte Mhath! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:39 pm Islay Malts. Takes me back.

When I lived in Scotland I was a housemaster in a small boarding school near Pitlochry in the southern Highlands. I had a lovely flat on the top floor of the school, with a big sitting room and an open fireplace. I used to keep a supply of seasoned logs in an outbuilding and I would make up a lovely fire on a freezing winter night. Pull up a big leather armchair, put on some nice music and pour a dram of Laphroaig or something I have no chance of spelling properly. My favourite was Port Ellen, but you need a mortgage on that stuff nowadays. Caol Ila was another favourite
Anyway, I just dug out a bottle of Laphroaig, poured a dram, took a sniff of that smoky, peaty nectar, took a sip, and the memories come flooding back.

Slàinte Mhath! :D
That’s a great story! Laphroaig is perfectly suited to that scenario.

I made an Old Fashion last night, and I imagine I’ll be repeating tonight. A cocktail after shoveling snow sounds perfect. And with a snow day tomorrow, no need to worry about waking up early in the morning.

CCFCEF30-3A58-4394-9F16-E5824678C124.jpeg
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

While I’m drinking a beer at the moment, Bitburger Festbier, I’ll be breaking in my new toy later this evening! Anyone have experience with absinthe they can share?

0916E742-657E-41F6-8674-138E7122EDC2.jpeg
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

The absinthe is being pushed to tomorrow.

Instead it’s sambuca for me and Rumple Minze for the Mrs. (I suppose I should refer to her as Brett, since my user name is a reference to Jake Barnes.)

E0AABB60-1FDB-41DD-972B-8F8A89A9D210.jpeg
Drew
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Does absinthe really have something about it that makes it different from any typical alcoholic drink? I’ve heard stuff over the years, but it seems like most stories are just people tying one on and acting like it was special.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:12 am ...but it seems like most stories are just people tying one on and acting like it was special.
From everything I’ve read, that’s exactly it. I think a lot of the bad publicity was stirred up by the French wine industry worried because absinthe was becoming so popular.
Drew
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

jkbarnes wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:12 am ...but it seems like most stories are just people tying one on and acting like it was special.
From everything I’ve read, that’s exactly it. I think a lot of the bad publicity was stirred up by the French wine industry worried because absinthe was becoming so popular.
Wikipedia says it’s traditionally up to 148 proof. lol

There’s the “something extra”!
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:41 am
jkbarnes wrote:

I heard that way back in the day when it was made using heavier concentration of wormwood, it could cause some hallucinations. Is that true? I don’t know, just something I recall hearing a long time ago from a source I can’t remember. I could look it up on the interweb and find out, I guess. That wouldn’t be much fun though.

These days it’s not made the same way. I bought a bottle once, it was 120 proof. Strong, but sadly no hallucinations.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

ajax87 wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:41 am
jkbarnes wrote: From everything I’ve read, that’s exactly it. I think a lot of the bad publicity was stirred up by the French wine industry worried because absinthe was becoming so popular.

I heard that way back in the day when it was made using heavier concentration of wormwood, it could cause some hallucinations. Is that true? I don’t know, just something I recall hearing a long time ago from a source I can’t remember. I could look it up on the interweb and find out, I guess. That wouldn’t be much fun though.

These days it’s not made the same way. I bought a bottle once, it was 120 proof. Strong, but sadly no hallucinations.
It has a component that seems to somehow work on the same receptors as THC, but of course in the US, regulators force vendors to assure the absinthe has none of that in it. In the spirit of this being a happy watch forum I’ll withhold my opinion of our government, but I will say it’s extremely disappointing, and typical.