Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Minis

Post by bspj »

Ferg and friends,
Have you seen the spec on the new F56 Mini?
Bigger, lighter, more refined and with three-cylinder engines rated at 100Kw (except the S which remains a turbo four at about 140Kw).
Steve
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: Minis

Post by MiniMpi »

I have Steve :)
It will be a very impressive I'd say. The styling will take a while to get used to though for me.......now saying that when the R56 came out no one liked that either ! Now I Love the styling of the R56 so it should be good. One thing though I'd that I personally feel the interior has lost a lot of the charm :(
'Normal' switches instead of cool MINI switches, square air vents instead of round ones.....moving the lovely window flick switches to the door...
Little things like that I think made the car unique ;)
Interesting to see one and how it develops though. Engine wise I'd say it will be a rocket :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by bspj »

MiniMpi wrote:I have Steve :)
It will be a very impressive I'd say. The styling will take a while to get used to though for me.......now saying that when the R56 came out no one liked that either ! Now I Love the styling of the R56 so it should be good. One thing though I'd that I personally feel the interior has lost a lot of the charm :(
'Normal' switches instead of cool MINI switches, square air vents instead of round ones.....moving the lovely window flick switches to the door...
Little things like that I think made the car unique ;)
Interesting to see one and how it develops though. Engine wise I'd say it will be a rocket :D

If the three is a BM developed three it should be brilliant. We've two five series and their sixes are wonderful, and on the premise that three is 'half a six' (although inherently imbalanced) it should be great, particularly at high revs. But it'd be the turbo four for you, wouldn't it?
Tho' it will miss out inside on the 'round theme', I prefer window switches on the door. (Sorry).
Steve
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

BMW sixes are just sooooooo gorgeous, had a very early E30 325i before, love the sound :) and the tail slides lol
Yeah it will just take getting used to really and most MINI people will get to like it I'd say.
The original is always the nicest, like in watches too like the C3 ;)

bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by bspj »

MiniMpi wrote:BMW sixes are just sooooooo gorgeous...
The original is always the nicest, like in watches too like the C3 ;)

I have an E39 530i Sport (2001) and a 2012 F11 530d. Logically, the F11 is the better, but I've kept the E39 for nearly thirteen years because it's brilliant to drive, far better than the E60 525 my wife had, and better than the electrically steered F10/11. So often progress is only in certain dimensions: a vector rather than scalar quantity.
Steve
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Great selection of cars there Steve !
The Generation 1 R50/53 MINI is much more an enthusiasts car, easy to mod, feels raw etc.
The Generation 2 R56 is a much more accomplished car, but great fun to drive and much faster.
I never thought anything could be better than my 2002 R53 Cooper S with the supercharger but the minute I drove my current 2007 R56 Cooper S I knew it was the one for me, so much improved and fabulous FUN :)

Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

I envy you guys who can fit into a mini, my leg braces don't allow me the room. :(
Zermatt
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 7

Post by Zermatt »

Hi Ferg

It does seem a shame that the new Mini seems to have lost some charm looking in the photos but as you say . It's not easy to replace an Iconic shape . I think a lot of modern BMWs have lost some of their sparkle - a lot of us E85 Z4 bus have stayed in them as the E89 Z4 is more of a GT car - looks very resolved is very grown up but lost a bit of character.

I think for me if I was buying a hot hatch it would be the pug 208 GTi- probably due to wanting a 205 GTI as a teenager .
C700 , C7 Bluebird ,C60 Charcoal on Rubber, C10 2013 FLE , C65 Trident White on Brown Leather, C65 Trident Black on Bracelet , C60 MkII GMT
Omega Seamaster 300M- Omega Seamaster Crosshair
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

Nice change at the front (particularly the DRL's).

I recently bought an R61 Paceman All4 and have quite enjoyed driving it (having been a Mini Cooper owner in the 70's).
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Nice to hear you are a MINI owner Paul :)

atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Nothing'll match the 1275gt I once owned (thank goodness).
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

Ferg,

I also have a Merc ML but was looking for a smaller 4x4 and the Paceman in ALL4 works really well. The addition of the 4 wheel drive to the mini makes it a great car to drive.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

atnits wrote:Nothing'll match the 1275gt I once owned (thank goodness).
Indeed, a great car.

I have also owned a 1968 Wolseley Hornet(posh version of the Mini) which I converted into a full Historic Stage Rally car that myself and my brother as navigator competed in numerous road rallies in Ireland and also used as my daily drive for 7 years and also owned a mint 22,000 mile red 1998 Mini MPI(hence the username...! Multipoint injection model). Moved onto an R53 2002 MINI Cooper S which I extensively modified, MINI GP replica etc.
And now have my R56 2007 MINI Cooper S.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

PaulWB wrote:Ferg,

I also have a Merc ML but was looking for a smaller 4x4 and the Paceman in ALL4 works really well. The addition of the 4 wheel drive to the mini makes it a great car to drive.
Sounds like a lovely MINI Paul, Enjoy :)
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by bspj »

I had a 1275 GT for a few months. My mother had a Clubman 1100 which I quite liked, and I thought the 1275 would be a modern Cooper (it was the 70s).
It wasn't.
Steve