This space is reserved
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Minis

Post by Bident »

MiniMpi wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:04 pm Here's a photo of the display Guy :

I never bothered to see if my gas (petrol) engine has a dipstick (it's also the three cylinder), and sure enough, it is absent!

Because I have the plug in hybrid, my engine hasn't ever been sufficiently warmed up to take a measurement. There is a little rectangular box in the corner of the oil level display though that says Measurement Okay (or something like that).

Thanks for the tip, Ferg!
Best regards,
John
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I'm half thinking of changing my MINI for a new one.
Only have it since July last year but I do a lot of mileage, 38,000 km's on it already.
So next year there will be at least double that on it and the value will have dropped drastically, it's already lost a huge amount.

I did contemplate the Electric MINI but they are stupidly expensive over here and also the range just won't cut it for the mileage I do.

I'm thinking of a Cooper Sport 1.5 in Chilli Red, comes with the JCW bodykit & interior pack etc so looks well.
Ideally I want to go automatic this time, DCT, it is another two grand on top though....I'm just sick of changing gear :lol: I think it's an age thing !
I always go to the same dealer which is in another county but very very good.
However, just to gauge prices and to get another quote I went to my local dealer who generally has a bad reputation. I could still go to my normal dealer for servicing and warranty etc though.
Much cheaper, has some cars in stock unlike my normal dealer.
Ideal car is in stock but a manual, I found out that they had just registered it which was a pity as our plates change in January and July so I'd have this year's last plate. I would get a good discount on it though......I'm giving it a lot of thought.
I haven't even started the usual legendary Ferg haggling yet :lol: and he's offered me nearly two grand off the car in stock.
They are coming back to me later in the week with some quotes, on the car in stock and also against a new one with the DCT.
Another thing pulling me to this dealer is that the business manager I always dealt with in my normal dealer has now moved to my local dealer and she always does her best for me for the last three MINI's.

So we'll see how it goes, to be honest my current MINI is just gorgeous so it's no hardship to keep it if I can't afford to change now.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

That's some mileage on this tiny little island of ours, Ferg! I'm sure you'll make the right choice in the end, these things usually present themselves to a person. Bear in mind that CW have a C60 concept on the horizon, that might stall the car. :lol: :lol:

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
MiniMpi
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Thanks Des ;)

The mileage is mostly work commute unfortunately.

I only was curious the other day on what I'd have to pay to change and it's kind of taken hold now.
I may wait till during next year to do it depending on the figures they come back with.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

MiniMpi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:20 am Ideally I want to go automatic this time, DCT, it is another two grand on top though....I'm just sick of changing gear :lol: I think it's an age thing !
I’m not a great fan of motoring, as you know. However, having made the change to automatic a couple of years ago I definitely wouldn’t change back. I know mine is rather different, a hybrid that delivers 60 mpg and doesn’t have stunning performance, but I appreciate being able to stick it in D and just forget about it.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
MiniMpi
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:09 am I’m not a great fan of motoring, as you know. However, having made the change to automatic a couple of years ago I definitely wouldn’t change back. I know mine is rather different, a hybrid that delivers 60 mpg and doesn’t have stunning performance, but I appreciate being able to stick it in D and just forget about it.
My brother has had automatics for the last three cars and I drive his car occasionally, it has changed the way I drive a lot.
The only consideration is that the road tax over here is done on emissions and the auto will be dearer to tax.

But yes I agree with you Steve, makes for happy motoring.
These users thanked the author MiniMpi for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

MiniMpi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am But yes I agree with you Steve, makes for happy motoring.
I never minded the gear changing on twisty country roads or in hilly country. I had a 205GTi when I lived in Scotland and it was a hoot! However, motoring in the south and east of England is not nearly so interesting. We only have a couple of major dual carriageways in Norfolk and not a single mile of motorway, but most of the roads still go through villages and there are constant changes of speed limit. Suffolk is even worse.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
MiniMpi
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

MiniMpi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:20 am I'm half thinking of changing my MINI for a new one.
Only have it since July last year but I do a lot of mileage, 38,000 km's on it already.
So next year there will be at least double that on it and the value will have dropped drastically, it's already lost a huge amount.
Just to play devil's advocate Ferg. If you have already owned your car for 15 months and done a fair few miles (kms), although the depreciation to date might be quite high, generally the depreciation curve flattens off each year so the value it loses in year 2, 3, 4 will be less each year. It is likely to cost you less just to hang on to it, rather than buy a new car and be in the same position in a year's time having suffered the first year hit.

Having said all of this, used car residuals are very strong just now in the UK (I assume the same in ROI) and so the cost to change may be lower than it would have been a year ago. Of course there is always the excitement of a new purchase to factor in, whether a car or watch :) I went auto for my current car and it does take the strain out of driving.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Thanks for that Patrick ;)
I'll await the quotes and if it's not too bad I may change and if the quotes are too high I'll pause the idea for another while.

The temptation is the just registered MINI with everything bar the DCT for a big chunk less than a new one, another factor is that the 'fabulous' government over here have just upped the VRT on new cars by about another €1000 so a new one will be even more expensive.

Choices choices.....
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

Trade in values have gone sky high here in the UK, about 3 months ago when I enquired about purchasing the new shape Nissan Qashqai the dealer said they'd give me the same price for mine as I originally paid for it, I've got a 2020 (70 plate) Qashqai Tekna+

2 weeks ago I also enquired about a brand new BMW X5 M Sport and I was offered £2,000 more for my Qashqai than I originally paid.
These users thanked the author malvern_man for the post:
MiniMpi
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Very excited for you, Ferg! I would definitely go with the DCT if at all possible. I haven't had a manual transmission since 2001, and I don't miss it. Automatics are so much better than they were 20 years ago, both clutch type and traditional torque converters. I think globally traffic congestion has steadily grown worse, and manual transmissions to me are only fun in those rare moments I'm not caught in traffic.

Wishing you the best whatever the decision. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Bident for the post:
MiniMpi
Best regards,
John
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I still love manuals and feel that I can still enjoy them over in the west of Ireland; far less cars on the road than in my former home England. Also, every mile of road is not being tracked by a speed camera, just a few of the mobile sort in my county. I do enjoy an auto though, particularly the more upmarket saloons. There's always sport mode when nobody is looking. :lol: :lol:

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
MiniMpi
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ An excellent conundrum to have at the moment Ferg. :wink: :wink: and, if I may, to pick up on some comments, in no particular order, made over the last 24-48 hours.

1. Its good news that staff member you valued at you current garage is now working at your local one. Much as you hadn't fancied dealing with your local garage before, it gives you good reason to do so now.

MiniMpi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am . . . . . . .
The only consideration is that the road tax over here is done on emissions and the auto will be dearer to tax.
I'm sorry Ferg but I don't get this.

A DCT is mechanically efficient as it is, in simplistic terms, an automatically operated manual transmission. There should therefore be minimal difference vs. a manual gearbox on CO2 emissions / WLTP Consumption figures.

From my recent car change exploits I had a thought on this and checked some data that I'd read; that is that the manual and DSG (auto) Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch have identical CO2 and WLTP figures, with a bonus of the DSG being 0.1sec quicker o-60mph. :grin: :grin:

3. Patrick has written a lot of sense relating to cost of ownership and depreciation. Worth bearing in mind.

4. Its also worth bearing in mind that, for a new MINI production schedules (for all manufacturers) are very much a case of 'how long is a piece of string'. I don't believe you can get a clear delivery date beyond, probably, some time in 2022. :-k :-k

5. DCT is the way to go to my mind. Its sooo much more relaxing to drive in the long run and, as has been mentioned, you've always got the Sport setting, or better still paddle shift manual (standard or option), for when you really want to play.

6. It will perhaps be a bit of a pity to let your current car go, having only recently got it configured as you would like it (door trims?) but on the other hand; hey ho, why not!

Here's a suggestion for you.

Why not follow though and, subject to finance, do the change now for a stock manual car on which you can get a good P/X price and deal; even if it isn't quite your 'perfect car', with a view of keeping it only 18-24 months; by which time (hopefully) the World will have sorted itself out and production / delivery are back to normal? You can then look to order a new car with DCT and to your spec for options for delivery in a sensible timeframe. This is one of my thoughts of what to do with 'Toys'.

Hope that the above is of help.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
MiniMpi
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:02 am ^^^^ An excellent conundrum to have at the moment Ferg. :wink: :wink: and, if I may, to pick up on some comments, in no particular order, made over the last 24-48 hours.
Great insights as always Guy, Many Thanks :thumbup:

I've gotten a call back from the local dealer yesterday, he said he can't make the stock car work for me on PCP as they can do a better PCP deal on a new order car.
He gave me a quote on a new MINI with the DCT but basic otherwise and unlike the UK where the trade in value is excellent.......I was offered €20,500 which is about €11,000 down on what I paid for it...
Also the monthly would go up, not by much, another €60 a month.
The deposit though would be way too high at €4000.

So......I'm still waiting on my quote from the dealer I always go to, he said he'll have it for me this Saturday.

So tune in then for the next installment :lol: