Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: What book are you reading

Post by scooter »

How coincidental Antony.

We were at Greenway on Thursday.

That's Sue finishing off the last chapter of her latest whodunit.

'There will always be Folliats at Nasse House.'

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

The mirror and the light by Hilary Mantel. I am not gripped in the way I was with the first two books in the trilogy.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Budman2k
Junior
Junior

Post by Budman2k »

Guitar King,- Michael Bloomfield's Life in the Blues
Half way through and thoroughly enjoying it
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

16665C98-7768-4DAE-BB3C-30B1EAB6C092.jpeg
Part of my research for the book on Cyprus I’m starting to write. I was given this recently and it looks interesting. Durrell spent some time there teaching English and the book seems to deal with the struggles by the OKEA against British rule in the 1950s and the rise of the Enosis movement.

Strangely, the people I know in Cyprus are very pro-British and it’s difficult indeed to get them to talk about this period of history. They kind of clam up.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

In addition to finishing The Silk Roads which I posted about earlier, I also read Paris: The Novel by Edward Rutherford. It was a wonderful story, weaving together the lives of multiple families over 500+ years, with Paris as a background. The interwoven family histories provoke some interesting questions about class and religion in society. I’m still digesting it and am looking forward to discussing it with the friend who recommended it. I might even read it a second time to fully take in the story.

F953D025-FAC4-40B4-B114-5B0B0E86294C.jpeg
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:58 pmParis: The Novel[/i] by Edward Rutherford.
Interesting writer, Rutherfurd. He always does pretty much the same thing, but he does it very well. I’ve read the first three: Sarum, Russka and London. I haven’t read any of the others, and obviously read the first three years ago.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:31 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:58 pmParis: The Novel[/i] by Edward Rutherford.
Interesting writer, Rutherfurd. He always does pretty much the same thing, but he does it very well. I’ve read the first three: Sarum, Russka and London. I haven’t read any of the others, and obviously read the first three years ago.
It’s certainly not great literature, but the interwoven stories were a pleasant and enjoyable read. I’m a true Francophile and lover of Paris, so that was the primary appeal for me. Once I got over the absurdity of these same families having their paths cross multiple times over hundreds of years, I was able to relax and enjoy the story. It was slow at times, exciting at others, but over all a good vacation read. And as a history teacher, I enjoyed the attention to detail in the history woven throughout the story.

When I took a look at his other titles, I sensed they might be more of the same. I think I’ll read London before any future trip to England.
Drew
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

History how they build 747
image.jpg
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:14 pm When I took a look at his other titles, I sensed they might be more of the same. I think I’ll read London before any future trip to England.
Sarum is to my mind a better novel, more believable perhaps because the families keep crossing and recrossing one another in a much smaller and more intimate environment. It’s interesting that he has tried to repeat the genre with ever bigger and more ambitious canvases. Sarum would certainly give you a greater feel of what we might call Quintessential Englishness!

Plus an added bonus – its centrepiece is quite possibly the greatest building in English history – certainly one of them, at any rate. Contrast with Ken Follett, The Pillars of the Earth.
Steve

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:36 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:14 pm When I took a look at his other titles, I sensed they might be more of the same. I think I’ll read London before any future trip to England.
Sarum is to my mind a better novel, more believable perhaps because the families keep crossing and recrossing one another in a much smaller and more intimate environment. It’s interesting that he has tried to repeat the genre with ever bigger and more ambitious canvases. Sarum would certainly give you a greater feel of what we might call Quintessential Englishness!

Plus an added bonus – its centrepiece is quite possibly the greatest building in English history – certainly one of them, at any rate. Contrast with Ken Follett, The Pillars of the Earth.
Thanks fore recommendation! I’ll definitely check it out.
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Korkki wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:14 pm History how they build 747

image.jpg
A Haynes manual for a 747 :lol: Have looked it up I can see it is a genuine book although of course not quite the detail of a Haynes MG manual for tinkering on a Sunday afternoon.

I think I've only flown once on a 747, generally the long haul flights I used to do with work were generally on 777's. Anyway I was transiting through Bangkok back to London in the early 2000's and I think they had technical issues and wheeled out an old 747 that genuinely looked like it had been in service for about 30 years without a re-fit, the seats were still in 70's brown velour and despite being in the first row of business class the only TV screen was a large one on the bulkhead behind me so no movies for me :? The flight also took about 15 hours to get to London as the direct route would have taken it over Afghanistan where there was fighting at that time so it took a major detour. They are out of service now pretty much so I doubt the chance to fly on one again has gone.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Korkki »

Oh yes, it's genuine 8)
I do have a few "workshop manuals" more to fix airplanes :lol:
A823D58A-35CA-4A61-9C2E-B6C014B73D64.jpeg
Seriously, the 747 man is a good reference to look up what parts etc. they are talking about in the other book. As you said, it's not a "real" owner's manual to fix up a 747, but a book by Haynes.

I was on a 747 when it landed to Miami Int. in the middle of a thunderstorm. I was sitting in the last row in the tourist class (we call it "pig department"). I was so far away from the GC and the plane tail went side to side, up and down - my tooth fillings were about to fly out :lol: That was a real shaker :lol:
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
osmosis786

Post by osmosis786 »

Trying to finish up the final installment in the Wolf Hall series; "The Mirror and the Light".

Big fan of historical figures, especially those who (supposedly) pulled the strings behind the throne/crown.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Just about to start this. I loved his books on Myths and Heroes, and I’ve been looking forward to this for quite a while.

84D47A3A-40B6-4783-8244-FA026B6A4699.jpeg
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Fat-Sam
Steve