josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: What book are you reading

Post by josbrownlie »

Just finished The Secret Barrister by Jack Hawkins
Screenshot_20181213-192549.png
Then went on to Past Tense by Lee Child (part of Jack reacher series)
Screenshot_20181213-192556.png
And currently reading about stock markets and investments

Screenshot_20181213-192601.png
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
Lev
CW-watches: 1

Post by Lev »

Thomas Molnar - The emerging Atlantic culture
C3 Chronograph
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Currently listening to Andy McNabb's bravo two zero on audible
Attachments
Screenshot_20190506-185214.png
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by james80 »

Just finished Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Lee McCormack and Brian Lopes.

If you have any interest in trail riding a mountain bike I cannot recommend it highly enough, it is the single best thing I’ve done for my riding and it made me noticeably quicker almost overnight.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan

Absolutely brilliant take on world history. It’s going to very much change my whole approach in class with my students.
A4816306-7265-4CB4-931E-B126CA7D5A86.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Fat-Sam
Drew
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Just restarted the “Mitch Rapp” series by Vince Flynn.

First one is American Assassin, book as usual is better than the film.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I just read Ultimatum by Frank Gardner on holiday, an excellent thriller and recommended.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

My son in law knows that I find James O’Brien on LBC amusing and recommended that I read his book “How to be right in a world gone wrong”.
06A473F2-F661-4DE3-A92F-BF24825A9057.jpeg
Bought it this afternoon.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Danny Bakers "Going on the Turn'.
Shame he's no longer on the radio due to his I'll judged comments a few months ago.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Zygote23

Post by Zygote23 »

Recursion - Blake Crouch

It's nearly on a par with his previous 'Dark Matter' which terrified me.
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

Bought a book to be a pressie, 3 hours wait at an airport so nothing to do expect read it and smoke :yawn:
58A164DA-D0FB-4B17-BD79-F51AC26250D6.jpeg
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I just finished The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan. I actually started it last summer while on vacation and have just now finished it this summer while on vacation.

Frankopan’s thesis is simple enough - that the central Asian countries of the Silk Road form the heart of the world, that they have been the incubator of many great achievements in the history of the world, that they have been the bridge (and battle ground) between East and West. He’s pretty convincing in his argument. He lays the book out with each chapter being labeled “The Road to X,” to emphasize the evolving nature of this idea we call “Silk Road.”

For many years I taught AP World History, and while initially quite excited about the curriculum, I quickly became quite disenchanted. The course’s structure was rather formulaic and forced.

In contrast, I would love to teach a course in world history built around this book because it lays out the clear connections across time and space between the regions of the world in a way that is organic and quite natural.

While this might be a bit of hyperbole, I see Frankopan’s book as being the history equivalent of Grand Unification Theory in physics - it connects all the dots and everything makes sense.

Highly recommend!

EDITED TO ADD: haha! I just noticed that seven posts up is my post about this book from last summer. This thread clearly doesn’t get a lot of action. And I don’t know why the pic is sideways.

71A5A7C2-27B3-497E-97BB-084DDF01F251.jpeg
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I wanted to be reading "moonwatch only" but my wife won't sign the capital expenditure authorisation.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

jkbarnes wrote:I just finished The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan. I actually started it last summer while on vacation and have just now finished it this summer while on vacation.

Frankopan’s thesis is simple enough - that the central Asian countries of the Silk Road form the heart of the world, that they have been the incubator of many great achievements in the history of the world, that they have been the bridge (and battle ground) between East and West. He’s pretty convincing in his argument. He lays the book out with each chapter being labeled “The Road to X,” to emphasize the evolving nature of this idea we call “Silk Road.”

For many years I taught AP World History, and while initially quite excited about the curriculum, I quickly became quite disenchanted. The course’s structure was rather formulaic and forced.

In contrast, I would love to teach a course in world history built around this book because it lays out the clear connections across time and space between the regions of the world in a way that is organic and quite natural.

While this might be a bit of hyperbole, I see Frankopan’s book as being the history equivalent of Grand Unification Theory in physics - it connects all the dots and everything makes sense.

Highly recommend!

EDITED TO ADD: haha! I just noticed that seven posts up is my post about this book from last summer. This thread clearly doesn’t get a lot of action. And I don’t know why the pic is sideways.

My partner read that and really rated it too. (it's now in my to read pile too) She recently read prisoners of geography which apparently follows similar themes about how geography has shaped politics and development and really highly rated that one too.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

monkeymax wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:20 pm
jkbarnes wrote:I just finished The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan. I actually started it last summer while on vacation and have just now finished it this summer while on vacation.

Highly recommend!

My partner read that and really rated it too. (it's now in my to read pile too) She recently read prisoners of geography which apparently follows similar themes about how geography has shaped politics and development and really highly rated that one too.
Can you PM me the author? I’m intrigued and want to check that out.
Drew