What book are you reading

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: What book are you reading

Post by Jape »

Been mostly listening to books lately. Finished the Uthred series by Cornwell. Now Follett’s prequel to Pillars of the Earth.
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Wants are many but funds scarce.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Time for a little holiday reading. These are all retirement presents, and all related to my travel writing ambitions. I was gifted the first two directly, the first by two Romanian families whose children I have taught, and the other by a dear friend and colleague who is as much of an Hispanophile as I am.

BC1705D3-EAA9-41FA-98FA-94587995C912.jpeg
The other two I bought this morning, using a book token which was another generous gift. The one on the right will be very helpful in researching my current project on Cyprus, taking in the 16th Century Venetian occupation and the Ottoman invasion of 1570. The one on the left will, I suspect, provide quite a lot of interesting material for a project I’m considering on the Grand Tour.

7ED70098-739C-4AE7-9C04-9E57E57298E0.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:48 pm Time for a little holiday reading. These are all retirement presents, and all related to my travel writing ambitions. I was gifted the first two directly, the first by two Romanian families whose children I have taught, and the other by a dear friend and colleague who is as much of an Hispanophile as I am.

BC1705D3-EAA9-41FA-98FA-94587995C912.jpeg

The other two I bought this morning, using a book token which was another generous gift. The one on the right will be very helpful in researching my current project on Cyprus, taking in the 16th Century Venetian occupation and the Ottoman invasion of 1570. The one on the left will, I suspect, provide quite a lot of interesting material for a project I’m considering on the Grand Tour.

7ED70098-739C-4AE7-9C04-9E57E57298E0.jpeg
Empires of the Sea is fantastic! I read that a few years ago as part of a book club with coworkers. It highlighted a period of history I was utterly ignorant of. It’s been a goal to find ways to work aspects of it into class ever since.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:59 pm Empires of the Sea is fantastic! I read that a few years ago as part of a book club with coworkers. It highlighted a period of history I was utterly ignorant of. It’s been a challenge to find ways to work aspects of it into class ever since.
I’ll take that as a recommendation, Andrew. It looks as though my book on Cyprus is going to have three chapters fundamentally devoted to history. The first will encompass ancient history and go up to the end of the Byzantine period and the establishment of the Frankish Kingdom of Cyprus at the end of the 12th century. The second will cover the Frankish, Venetian and Ottoman periods up to the 1870s. The third one will deal with British rule, eventual independence in 1960 and the Turkish invasion of 1974. That will be the hardest one to write because people don’t really seem to want to talk about it.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

My intended summer reading. I started The Thames many years ago, but somehow got distracted from it. Time to revisit. The other covers a period in European history I’m most fascinated by. I hope it’s not too academic for a summer read.

C4A6DF76-866A-4750-A5B2-9C2F767AF244.jpeg
7091E835-F977-4928-9E2D-258CDABCC8F1.jpeg
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I haven't read a book in ages, despite best intentions. However, I was bought this for Father's day and I'm loving it. Whilst the context is the behind the scenes setting up of a particular new football club, there's a lot in for how non/ lower league clubs are run (and it couldn't be further from the glitz and glamour of high rolling, Premier League global businesses). This is about a community club created in days by fans fuelled by the injustice of franchising their team to a retail park in Milton Keynes. Recommended to fans of lower/ non league football
20210713_212848.jpg
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I just finished Artemis by Andy Weir and just started Day of the Triffids. I read it as a kid and just fancied reading it again:-)
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Just add after Triffids I bought the full series of Fa.ous 5 by Enid Blyton so I will be reading those next.

I think I'm going through a bit of 3/4 life crisis and going back to my youth!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

UPDATE:

I now remember why I got distracted from The Thames - it just didn’t hold my interest. I’m switching gears. The new plan is to read these two. The first book is written by a friend who just retired from a career as a history professor. This is the culmination of his career interests - the Burgundy region of France, the Reformation, and wine. He hates the title and thinks it misrepresents the book, but that’s what the Cambridge University Press insisted upon. The second book ought to be a bit on the lighter side.

74E4CC9D-A48D-4D5C-A4B0-8FC054F53711.jpeg
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

42506988-C963-4A19-B40B-8CA9BF37E43C.jpeg
It’s one of those tales I’ve been meaning to read for years. I saw the film many moons ago and was captivated. Glorious story telling, an olfactory masterpiece.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

New publication and a must read for my work, throughly informative.

9DEF9571-FBC3-48D9-93A9-D6D4464187F8.jpeg
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:48 pm and the other by a dear friend and colleague who is as much of an Hispanophile as I am.
I did a slow train journey across Spain eons ago, in my interrail days - from Irun in the North to Malaga, if I recall correctly. Shared the trains with a few backpackers, but mainly young army personnel who largely slept, apart from when the train stopped, often in the middle of nowhere, to allow trains heading in the opposite direction to pass on the single line rail track. Survived on fresh baguettes and Spanish ham - wonderful. Did the trip in reverse as well, but with a good few days spent in Madrid.
'Tis me
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:04 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:59 pm Empires of the Sea is fantastic! I read that a few years ago as part of a book club with coworkers. It highlighted a period of history I was utterly ignorant of. It’s been a challenge to find ways to work aspects of it into class ever since.
I’ll take that as a recommendation, Andrew. It looks as though my book on Cyprus is going to have three chapters fundamentally devoted to history. The first will encompass ancient history and go up to the end of the Byzantine period and the establishment of the Frankish Kingdom of Cyprus at the end of the 12th century. The second will cover the Frankish, Venetian and Ottoman periods up to the 1870s. The third one will deal with British rule, eventual independence in 1960 and the Turkish invasion of 1974. That will be the hardest one to write because people don’t really seem to want to talk about it.
How are you enjoying Empires of the Sea?
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I switched directions. I picked up a book that I thought would make for slightly lighter reading at the beach. I bought this ages ago but never got around to it - A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage.

It’s fantastic! He’s essentially connecting various stages in world history to drinks that played a significant role in that period: beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and Coca-Cola. It’s got enough legitimate history to not be fluff but not so much as to be academic. Highly recommend!

8C4BA8A5-B6CE-4804-92B4-CF87B311B807.jpeg
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:15 pm How are you enjoying Empires of the Sea?
I haven’t really got into it yet. I keep being distracted by lighter reading.
Steve