The Non-Curmudgeons Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: The Non-Curmudgeons Corner

Post by jkbarnes »

As a counter-balance to my post on the Curmudgeon’s Corner, I should add that thankfully, I’ve got a lot of faith in my administrative team in my school. And yesterday’s opening faculty meeting left me feeling inspired and excited!
Drew
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I’m looking forward to visiting No:1 next week, especially as my wife wants to buy me a watch. There is one condition attached, I’m to leave this watch to my youngest grandson because the colour of the dial matches his eyes.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:29 pm As a counter-balance to my post on the Curmudgeon’s Corner, I should add that thankfully, I’ve got a lot of faith in my administrative team in my school. And yesterday’s opening faculty meeting left me feeling inspired and excited!
Well that is an impressively non-curmudgeonly comment, Andrew. You are clearly mellowing in your old age. I expect you will be withdrawing your retirement request in the very near future. Either that or you are becoming demob-happy. (I don't know if that's another anglicism for you, or whether you have that in the US) :D
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:17 pm …I expect you will be withdrawing your retirement request in the very near future.
Not a chance of that!
JAFO wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:17 pmdemob-happy. (I don't know if that's another anglicism for you, or whether you have that in the US) :D
No idea what the means! Do tell.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

demob happy. The joyous feeling enjoyed by British soldiers on being demobilised at the end of hostilities. Generally applied to any "end of service" event. lexico.com "Feeling elated because one is about to leave a stressful or responsible job or situation."

bye bye :datz: hello :cheers:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:58 pm bye bye :datz: hello :cheers:
Perfect! I love it!
Drew
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

jkbarnes wrote:As a counter-balance to my post on the Curmudgeon’s Corner, I should add that thankfully, I’ve got a lot of faith in my administrative team in my school. And yesterday’s opening faculty meeting left me feeling inspired and excited!
That’s always good to hear.

I’m interviewing with a utility company that has a really positive energy and, because they’re public, they’re non-profit and serve the community. I’m excited to have the usual BS get pushed down the list and have things that matter to me at the top, when it comes to work.

If I get the job we’ll be moving to Knoxville, TN. I designed the university’s power plant transition from coal to natural gas, so I know the town and feel like I’ve already been a part of positive change for the community. I’ve got great vibes about it all. Hoping it works out.

But, back to you, I’m happy to hear anyone feeling inspired about work. Sometimes it’s tough to find.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Robotaz wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:19 pm I’m happy to hear anyone feeling inspired about work. Sometimes it’s tough to find.
I discovered during the pandemic that attitude is everything. I made a decision to just let go of anything I could not control. I simply did not let myself get worked up about anything I could not change or impact. What’s the point? Instead I chose to put as much of a positive spin on what I could influence. And I got to tell you, when you chose to put good out there, it comes back to you!

Now mind you, I still work with some real idiots, but that’s to be found anywhere.

Your situation sounds fantastic! Keep us updated on how it evolves.
Drew
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

jkbarnes wrote:
Robotaz wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:19 pm I’m happy to hear anyone feeling inspired about work. Sometimes it’s tough to find.
I discovered during the pandemic that attitude is everything. I made a decision to just let go of anything I could not control. I simply did not let myself get worked up about anything I could not change or impact. What’s the point? Instead I chose to put as much of a positive spin on what I could influence. And I got to tell you, when you chose to put good out there, it comes back to you!

Now mind you, I still work with some real idiots, but that’s to be found anywhere.

Your situation sounds fantastic! Keep us updated on how it evolves.
About the pandemic…

The first phase Amber and I went through was the typical concern/fear. Second phase was boredom. Third phase was introspection. Fourth was communication. Fifth was action.

We moved to Colorado with basically a very long list of failed New Year’s resolutions. I thought it would take 5-10 years to truly and honestly tackle it all. Amber felt the same.

Well, 10 months in our lists were conquered. We went back to phase 3 introspection, phase 4 communication, and phase 5 action. So we’re moving closer to her family and trying to start one of our own.

The pandemic made us very different people. We chose the positive route and have come out healthier happier. It was a mixed blessing for us. I hope others can feel the same.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

I went to a festival last week as a detached loner introspectively questioning the point of existing (living would require more ... something) and came home with Covid having experienced what I assume to be romantic love for the first time. I don't know what's next but life isn't going to be the same and that has to be a good thing.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

My wife collapsed yesterday and was rushed by ambulance to hospital. She has undergone tests to determine why she was unconscious for quite sometime. Her heartbeat and blood pressure were erratic but since the doctors and nurses have stabilised her. If it were not for our amazing NHS, National Health Service, I hesitate to think what the outcome could have been.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Oh my. My mom went through a similar situation 10 years ago and they found out her thyroid, I think, was so out of whack that it caused an arrhythmia. I think she has had a murmur her whole life that was never an issue until there was an imbalance.

She has been fine ever since.

Do you have resolution on the condition so that you can begin the healing and move on?
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Richard D wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:23 am My wife collapsed yesterday and was rushed by ambulance to hospital. She has undergone tests to determine why she was unconscious for quite sometime. Her heartbeat and blood pressure were erratic but since the doctors and nurses have stabilised her. If it were not for our amazing NHS, National Health Service, I hesitate to think what the outcome could have been.
Sorry to hear that Richard. I hope all is well.

I agree with the sentiment about the NHS.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:41 am
Sorry to hear that Richard. I hope all is well.

I agree with the sentiment about the NHS.
Thank you, my wife had a peaceful night and we should find out more as to cause later today. The care she has received has been amazing, we are so fortunate.
Richard

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Very sorry to read this Richard.

I hope that your wife is soon on the way back to good health.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)