What Car do you drive??

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: What Car do you drive??

Post by Soporsche »

Deks wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:09 pm Crappy 11 reg Golf mk6. Great car for me tho

Its a bit tricky what to upgrade to now we are being forced down the electric car route
Something v8 while you can 😁
OK so not displaying my concern for the environment with that suggestion.
PS Golf Mk 6 is not crappy, need a family car = golf, need a decent drive = golf, need a practical car = golf, need a car that reflects your upwardly mobile status = golf, need a car......

I'm liking Noush's Goldilocks a lot 🙂

I'm a bit of a car nut and worked hard, owned multiple Porsches, Audi S6, S3, Quattro, M series, 350Z, Jags, AMG Merc, Alfas, RS's etc etc. Yet one of the best allround cars to drive on the road and made me smile more than most = Mk5 Golf GTI and then later as a family guy a Skoda Octavia vRS. Car I owned the longest by a long way Skoda Superb :shock:
Im in a Civic (OK, a bit of a hot one) at the mo 🙄😏😁
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Soporsche wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:03 am Yet one of the best allround cars to drive on the road and made me smile more than most = Mk5 Golf GTI and then later as a family guy a Skoda Octavia vRS. Car I owned the longest by a long way Skoda Superb :shock:
Im in a Civic (OK, a bit of a hot one) at the mo 🙄😏😁
GTIs are great! When I was in HS (late 80s), my best friend had a GTI his father brought over from Germany. It was far more tricked out than the American spec GTIs. Talk about a sleeper! Most people just thought it was a VW Rabbit. He used to leave people in his dust right and left. Another guy had an old Porsche 911 (mid to late 70s I think) that he fixed up to look great…added the big whale tale of the turbo and a third brake light so people thought it was a new model… but was a clunker mechanically. He and my buddy raced on the runway at the local airport than had been closed down. It wasn’t even close!
Drew
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I have so much love for you both xx
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:34 pm
Thermexman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:51 am Something to match the watch.

1FFF0B95-46F7-4594-835D-624DF6D7DF28.jpeg
That's a pretty good match to the M sport colours :thumbup:
Am I trying too hard? :oops:
Steve.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Soporsche wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:03 am Im in a Civic (OK, a bit of a hot one) at the mo 🙄😏😁

What Civic have you got? It's not the dull and conservative FK8 Type R is it? :silent:

I briefly looked at one before buying the Yaris.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As many of you will know, I am not a great fan of cars or driving, though I tend to regard them as a necessary evil.

My Yaris Hybrid, which I’ve had for two years now, is a really good car for me. It’s dead simple to drive (stick it in D and go) and is reasonably comfortable and well-equipped.

I haven’t driven more than about 35 miles in a single journey for 18 months now, and yesterday went on a bit of an expedition: a 180 mile round trip to the services near Stansted (exotic location, I know!) to pick up my golf clubs.

I took a bit of a cross country route for the first half of the trip, because the fast(er) roads around Norwich are all subject to delays at the moment. Fast is a relative term in East Anglia. The first half is on single carriageway roads down to Bury Saint Edmunds, then you pick up the A14, A11 and M11 for the rest of the journey. I didn’t drive deliberately slowly, but just went with the traffic and kept within speed limits. And I had Aircon, Satnav and music on all the way. My average for the two trips was 67.5 mpg. :D

I like that car. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Wow! That's phenomenal mileage. :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 pm As many of you will know, I am not a great fan of cars or driving, though I tend to regard them as a necessary evil.
Until I got my MX-5, I would have fully agreed with you. My attitude towards my vehicle was entirely utilitarian - I need a vehicle to get me from point A to point B simply and economically. And I also longed to live in an area where a car wasn’t a necessity to do just about anything. American suburbs are just the worst for that.

Then I got my MX-5…. It puts a smile on my face just to look at it, it puts a smile on my face to climb into it & strap in, and it puts an immense smile on my face to drive it. It is truly therapy on four wheels. With the top down on a beautiful day with a twisted country road, there is nothing better!

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 pm My average for the two trips was 67.5 mpg. :D

I like that car. 8)

That’s great mileage. I haven’t even bothered trying to calculate the mileage in my MX-5 as I’m sure it’s terrible. I’ve found myself shifting far more aggressively with the 6 speed gearbox, which doesn’t help. I just bite the bullet and fill it with premium gas. It’s a small price to pay for the great joy it brings me.
Drew
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

what-time-is-it wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:43 am
Soporsche wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:03 am Im in a Civic (OK, a bit of a hot one) at the mo 🙄😏😁

What Civic have you got? It's not the dull and conservative FK8 Type R is it? :silent:

I briefly looked at one before buying the Yaris.
Yep, well fundamentally the same, sportline version though without the crazy rear spoiler (low level instead).. and a tiny bit more comfortable. Its fast but not scratching the itch though, fun is modest and its between family car and sports. So I'm back to thinking family barge and then pick up a Mini JCW in a few months (or even an older cayman/boxster) for go kart like fun drives. 😀
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia

watchaholic wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:24 pm Wow! That's phenomenal mileage. :thumbup:
jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:51 pm That’s great mileage.
The point about the self charging hybrid is that it runs as an electric vehicle if there is enough power in the small electric motor to do so. It only happens under about 38 mph, on fairly flat or downhill roads, and on the understanding that you are not accelerating sharply. Running continuously at 30 mph under those conditions, it is good for a couple of miles. it’s also useful if you are held up in traffic because it switches to EV mode whenever it can. It has regenerative braking, and the petrol engine (1.5 auto) is constantly charging the electric motor anyway.

It’s also pretty seamless. The transmission is some kind of CVT so you have no awareness of it changing gear, and most of the time your only indication that it has changed to EV mode is a light on the dash and a drop in engine note.

However, on a long run like the one I did yesterday it would not have very many chances to switch to EV mode. So I was pleasantly surprised with the readout. My average between top ups is well over 60 mpg in summer, but in winter it’s more like 55–57.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:18 pm The point about the self charging hybrid is that it runs as an electric vehicle if there is enough power in the small electric motor to do so. It only happens under about 38 mph, on fairly flat or downhill roads, and on the understanding that you are not accelerating sharply. Running continuously at 30 mph under those conditions, it is good for a couple of miles. it’s also useful if you are held up in traffic because it switches to EV mode whenever it can. It has regenerative braking, and the petrol engine (1.5 auto) is constantly charging the electric motor anyway.
My wife’s hybrid operates the same way and gets equally phenomenal mileage.
Drew
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

My 190bhp 2.0 Diesel X-Drive SUV does 0-62 in 7.8 secs and still brings in anywhere from 38-52 mpg depending on how it’s driven. That’s proper old school calculations rather than what the computer tells me. Although, the computer is not too far adrift to be honest.
Steve.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I have the same engine in my 3 series. It’s a fantastic mix of power, acceleration and economy. Better than any of the rivals imo. Of course not many years left to enjoy a pure ICE powered car.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:17 pm I have the same engine in my 3 series. It’s a fantastic mix of power, acceleration and economy. Better than any of the rivals imo. Of course not many years left to enjoy a pure ICE powered car.
ICE powered? Now that would be a solution. Ice in, water out. With the added bonus that you could keep your beers close to the fuel tank and always have the option to pullover and have a swift…oh, wait a minute. That wouldn’t be such a good idea.
Steve.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thermexman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 am
ICE powered? Now that would be a solution. Ice in, water out. With the added bonus that you could keep your beers close to the fuel tank and always have the option to pullover and have a swift…oh, wait a minute. That wouldn’t be such a good idea.
Now whom do we know who lives where there is plenty of ice for half the year, and also likes beer? Suggestions on a postcard, please.
Steve