What Car do you drive??

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Re: What Car do you drive??

Post by Gar787 »

I bought a Jaguar XFS last year (Feb). Had it mapped up to 415bhp. A lovely car with every optional extra possible including a head-up display. Now the kicker....I haven’t worked since March ‘20 due to the pandemic and won’t until mid-July so have been on around 60% basic pay for over a year. The car has done 450 miles since I purchased it, lives in the garage under a cover on a trickle charge! Currently on a SORN. Jaguar have been on the phone every month to remind me that it is due a service! I guess timing is everything eh?
PHIL
Philosoraptor
CW-watches: 0

Post by Philosoraptor »

Covid unfortunately has me driving a lot less but this is my baby, '03 530i in a manual transmission, took awhile to find but the wait was worth it! I'm told that it is the only E39 in North America in that violet colour.

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Philosoraptor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:25 am I'm told that it is the only E39 in North America in that violet colour.

That’s a beautiful color! And it’s nice to see a legit manual transmission as opposed to the paddle shifters that seem to increasingly be the norm in luxury performance cars.
Drew
Philosoraptor

Post by Philosoraptor »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:53 pm That’s a beautiful color! And it’s nice to see a legit manual transmission as opposed to the paddle shifters that seem to increasingly be the norm in luxury performance cars.
Thanks! The colour just happened to be attached to the manual transmission, it was a pleasant surprise seeing how it actually looked in person. Yeah, I'll never be able to shift gears as fast as these new double clutch sequential 9 speed monstrosities, but I just enjoy the drive too much to give up the stick. Very hard to find them in new cars anymore especially in North America unfortunately.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Philosoraptor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:44 pm ...but I just enjoy the drive too much to give up the stick. Very hard to find them in new cars anymore especially in North America unfortunately.
A little further back in this thread you’ll see I just picked up a 20 year old Miata with just 27k miles. Part of the appeal was the 6-spd manual transmission. Talk about a joy to drive!
Drew
Philosoraptor

Post by Philosoraptor »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:48 pm A little further back in this thread you’ll see I just picked up a 20 year old Miata with just 27k miles. Part of the appeal was the 6-spd manual transmission. Talk about a joy to drive!
That is an amazing find with such low mileage, it hasn't even been broken in yet!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Philosoraptor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:51 pm ...it hasn't even been broken in yet!
Haha! I’m working on it....vigorously!
Drew
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:23 am I traded in my ‘04 MX5 with 124k miles and the wear and tear to go with it for a ‘04 MX5 Special Edition with just 27k miles. This is the very Miata I have longed to have and would have searched out after retirement - British Racing Green with tan leather interior & wood trim; 6spd manual gearbox; low miles; clearly garage kept and babied because it’s in immaculate condition.

I stumbled across the listing quite by accident. It was local and the price was good. My wife said I’d be an idiot to pass it up, so I didn’t.

E14D8646-63D6-4E52-A16E-762CC574C002.jpeg
FC1C2C29-2E20-46AB-917A-504A1892F532.jpeg
894C69FE-B2DA-4838-AE7D-2F3F13FFEA45.jpeg
That's a fine car. I have a MK3 in Black 2006, I bought it second hand and even now only has 35k on the clock (it does not like getting wet..... and I only like driving it with the roof down)

Mk 2's have a bad rep in the UK for rust chassis rails. I imagine that in the US the rusting/tin worm issue is not so bad in your state?

may you have many "Smiles per mile" These are such under rated cars :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

jimbo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:27 pm Mk 2's have a bad rep in the UK for rust chassis rails. I imagine that in the US the rusting/tin worm issue is not so bad in your state?

may you have many "Smiles per mile" These are such under rated cars :)
It is definitely an issue. My previous MX-5 had a lot of rust issues. That was one of the reasons I replaced it. It really wasn't a car to hold onto long term with the rust issues. The new one is rust free. The question will be for how long, since I don't have a garage to keep it in.

I'll take my chances though, as the "smile per mile" factor is ridiculously high!
Drew
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

over here in the UK many of us (me included) have had the car under sprayed with protective products such as Dinitrol which help slow it down. I paid about £400 to have mine done, and hope it will make it last longer

I had a lovely drive last night in mine to pick the daughter up from the coast.... just after i set off it started spitting.... so i just left the roof down and drove faster....that way i didn't get wet :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

jimbo wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:07 pm .... so i just left the roof down and drove faster....that way i didn't get wet :)
I’ve done that!

I’ve thought about looking not an undercoating for mine.
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected missing quote brackets
Drew
Gripper
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Gripper »

2004 Toyota MR2 MOT'd today, hardtop removed, cleaned and back on the road for the first time since last June, kept off road during lockdown and the winter months. Looking to catch up for lost time and add a few more miles to the 35k currently on the clock during this summer.

IMG_20210604_142042_2.jpg
Mark
So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Gripper wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:08 pm 2004 Toyota MR2 MOT'd today, hardtop removed, cleaned and back on the road for the first time since last June, kept off road during lockdown and the winter months. Looking to catch up for lost time and add a few more miles to the 35k currently on the clock during this summer.

Looks like another vehicle with a high “smile per mile” quotient! Is the MR2 a mid-engine?
Drew
Gripper
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Gripper »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:11 pm
Gripper wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:08 pm 2004 Toyota MR2 MOT'd today, hardtop removed, cleaned and back on the road for the first time since last June, kept off road during lockdown and the winter months. Looking to catch up for lost time and add a few more miles to the 35k currently on the clock during this summer.

Looks like another vehicle with a high “smile per mile” quotient! Is the MR2 a mid-engine?
:thumbup:, Yes mid-engine, MR - "Midship Runabout"
Mark
So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ 1,600cc twin overhead cam, 16 valve if I recall. Lovely buzzy unit.

Definitely :rate10: for smiles.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England