fullsizeoutput_1438.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_143a.jpeg
scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: What Car do you drive??

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:40 pm I’ll be honest, I don’t quite understand all of that!
I think a bit of mutual teaching is in order, then, because I certainly don’t understand American plates.

Basically, in Britain registration numbers are a mix of letters and numbers that denotes things like area, and year of registration. When you get a new car they tend to allot all the crappy numbers to the dealers, and keep the interesting numbers for sale on the website or by private sellers for various sums of money. Some people pay to get a number of their choice. Scooter and I have obviously both done this. People choose numbers that can be made to look significant to them in some way. Mine is a combination of some letters from my name and a significant number. My initials being SJH, and my birth year 1957, I was very attracted by the number 0057 SJH. I didn’t get it because it was quite expensive. It was about £1000, whereas the one I ended up buying cost me £250. When I change my car I can transfer my personal number to the new car on payment of a fee to the DVL a (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority).
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:56 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:40 pm I’ll be honest, I don’t quite understand all of that!
I think a bit of mutual teaching is in order, then, because I certainly don’t understand American plates.

Basically, in Britain registration numbers are a mix of letters and numbers that denotes things like area, and year of registration. When you get a new car they tend to allot all the crappy numbers to the dealers, and keep the interesting numbers for sale on the website or by private sellers for various sums of money. Some people pay to get a number of their choice. Scooter and I have obviously both done this. People choose numbers that can be made to look significant to them in some way. Mine is a combination of some letters from my name and a significant number. My initials being SJH, and my birth year 1957, I was very attracted by the number 0057 SJH. I didn’t get it because it was quite expensive. It was about £1000, whereas the one I ended up buying cost me £250. When I change my car I can transfer my personal number to the new car on payment of a fee to the DVL a (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority).
Now it makes sense. There’s absolutely no rhyme or reason to the letter/number combos on American plates, they’re all completely random. Unless you pay for vanity plates! Then you can get whatever you want.
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

In the UK some people will literally pay thousands or tens of thousands of pounds to buy a personal number plate with their initials or something meaningful. In the US, as far as I understand, you can choose anything as long as it is unique for a much more modest cost. We are clearly stupid in this country in this regard.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

To be fair there are people who pay thousands for a watch whilst 99.9 per cent of the population spend less than 100 quid.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

scooter wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:41 pm To be fair there are people who pay thousands for a watch whilst 99.9 per cent of the population spend less than 100 quid.

scooter
You may have a point!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
drand
Guru
Guru

Post by drand »

Screenshot_20200926_215807.jpg
I just happened to take a pic of my car today, which is occasional transport for ferrying the children to their extra-curricular activities and doing the shopping, and all-too-occasional entertainment for club level motorsport.
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tortoise »

^^^ Looks a bit like adhesive tape holding the bodywork together but assume it's a graphic styling for the car?
Ian
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Both the wife and I work from home, so we only have the one car. Since we live on the coast in Florida, need something big enough to fit the cats, dog, child (soon to be children) and luggage in if/when a hurricane comes our way.
2850D55A-124A-48FE-A605-C975803C7364.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

To illustrate Greyman and Avos input above, quick UK search for my initial SO and birth year 67 threw up the below.. I won't be buying...!
I did have a Porsche C4S 911 a few years ago that had a C4 GTX plate which cost c£200 but later sold with the car at a +£1000 premium on the car sales price. :shock:
I know a guy who paid £29000 for his plate on his company but probably some kind of tax write off!
Screenshot_20200927-112831_Chrome.jpg
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
drand
Guru
Guru

Post by drand »

Tortoise wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:52 am ^^^ Looks a bit like adhesive tape holding the bodywork together but assume it's a graphic styling for the car?
It helps to hide the general bodywork scuffs that happen with age and hard use but it's based on the one-make Micra Challenge rally series that Nissan supplied works cars for from 1995/96. Versions of the colour scheme also appeared on other competition Nissans, for example Mark Higgins' Almera that he dragged to second on the Manx rally with a wheel hanging off!
Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

Hi Ryan

As you could probably gather from the watch photo which I posted, I do drive a 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Have owned it since February 2015. I don’t do many miles in it as it’s my pride and joy (obviously together with my watch collection).

Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
2555FB98-1CC6-4597-8C0A-B11F971219DA.jpeg
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

We have personalized numbers, but with date letters. We have bought from DVLC for 250 and they are just a bit of fun. My son's name is TOM though, and I always regret not buying G7TOM for £1000 many years ago. I imagine it would cost 5 times that now. I don't think car numbers go down in price over time. It's hard to get 5 digit plates (ie number in range 1 to 9) for many common initials now.
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by oberonfoto »

Had a Peugeot Partner for years - Mark 2 then a Mark 3 - great for carting my camera kit and portable lighting rig. The Mark 3 was making some really bad noises last Oct so arranged to buy Renault Kadjar. Pug “blew up” two hours before I was due to trade it in! Since March my fuel bills dropped to about £50 a month for some reason.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Chris375 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 pm Hi Ryan

As you could probably gather from the watch photo which I posted, I do drive a 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Have owned it since February 2015. I don’t do many miles in it as it’s my pride and joy (obviously together with my watch collection).

Cheers,
Chris
Now that is very lovely car Chris.
The Vantage has always been a favourite of mine among the more modern Astons.

Is the colour a pale grey or blue? Hard to tell with the light playing off it.
Ryan