Steve.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: What Car do you drive??

Post by what-time-is-it »

Soporsche wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:03 am
Yep, well fundamentally the same, sportline version though without the crazy rear spoiler (low level instead).. and a tiny bit more comfortable. Its fast but not scratching the itch though, fun is modest and its between family car and sports. So I'm back to thinking family barge and then pick up a Mini JCW in a few months (or even an older cayman/boxster) for go kart like fun drives. 😀
I drove the GT version in December, strong engine, lovely gearbox but a real struggle to get the power down cleanly when making progress in the lower gears. Great car though, apart from the marmite looks.

If I could get the Yellow LE at the right price I would be tempted. :shock:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

what-time-is-it wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:14 am
Soporsche wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:03 am
Yep, well fundamentally the same, sportline version though without the crazy rear spoiler (low level instead).. and a tiny bit more comfortable. Its fast but not scratching the itch though, fun is modest and its between family car and sports. So I'm back to thinking family barge and then pick up a Mini JCW in a few months (or even an older cayman/boxster) for go kart like fun drives. 😀
I drove the GT version in December, strong engine, lovely gearbox but a real struggle to get the power down cleanly when making progress in the lower gears. Great car though, apart from the marmite looks.

If I could get the Yellow LE at the right price I would be tempted. :shock:
The yellow LE is very cool and very full on! Re the power delivery, my Honda dealer reckons current Type Rs will drop a bit next year as 4wd version coming which he promises will be very impressive. To the extent he tried to convince me to hold fire on the purchase.
I have a good relationship with them as previously had an immaculate Prelude 2.2 vti which was an ex Honda UK show car with only 50k miles at 20 years old, the dealership loved it!
How are you finding the Yaris, reports are that its great fun and a blast on the twisted if a little hard work on a long run? Be interesting to hear your real life thoughts :thumbup:
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Thermexman wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Still blasting around in Kevin.

Jan '11, Yeti 2.0L TDI 'vRS' 61,000 miles

Picture taken last week after having his summer alloys/tyres refitted.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk
vRS? A wolf in Yeti's clothing then!
Yup. Bit of a Wolf.

Yeti 2.0L TDI 140ps DSG Elegance with vRS upgrade of;-

Remap and freeflow exhaust to c.185ps and >350Nm.
Eibach lowered springs c.30mm
Bilstein B6 dampers
vRS steering wheel with paddle shift
18" Team Dynamic wheels with 225/45 18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports tyres

aka Kevin; after the fast multicoloured flightless bird in the film Up.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk

Kevin is still going strong, now with c. 84,000 miles on the clock.

In rude health with new front brakes last year, due to seized caliper, 5 yearly cambelt/water pump six months ago and new summer tyres last year (only done 3k miles max).

A few cosmetic gremlins with peeling lacquer on the front bumper and early signs of rust around the number plate lights on the tailgate.

Love driving him to bits but, with additional income coming later in the year that will comfortably fund a PCP do I stick or twist?

Guy

PS> photo taken today.

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Soporsche wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:03 am The yellow LE is very cool and very full on! Re the power delivery, my Honda dealer reckons current Type Rs will drop a bit next year as 4wd version coming which he promises will be very impressive. To the extent he tried to convince me to hold fire on the purchase.
I have a good relationship with them as previously had an immaculate Prelude 2.2 vti which was an ex Honda UK show car with only 50k miles at 20 years old, the dealership loved it!
How are you finding the Yaris, reports are that its great fun and a blast on the twisted if a little hard work on a long run? Be interesting to hear your real life thoughts :thumbup:
One other thing I do find impressive with the Type R is the weight, which for a big car is very good - whether they can keep the weight down if they add 4wd is another matter.

The Yaris for me is a fun second car and it's now on approx 1500 miles in 4 months.

Every drive is an occasion, very analogue to the way it drives, with a mechanical feel to the drivetrain and the body feels very solid. Lots of people flashing lights, chats in petrol stations, people coming for a chat in car parks etc.

Grip is a headscratcher - it rolls a bit when you push it but you can maintain so much speed when pushing on and the brakes are strong and don't fade. Wet grip on PS4S tyres oh my, you would never know it's raining in fact that's it's party piece - go on your favourite road when it's wet so no cyclists or tourists and you can have a blast - mostly at legal speeds because you have the grip to maintain momentum.

Negatives are it's really a 2 seater, rear seats are always down in mine. Pedal setup not great for heel and toe, passenger seat is too high, too many buttons at start-up to disable lane assist, change drivetrain modes, switch on IMT, switch off traction control and lock the doors! Needs a service every 6k, 30mpg if you are steady, below 20mpg if you are having a good time and no doubt insurance will increase next year as quite a few have been crashed already - including 6 demos apparently. NVH isn't great if you do lots of motorway miles but is fine for me, some owners have added sound deadening material to the rear arches and boot, but mine is pretty standard for now as I have another coming - and the plan for that will be to change wheels (originals are £1600 per rim to replace), change the exhaust (standard makes no noise at all) and possibly chip it to 300bhp - standard is quick, but I would like it to have a bit more go.

Sounds like a lot of negatives, but rear seats will never be used, IMT is a good alternative to H&T, SWMBO likes the passenger seat height and muscle memory presses the buttons when you get in.

Overall really happy and as you know cars like this won't be around for much longer so kudos to Toyota for making it.
176760856_2598801217089013_4908764067795711034_n.jpg
Attachments
176715659_2598801220422346_5395989973956954214_n.jpg
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:13 pm
Remap and freeflow exhaust to c.185ps and >350Nm.
Eibach lowered springs c.30mm
Bilstein B6 dampers
vRS steering wheel with paddle shift
18" Team Dynamic wheels with 225/45 18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports tyres
I don’t understand most of the technical gizmos listed above, but I do like Kevin. I remember a day trip from Marlow to Bristol and back, which was very comfortable. I was in the back seat, since Kip had bagged the front. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ You'll recall the weather on that October trip for the Bristol CW Event/GTG, was totally foul, Steve. High winds and heavy rain.

Kevin was smooth and steady.

The ride can be somewhat jittery with just me on board, but a couple of passengers smooths it out nicely.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Loving it Chris, petty much spot on with the reports I've read and heard. Would love to own one but its not going to happen in the near future (budget, competing priorities, family etc). Will undoubtedly become a modern classic very early, if it hasn't already.

Guy - great mods on Kevin, should imagine they translate to a fun (and great handling) drive.
Lower unsprung weight (wheels), B6s a really great fast road/track damper, torquey engine and nice free flow exhaust sound/breathing 👍
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Thermexman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 am
Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:17 pm I have the same engine in my 3 series. It’s a fantastic mix of power, acceleration and economy. Better than any of the rivals imo. Of course not many years left to enjoy a pure ICE powered car.
ICE powered? Now that would be a solution. Ice in, water out. With the added bonus that you could keep your beers close to the fuel tank and always have the option to pullover and have a swift…oh, wait a minute. That wouldn’t be such a good idea.
Maybe with everything that Elon is working on, it’s possible we can open a cold beer and relax in the back seat of the car as it self drives us home 😎
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Cars have come a long way since this.
DA013F03-05FA-4354-AF15-0E2F6A5A36AE.jpeg
Saw it out and about this afternoon. Cheap motoring, easily beats the 40 year road tax exemption.

First time I have seen one outside a museum.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

Thermexman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 am
Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:17 pm I have the same engine in my 3 series. It’s a fantastic mix of power, acceleration and economy. Better than any of the rivals imo. Of course not many years left to enjoy a pure ICE powered car.
ICE powered? Now that would be a solution. Ice in, water out. With the added bonus that you could keep your beers close to the fuel tank and always have the option to pullover and have a swift…oh, wait a minute. That wouldn’t be such a good idea.

ICE power? :?
Oh yes, we are powering things with that :thumbup:
icepower.jpg
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:13 pm
You may have covered this elsewhere, but why name your car Kevin. I called my first car (a 1982 pea green Vauxhall Astra) Norman. Even now, I don’t know why :D
Bahnstormer_vRS

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:10 pm You may have covered this elsewhere, but why name your car Kevin. I called my first car (a 1982 pea green Vauxhall Astra) Norman. Even now, I don’t know why :D
After the fast multicoloured flightless bird in the Pixar film Up.

Guy

Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks Guy!
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Dodge Durango R/T 5.7L AWD

Jack of all trades. Fun to drive, practical, sounds good, good in snow, great powertrain. I enjoy it.

The SRT version of it may be my next vehicle. Truly a monster (and that's not even counting the insane Hellcat version with 710 HP).