joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: Final 2009 Forum LE Images

Post by joerattz »

28800bph wrote:
joerattz wrote:
28800bph wrote:Looks nice, but I was disappointed to see that the hands and markers will be painted blue (shown in the drawings as Pantone 295C color) rather than being authentic "blued steel" by heat treatment. I think this misses the complexity and subtlety in the surface finish.

It's kind of like having a wood floor that is really just a picture of wood printed on plastic laminate...

JP
You are misinterpretting the Pantone color listed in the images. That is listed because it is the color used for the "Limited Edition" text on the dial, not the hands and markers. The hands and markers are not "painted". I am not sure what the correct term is for how they are treated though.

At one time, prior to going Swiss Made, the blued screws in the ETA 2824-2 movement were not heat treated to become blue. I don't know what the process would have been called though. To my knowledge, those blue screws in the movement haven't changed, but I haven't checked with Chris lately (since going Swiss Made) to see if that has changed. The hands and markers will be made blue the same way those screws are in the movement. So if you have a CW with an auto movement with blue screws, the hands and markers should look the same.
I hope you're right but the drawing that shows the hands only (the last picture) shows Pantone 295C color -- that's what makes me think the hands are painted blue rather than heat treated.
I asked Chris to read my post and confirm what I said. Here is his response:
Christopher Ward wrote:Olden days screws were heated to achieve the blue...but they were brittle...modern screws are chemically treated to achieve the colour...but they are more consistent and stronger.

The blue is a standard industry blue.. the treatment for the hands and indices will be the same.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"
CW-watches: 1

Post by 28800bph »

joerattz wrote: I asked Chris to read my post and confirm what I said. Here is his response:
Christopher Ward wrote:Olden days screws were heated to achieve the blue...but they were brittle...modern screws are chemically treated to achieve the colour...but they are more consistent and stronger.

The blue is a standard industry blue.. the treatment for the hands and indices will be the same.
Joe,
Thanks for checking, that is great to hear. The blueing process is done by oxidizing the metal surface with a solution of chromates & nitrates... some watch makers use paint to simulate the look since it's lower cost. Glad to hear this is the real deal -- it will look great!
JP
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

28800bph wrote:The blueing process is done by oxidizing the metal surface with a solution of chromates & nitrates
Yeah, isn't that what I said? :)
28800bph wrote:it will look great!
That's my expectation.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20