A poll - what should be the basis of our LE?

The second forum Limited Edition of 100 pieces
Sold out
EricB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 7

Re: A poll - what should be the basis of our LE?

Post by EricB »

I think a lot of C7 voters don't know, or realized at the time of the vote, there is already an automatic version to be released next year.
To be honest I was a bit confused at the time, and voted for the C7 just to be sure.
I would also be happy with the C2 or C1 otherwise.

Never mind, exiting times to come whatever happens. :)
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Post by MorrisOx »

Just to clear up one thing - it's yet not absolutely certain there will be a C7 auto in 2009. I e-mailed Chris with a serial number request and he told me it wasn't guaranteed.

It's a logical move, of course, but adding a 7750 to a range that currently doesn't go beyond the workhorse 2824-2 is not an insignificant step. He has to be sure there are customers out there for watch that's ikely to be at a higher price point.
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Nav B Chrono II
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
Longines Master Chrono Moonphase
Andyft21
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10
LE-two: yes

Post by Andyft21 »

I was keen on the C2 being the LE, an automatic with a woody dial, however it will be interesting to see what is in the pipe line. The C7 auto will be great and its seems to be work in progress, this could also look great with a woody.

There have been some intresting posts about spring drive watches on the forum, Seiko seem to be the main producer. As has already been said it would be nice to do something a bit different, not sure how the cost would match up, the Seikos seem to sell for goood money. Just an idea to be kicked around.

Andy
Andy
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Post by paw3001 »

village wrote:Personally, i am disappointed the C2 didn't make the top 3 (also that hand wound lost out to auto)..i think that's an opportunity missed. I also think that its overkill having the C7 in there what with the current LE's and the planned Valjoux version in 2009. I can understand the C1 being there...but auto?...not to my mind. That just leaves the C8....i don't really see where there is to go on that. JMHO.
I agree. I can't see how the C8 can make a worthwhile LE, especially as it already has its own LE Blackhawk. The same with the C7 as it is the worst kept secret that there will be an upgraded auto version in 2009.

The C1 I can understand but it isn't my thing and I still think a mechanical C2 with a wooden dial plus a moonphase complication would be very cool!

But this is just stage 2 plenty of time left to decide. Anyway, who said democracy was a good thing!!!!! :kettensaege:
Watches - Too many but not enough!
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by shrink »

well if there is an automatic C7 next year, i'll be right there. Even if it does cost a fair bit more. Its still going to be a lot more reasonable than any similarly specked quality watch
Who watches the watch-men
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Just out of interest, why do people want an automatic C7?
Vista
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Vista »

A Limited Edition means what it says, there are a limited amount produced, whereas a forum LE is only open to members of this forum making it yet more exclusive with probably 100 pieces (or should it be more because new members join each day?)
Anyway what is the harm in having an auto C7 as the forum LE even if there will be an auto in the range next year. That auto might not be an LE and just be part of the range available (I think it will sell very well indeed) so with the forum LE we can have the usual input on face colour and strap etc.

Look at the votes, a C7 auto is what the majority want despite plans for the C7 range in the future.

The whole point about the forum LE is that Joe Bloggs can't get one unless they later come up on ebay for ridiculous money so to me it's irrelevant if another C7 auto is added later in the year.

I think Chris will use the forum LE if it's a C7 as a test to see what problems need ironing out before it goes into production for the masses. Look at what owners are doing to their C8's they are taking them apart and changing the second hand, bead blasting strap clasps etc.
Christopher Ward - C5 Aviator, C6 once owned
Seiko Monster
Sector Adv 5500
TW Steel Grandeur Swiss Auto
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

:)
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Sorry, I meant in general, why do people want an automatic C7, regardless of general release, or LE. I suppose, for me anyway, the appeal of an automatic is seeing the sweeping second hand, or the movement through a display case, or maybe just something "special" about it.

The C7 doesn't have a display case, unless the forum LE one has one (however, judging by the result of the voting this is quite possible). Also, the second hand on the C7 is the small dial at 6 o'clock, so you're not really going to see the benefits there, unless you use the chrono a lot.

Just my personal take on it! But I don't see much point in making the C7 auto unless you really do want parity with the Tag Carrera/Rolex Daytonas of the world.

I could always be convinced though :D
Vista
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Vista »

Daz & Chris

I think you have hit the nail on the head, I said from day one that the C7 looks like it should cost 3 times the price even down to the upgraded leather strap. It looks like a TAG and if it gets an auto I think it will feel twice as good. The case I would imagine could have a viewing window instead of the open back to keep costs down. Regards the sweeping second hand, if CWL are already thinking of adding an auto I suppose there is a solution.

Daz, I would buy a C7 with the colour combo you mention.
Seiko Monster
Sector Adv 5500
okwhynot
Senior
Senior

Post by okwhynot »

Hows about the C1 hand-wind with a silver sunburst dial, blue hands and numerals ? 8)
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by shrink »

for me the desire for a C7 auto is simple. I would like a chronograph sports watch, but I dont want a quartz, as i will genuinely forget about it the second the battery runs out, and it'll sit in a drawer for all time.

I think the C7 is gorgeous in pretty much any colour scheme, although black face/bezel is doing it for me as the best compromise. I do like the silver one, but the face could do with being white instead of silver, i think in some lighting conditions, it could be quite hard to tell the time on that combination. The green is nice too, but i suspect it may not age well in terms of styling. The black is understated and elegant. However, if they did one with a white face but blue hands and bezel, well that would be a very different matte :)

In any event, an automatic chronograph would probably cost substantially more than any other CW gents watch, but i suspect it would be worth it, and still substantially cheaper than a comparably specified rolex/omega/breitling.

Im a little confused about one thing though, people keep saying about the second hand on the C7 being one of the small dials. but in the photos, it appears to have a second hand on the main dial as far as i can see
Who watches the watch-men
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

shrink wrote:Im a little confused about one thing though, people keep saying about the second hand on the C7 being one of the small dials. but in the photos, it appears to have a second hand on the main dial as far as i can see
The second hand for telling the time is the small dial at 6 o'clock. The large second hand, on the main dial, is used for the chronometer.
Vista
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Vista »

On the auto version how about the dial which is currently used for seconds, redesigned for days of the week and a sweeping second hand added as per the C4?
Seiko Monster
Sector Adv 5500
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

8)