Soliciting opinions

General watch information including stories of movement and brand development, service information and watch/movement evolution.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Soliciting opinions

Post by Bident »

Hello all,

I have six watches in rotation: five automatics and one manual wind (C65 Trident Diver). I generally wear one watch per day, but no hard, fast rules apply. Lately, I have been keeping all watches powered up, using a watch winder when needed (or manually winding the C65 once or twice a day). I'm curious though if forum members think it would be better to let each watch power down between wearings. On the one hand, I would think my current method saves wear and tear on the screw down crowns (C65 excepting as it is a push pull) since they remain powered and do not need to be set except for the date changes on 28/29/30 months. On the other hand, the movement might benefit from resting for three or so days between wearings (I say three days instead of five since the power reserves are generally 40 plus hours). Any thoughts on which might be better for the longevity of the watches or does it not really make any difference? My preference is keeping them powered since I don't want to be bothered setting the time each morning I put a new watch on my wrist. This has obviously become more of an issue for me in the past two years since I started with just the C65 in mid 2018 and have added five watches since. I imagine if I have 10 or more watches at some point I would abandon keeping them all powered up, but having six in rotation is in that middle ground that begs my question.
Best regards,
John
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Soliciting opinions

Post by Bungle-ator »

I say just let them run down. If setting the time is that big a deal then buy a winder or start collecting quartz watches instead.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Bungle-ator wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:47 pm I say just let them run down. If setting the time is that big a deal then buy a winder or start collecting quartz watches instead.
Thanks. I did buy a winder and have been using it, but was wondering if leaving them running indefinitely is bad for watches. Appreciate your input.
Best regards,
John
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

This is an often discussed topic, and there are 2 counter arguments.

Critics say having the watches running all day every day increases wear, which is undoubtedly true. On the flip side, winding automatic watches isn’t great, and there are some cheaper ETA / Sellita movements which don’t stand up well. I’m no expert, but if you have ever had a problem with a spinning rotor I am informed that this can be the result of stress caused by excessive winding.

So, arguments on both sides. I use a winder for convenience, so that I can choose a watch and wear it, without messing about, setting, winding, changing dates.

Those who don’t use a winder need to make sure all their watches get worn regularly so the lubricants don’t dry out.

Pick a side, and enjoy your watches.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I read, it seems, every article I come across on this subject, and never get a clear answer. I believe the general consensus from most watchmakers is there is no reason to keep a watch running if it is not being used, unless like you, you dont want to bother setting every time you put it on. I personal belief is that all things mechanical need maintaining, be it your car or your watch. We all accept the need to change oil in our cars, yet so many will complain when it comes time to service their timepieces. And like our cars the advantages of synthetic oil are many, yet they also have limitations. Mine go in every 5 to 7 years for service. If left running, it needs it. Not used that much, it may need fresh oil anyway.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Thanks for the comments above. I suppose there is no clear answer. My own situation is perhaps more at the margin since the incremental benefit of resting a movement for three days before running for another three days is questionable. I can certainly see with a larger collection, one would rest any given watch for much longer than three days, and maybe I'll get to that point in the future (it is a mad hobby we all engage in; I would have never imagined owning six watches two year ago).
Best regards,
John
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

watchaholic wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:34 am I read, it seems, every article I come across on this subject, and never get a clear answer. I believe the general consensus from most watchmakers is there is no reason to keep a watch running if it is not being used, unless like you, you dont want to bother setting every time you put it on. I personal belief is that all things mechanical need maintaining, be it your car or your watch. We all accept the need to change oil in our cars, yet so many will complain when it comes time to service their timepieces. And like our cars the advantages of synthetic oil are many, yet they also have limitations. Mine go in every 5 to 7 years for service. If left running, it needs it. Not used that much, it may need fresh oil anyway.
^ +1 from me. I have a dual winder which i rotate in which two other autos i'm going to wear in a week. I allow the others (autos and hand wind) to run down
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

This was one of the things that used to exercise my mind, along with which watch to wear on a given day, whether to rotate &c.

In the last couple of years I have come round to a more relaxed way of thinking:

1. Wear them when you want.

2. Wind them if you wish.

3. Set them when you need to.

4. Enjoy them while you can.

#4 obviously being the most important one.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:47 pm This was one of the things that used to exercise my mind, along with which watch to wear on a given day, whether to rotate &c.

In the last couple of years I have come round to a more relaxed way of thinking:

1. Wear them when you want.

2. Wind them if you wish.

3. Set them when you need to.

4. Enjoy them while you can.

#4 obviously being the most important one.
Sage advice, as always Steve.
Best regards,
John
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bident wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:27 pm Sage advice, as always Steve.
Thanks, John. I hope this isn’t too sacrilegious a comment, but I really am coming around to the view that watches are there to be worn. They serve a purpose. Yes, they can be things of beauty and they can be things that we treasure. But in reality, over the last few years, I have probably spent far more time and money on them than I really ought to have done.

I certainly have my keepers, but I also have a few that may, given time and opportunity, be moving on.

My advice to anyone starting out or advancing watch collection is to keep a sense of perspective. Enjoy it for what it is, but don’t let it take over. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:53 pm But in reality, over the last few years, I have probably spent far more time and money on them than I really ought to have done.
^^^That makes two of us.

Your wisdom is always appreciated and heeded. Cheers!
Best regards,
John
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Thanks for the sage advice Steve, well said.
As long as the hobby doesn't cross over to an obsession, or God forbid, an addiction that ruins your finances, no harm, no foul. (Yes it can happen). Personally, for me, this forum helps a lot in getting my daily horological fix. :lol:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight