History Of Ceramics In Watchmaking

General watch information including stories of movement and brand development, service information and watch/movement evolution.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

History Of Ceramics In Watchmaking

Post by tempusmaximus »

A history of ceramics in watchmaking .

https://www.timepiecechronicle.com/feat ... atchmaking
Bernie
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: History Of Ceramics In Watchmaking

Post by Mikkei4 »

An interesting comment about the orange ceramic bezel on the Omega Planet Ocean and their decision not to release it due to the expense. It looks a good colour orange though.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

As an early owner of the DSOTM, I found this article particularly interesting. I was aware of Rado's history with ceramic (and a neighbour here still has the Rado ceramic watch he bought many years ago for his late wife), but as for the rest, all news to me.

As an aside, several months ago now, I called into an Omega boutique in Bangkok and whilst chatting with the (warning, sexist comment about to appear) very friendly and attractive female manager, who I have got to know as a fairly frequent visitor, we compared my DSOTM, which I happened to be wearing, side by side with the same model (bar strap) on display in the store - and it was only the tag that gave away the unworn version. Not bad after 4 years.

As ever, thanks for posting such informative articles.
'Tis me
Dclarkwatch
Junior
Junior

Post by Dclarkwatch »

Great piece, thanks for sharing. I’ve been in love with ceramic bezels lately, but didn’t realize the level of effort and ingenuity that went into making them.