The Rolex Cyclops Lens

General watch information including stories of movement and brand development, service information and watch/movement evolution.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

The Rolex Cyclops Lens

Post by tempusmaximus »

Not just a magnifier but a hallmark of (almost) all Rolex watches with date , meet the Cyclops lens .

https://monochrome-watches.com/the-rolex-cyclops-lens/
Bernie
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: The Rolex Cyclops Lens

Post by neilj568 »

I like the Cyclops lens....(runs for cover..... :D )
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

They are certainly a bit marmite but are part of the Rolex look. I can't decide whether I get on with them or not. On the right watch I think I'd be fine with it.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
CHZacc
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by CHZacc »

Never used to be a fan of it, but now with my eyesight getting worse with age, I appreciate it :thumbup:
C60 Trident 600 PRO
C700 Grande Rapide ETA 7750
C8 Regulator
C8 P7350 #29 SH21
C8 Pilot MK II Auto
C900 SinglePusher LE
C9 Harrison Automatic
C9 FLE # 9 ''Red 12''
C9 BDD
C11 MSL Chrono
Omega Speedmaster 3606

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Ah the Rolex cyclops! :D

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I absolutely hate, hate, hate the bl**dy things, but that’s a well known prejudice of mine. To me, they are akin to scratches on a crystal; they ruin the clear viewing of the dial.

It’s not however just a hatred of a cyclops on a Rolex, it’s any cyclops. The presence of a cyclops lens is enough for me to automatically exclude any watch as a potential purchase. I can admire a watch and genuinely think it’s lovely, but if fitted with a cyclops, I simply don’t consider it for purchase. I think I t would have to be a fantastic watch for me to even consider buying it, if fitted with a cyclops. For example, I’ve only ever owned two Rolex watches - both were no-date models.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

gaf1958 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 pm I absolutely hate, hate, hate the bl**dy things, but that’s a well known prejudice of mine. To me, they are akin to scratches on a crystal; they ruin the clear viewing of the dial.

It’s not however just a hatred of a cyclops on a Rolex, it’s any cyclops. The presence of a cyclops lens is enough for me to automatically exclude any watch as a potential purchase. I can admire a watch and genuinely think it’s lovely, but if fitted with a cyclops, I simply don’t consider it for purchase. I think I t would have to be a fantastic watch for me to even consider buying it, if fitted with a cyclops. For example, I’ve only ever owned two Rolex watches - both were no-date models.
But at least you are consistent in your view on the cyclops Gary! :)

It’s an item on what might otherwise be an attractive watch from your perspective - therefore logic dictates you don’t buy it. :thumbup:

Quite right and no less correct or logical than folk who will not entertain buying a watch, they otherwise find attractive, if they do not like the manner in which the makers Mark is displayed on the dial. :wink:

Fortunately I am relaxed about the cyclops and have a mix of with and without.

The views that I find amusing are a “I hate a cyclops” comment, but on other occasions are found to have said something commenting positively on how good a particular cyclops bearing watch looks! :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

I think its just fine - having said that, none of my Rolex has one !

Edit : 16570 does :oops:
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

nbg wrote:
gaf1958 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 pmI can admire a watch and genuinely think it’s lovely, but if fitted with a cyclops, I simply don’t consider it for purchase.
The views that I find amusing are a “I hate a cyclops” comment, but on other occasions are found to have said something commenting positively on how good a particular cyclops bearing watch looks! :lol:
I have been known to fall into that category Neil :wink: but I hope I’ve gotten away with it. :lol:
Fortunately, I can like a watch, regardless of cyclops status, but living with a cyclops (which I have done, once, and it wasn’t a Rolex...) is not something I’d pay money to do a second time. It simply annoyed me the entire time I owned it, but back in the day, with little kids, I simply put up with it until I could afford and justify a new watch.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

My two penn'orth: I like them as so practical, just like a Rolex itself. I wore a Datejust for 25 years more or less daily and it was my most worn watch, only two services in all that time and it ran faultlessly. At some point it just did not seem appropriate anymore so I stopped wearing it and eventually sold it. I regret that nowadays (the only moved-on I miss) even though I would almost certainly never wear it given my lifestyle now.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on the Cyclops. I don't mind the look on sports models, but I do find that it looks out of place on the Day-Date and Datejust. What I find interesting is how poorly the cyclops works on so many homage versions. It can't be that hard to implement though, because strangely, the infamous Invicta diver has a surprisingly good magnifier.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

gaf1958 wrote:I absolutely hate, hate, hate the bl**dy things, but that’s a well known prejudice of mine. To me, they are akin to scratches on a crystal; they ruin the clear viewing of the dial.

We’ll see how you feel when your eyes are older :lol:
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I don't have strong feelings either way about the cyclops, although it is clearly part of the Rolex design language and it seems to sit quite well on most models.

Having said that, as a date-reading device I think it is flawed. From directly above, there is no doubt it magnifies the date and makes it easier to read. However, from any other angle the date is distorted and difficult to read. So, in my mind, a bigger/clearer date (where the date numeral sits comfortably inside the window) is actually a more practical solution.
Richard
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

downer wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:58 am So, in my mind, a bigger/clearer date (where the date numeral sits comfortably inside the window) is actually a more practical solution.
This. The Glashutte Original date window is maybe the best 'big date' implementation in the industry. It doesn't work in every design (I don't love it on the GO pilot), but on the right watch, even ALS can't beat it.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

The Rolex Cyclops Lens

Post by gaf1958 »

blowfish89 wrote:We’ll see how you feel when your eyes are older Image
Haha, got an answer for that one! Image I had lens replacement surgery early this year and my eyesight is now somewhat better than 20-20 at most distances, but particularly so close up. No need for a cyclops in the foreseeable future. Image
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier