Additive Manufacturing Or 3D printing

General watch information including stories of movement and brand development, service information and watch/movement evolution.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Additive Manufacturing Or 3D printing

Post by tempusmaximus »

Additive manufacturing or 3D printing coming to watchmaking . Will we ever be able to print out a watch by ourselves ? sounds appealing , but the technology is not totally there yet despite some serious recent developments .(video 7 min)

https://www.watchestv.com/videos/2018/7 ... atchmaking
Bernie
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Re: Additive Manufacturing Or 3D printing

Post by theemaadhatter »

Having dabbled in this area myself, I agree that it's not quite there yet. I have had success printing movement holders, and one features prominently in one of my watches I wear regularly. I have test-printed dials and though they're are usable, they're not great. I plan to test-print a case in the next few months with a new 3d resin printer now available in our lab. The material should be strong enough for a semi-durable case. Still, the best use for 3d printing in the watch arena right now is for prototyping.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Additive Manufacturing Or 3D printing

Post by tempusmaximus »

theemaadhatter wrote:I plan to test-print a case in the next few months with a new 3d resin printer now available in our lab. The material should be strong enough for a semi-durable case.

That sounds very interesting TMH , I hope you will let us know what the out come is :)
Bernie