More Jewels Greater The Value ?

General watch information including stories of movement and brand development, service information and watch/movement evolution.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

More Jewels Greater The Value ?

Post by tempusmaximus »

The number of jewels in a watch movement indicates value , doesn't it ? A myth debunked .

https://quillandpad.com/2018/06/29/the- ... -debunked/
Bernie
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: More Jewels Greater The Value ?

Post by sinner777 »

Well... Not quite.

Vostok movements have 31 jewels. Also some DG and Seagull movements have up to 35 jewels. Reverse wheels are jeweled, that is old solution from 60-ies.

These are 50$ watches movements.

Also some pin lever movements had up to 25 jewels, which if I recall correct was due to some forgotten law that required minimum of 17 jewels to even put the watch on market.

(all above were simple 3 hand automatic and handwound movements.. Not to confuse them with chronograph movements, which span from 17 jeweled 7750 to 40+ in DD construction... And more in exotic brands that produce in-house)

On the other hand, Seiko produced multiple versions of same movement with 17 and 21 jewels, also to accommodate another law.

And in 60ies the was a short period of jewel madness.

I owned 57 ruby and 41 ruby movement watches. Both had 17 functional jewels, rest were... Well... Decoration.

I think I have a picture of 100 jewels movement somewhere...
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: More Jewels Greater The Value ?

Post by tempusmaximus »

^^Exactly .

The article is saying that some customers , may have believed their watches that made use of precious stones (jewels) that this in some way contributed to the value of the watch . In reality the watch jewels are practically economically worthless .

We both know that the true worth of watch jewels is cut down on friction .
Bernie