Peripheral Rotors

Technical, movement information, How to's, Why's, service, parts, tool sources and more.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Peripheral Rotors

Post by tempusmaximus »

Since 2009 and the introduction of the Carl F Bucherer calibre a1000 , peripheral rotors are becoming more and more fashionable , with this smart stylish solution , the winding mass is an annular segment mounted and swinging around the movement , instead of a centrally mounted oscillating weight rotating over the movement . This offers an unobstructed view of the movement along with providing the convenience of automatic winding .

https://monochrome-watches.com/technica ... c-winding/

Bernie
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Peripheral Rotors

Post by gaf1958 »

Didn’t Citizen do something very much like this in the seventies? IIRC it worked well if you were active, but wasn’t overly successful if you were sedentary - I know that can be a problem for any automatic, but these required more movement for a given winding effort than standard winding mechanisms.

Hopefully that’s been solved. :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

gaf1958 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:22 am Didn’t Citizen do something very much like this in the seventies? IIRC it worked well if you were active, but wasn’t overly successful if you were sedentary - I know that can be a problem for any automatic, but these required more movement for a given winding effort than standard winding mechanisms.

Hopefully that’s been solved. :)
The Citizen Jet used something similar in the 60s , but im sure it was centrally geared .

Bernie
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I was a bit confused when I picked one up to try on. Turned it over to look at the movement, didn’t notice the rotor and said to the chap from the AD “I didn’t realise it was manual wind”. :lol:

Was corrected “it is an auto, the rotor is at the case edge” :oops:

Every day is a school day!

Neil
Attachments
18C0891D-CD09-4FD4-928B-C0C14CD9F8B6.jpeg
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Interesting article, thank you for posting.

One of the few modern watch-making developments that actually adds real value - thinner watches & an unobstructed view of a movement worth looking closely at.

Also another example of how difficult it can be to pin-down who deserves to be credited as the 'real' inventor of something - is it the obscure patent filed years ago that never really went anywhere, or those who brought it to tested, practical, serial production...

As it is, the closest I'm likely to get to a peripheral rotor is my Swatch Sistem51 (which, of course, is nothing of the sort, but rather a centrally-driven 360' circular rotor with a clear perspex inner, creating the illusion of a peripheral rotor).
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Some interesting information here on the peripheral rotor.

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?ti ... eral_rotor
Bernie