Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Can the forum format be changed?

Post by Caller »

mvlow wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:48 pm
Caller wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pm I agree with the OP about having a like button but I'm confused as to why he doesn't class an internet forum as being 'social media'?
I do classify the forum as social media.

When most people think of the term social media, they immediately think of FB, Instagram, and twitter. I was just trying to illustrate that these forms of social media have a type of like button, but the forum does not. I personally think of any type of social interaction online as social media :)
Where's the like button when you need it! :D
'Tis me
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

mvlow wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm If it is technically possible, maybe a survey posted by the admin/moderator team to gauge interest.
Maybe the fact that only 11 people have responded to this thread (and not all positively) reflects the Forum interest on this matter.

Just a thought.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I knew there was a familiarity to this subject as, having done a bit of searching, I found that I asked the same question back in 2013 under the heading of 'Like' Button and it was last discussed coming up for two years ago, under the heading of A 'like' feature.

On both occasions no particular traction was gained.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

scooter wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:35 pm
mvlow wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm If it is technically possible, maybe a survey posted by the admin/moderator team to gauge interest.
Maybe the fact that only 11 people have responded to this thread (and not all positively) reflects the Forum interest on this matter.

Just a thought.

scooter
You may be correct, but I think it is always worth asking a question if it is possible it could improve the forum. I have asked Kip to give his thoughts on this. If it gains no traction at least I took the time to discuss the issue.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:53 pm I knew there was a familiarity to this subject as, having done a bit of searching, I found that I asked the same question back in 2013 under the heading of 'Like' Button and it was last discussed coming up for two years ago, under the heading of A 'like' feature.

On both occasions no particular traction was gained.

Guy
Thanks for taking the time to research this question Guy. It is interesting the subject has been discussed three times since 2013, which would indicate it could possibly be a positive change to the forum, but it seems no traction is gained amongst the members. I would assume platforms such as Facebook and instagram have implemented and upgraded their formats over the years only after spending a considerable amount of time and money on research and testing, and it seems to work well for them. I remember a while back when FB added additional choices, including love, angry and sad due to consumer requests. I guess I am in the minority on the forum, as I see a benefit and no downside to adding this feature to the forum.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I find it interesting that one would consider hitting a like button interaction. It just shows how much social media outlets like FB and IG have influenced perceptions.

It’s worth noting that the like button was added as a tool to promote engagement, as distinct from interaction. By engagement I mean visiting the website or opening the app (for as long as possible!) and providing the platform with data to build better user profiles and fine tune the ads being served up.

Simply liking a post is hardly meaningful interaction, in my opinion, and hardly better than posting an emoji.

I get frustrated when threads I start generate little feedback. It makes me feel like I don’t have much to add so why should I bother with the forum....but I continue with the forum because there’s always something that grabs my interest. And I’ll keep starting the occasional thread to see if it interests people.

If I wanted a like button, I’d have stayed on FB.
Drew
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

mvlow wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 pmYou may be correct, but I think it is always worth asking a question if it is possible it could improve the forum. I have asked Kip to give his thoughts on this. If it gains no traction at least I took the time to discuss the issue.
Malcolm

I wholeheartedly agree that it is a good idea to ask questions regarding improvements but believe that one should be guided by the responses/lack off given.

Maybe the apathy shown in 2019 is merely a reflection of how it was perceived in both 2013 and 2017.

You joined the Forum on October 29th 2017 and were actively posting (31 posts) by the time, 10 days later, that the 2017 thread was started on the 7th November.

I see that you were not one of the 4 Forum members who took the time to respond to the thread so I guess your own feelings were different/apathetic then?

scooter
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

scooter wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:31 pm
mvlow wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 pmYou may be correct, but I think it is always worth asking a question if it is possible it could improve the forum. I have asked Kip to give his thoughts on this. If it gains no traction at least I took the time to discuss the issue.
Malcolm

I wholeheartedly agree that it is a good idea to ask questions regarding improvements but believe that one should be guided by the responses/lack off given.

Maybe the apathy shown in 2019 is merely a reflection of how it was perceived in both 2013 and 2017.

You joined the Forum on October 29th 2017 and were actively posting (31 posts) by the time, 10 days later, that the 2017 thread was started on the 7th November.

I see that you were not one of the 4 Forum members who took the time to respond to the thread so I guess your own feelings were different/apathetic then?

scooter
Researching my forum and post history to support your argument, really. Who knows, maybe I just didn't see a specific thread back in 2017, or maybe as you so nicely put it, I was just apathetic back then. If you don't like my current post that is your prerogative, but I don't see how trying to call me out on a non-response to a post from two years ago to make your point benefits the discussion. This like button thing is way more controversial than I had imagined. Where's a sheesh button when you need one. You have given me an idea though, whenever I disagree with someones opinion on a post in the future I can furtively search their forum membership time and post history to support my dislike for their post.
Malcolm

timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

The forum may, albeit accidentally, be ahead of the curve on not liking likes...

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-expe ... port-says/
Tim
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Sorry you decided to take my post in this way.

It appears that you really are concerned that people like your posts/you.

Don't worry, I won't interact with you again for fear of upsetting you further.

Sheesh!

scooter
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Could we get the upside down photos sorted out please as the first phase of a format change ? :silent:
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

timor54 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:45 pm The forum may, albeit accidentally, be ahead of the curve on not liking likes...

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-expe ... port-says/
It's a fair point. Whilst it is nice to get some reaction to your posts, hopefully positive constructive interaction, do we all really need the validation of a like button? I'm not sure. I'm happy enough with the status quo.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Danbailey007 »

I can see both sides of the argument, I like the idea of a like button for topics like the watch of the day as I'm not keen to clutter it up with replies but on the other hand I'm not overly fussed about if people like/dislike what I post.

I don't use Facebook any more as I got bored of the mindless scrolling and total rubbish people post. I still use Instagram but my account is private and I post maybe once a month. It's mainly just to follow a few brands, sports people and actors.

As mentioned by others the lack of input from more members seems to indicate they are happy with the status quo.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I did a review of a watch on here and then subsequently on another forum.

Here - 25 replies from 1,410 views.

Other forum - 9 replies from 7,373 views.

Still not sure whether it was a good review or not! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

A "Like" button may be useful for pics on WOTD, to avoid cluttering up with an actual comment but I don't think they are necessarily a good indicator that your post content was digested and enjoyed.

All too often, on FB, I find myself guilty of glibly adding a "Like", to content that I may not have even fully read. It is probably more of a reflex flick of the thumb! It may even be a subconscious desire to "not hurt" the poster's feelings, by ignoring it.

I would rather see a post, on here, only get a few meaningful interactions, than a whole bunch of "Likes" that may have been too easily given?

I confess that I have written posts that have had a large amount of views but very little engagement from the members. It can be a little disheartening and you do wonder if it was because your post was not that interesting? Quiet at the back...

One thing that I have found though, is that some posts can elicit PMs...

...from the MODs! :oops: :silent:
Steve.