Can the forum format be changed?

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Can the forum format be changed?

Post by blowfish89 »

I’m not too active now but the only forum item I still manage time for is to check out the Non CW of the Day thread (apart from PMs/direct quotes). Since we don’t have a follower/subscription model on the forums I don’t think I want to check out dozens of new threads every week. I also support the idea of a like (public) / favorite (private) button.

See y’all in the NCWOTD, cheers
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Can the forum format be changed?

Post by Kip »

As noted, this discussion has come up in the past, but the reality is that it really seems to garner little support overall. If you read trough all the discussion in this thread, there still is little support for a "like" button. However I have looked into it, again, and there do not seem to be proper extensions for our software/version that would allow it to work properly, let alone for the WOTD threads only.

Personally, while it may be a nice touch for some, I don't see it as being a useful function that would help stimulate conversation. To me that is what a forum is about...conversation and information. This is not Facebook and I think we delve much deeper into subjects than the FB format allows.

I don't use my Facebook account, but do occasionally look at the feeds. I do look at the CWE group occasionally, but find the FB format confusing and difficult to follow. I do not look at "likes" as a way to judge whether I should read a post or not. I look at the post and if it interests me I read it. Same on the forum. If I feel the need to comment I do. if not I don't. How many likes a topic might would not change my interest.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Kip wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:57 am As noted, this discussion has come up in the past, but the reality is that it really seems to garner little support overall. If you read trough all the discussion in this thread, there still is little support for a "like" button. However I have looked into it, again, and there do not seem to be proper extensions for our software/version that would allow it to work properly, let alone for the WOTD threads only.
Thanks for looking into the technical aspect of adding this feature via an extension Kip. Seeing as there does not seem to be a way to physically add it to the forum, the question is now mute. I appreciate the comments and input from the majority of the members that took part in this discussion.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I'm fully in favour of the like button. I belong to the Watch Forum and we have the full range of likes available there and it works. But it is a much broader church than here and everything is open to discussion (within the rules) and much more online interaction as well - raffles, forum fundraisers and so on (the forum is able to support these and payments made via paypal and so on). People still express their views on these and other subjects, but sometimes, rather than getting repetitive replies, that basically say the same thing in post after post, a number of likes instead is actually welcome.
'Tis me
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I also belong to the Watch Forum, though I am a less frequent user than Caller.

There are one or two features that I really like on there: you can use @AVO in a post, for example, and I will get a notification that you mentioned me, a bit like typing a friend’s name in Facebook. I also like the ability to highlight a sentence which gives you the option to quote it. A lot neater than the verbatim quotes of long posts (and nested quotes) that we tend to get here.

However, when it comes to the Like button I am in two minds. I agree that it can save a lot of repetitive posting, but there’s another feature on there that I am less fond of: the daily winner – in other words, the person who gets the most likes on any day. At one time this led to some highly competitive liking, though this seems to have lessened after one of the main instigators suddenly experienced a sharp decline in his posting volume – he got banned!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)