Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Can the forum format be changed?

Post by FloridaPhil »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:36 pm
Maybe I'm missing something here but what extra would a "like" button give you over a smiley emoji?
Guessing that you don't use Facebook. Right? If you did, you would know the answer I think.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Maybe I'm missing something here but what extra would a "like" button give you over a smiley emoji?
At present there is no way to click a smiley emoji without having to actually respond to the post. If a number of people were to show they liked a post by posting a reply with a smiley emoji it would quickly clutter up the thread and you would have to scroll through all those responses to see if there were any actual comments made. On the other hand if you were able to click on a smiley emoji in the same way as a like button it would show a poster how many people appreciate their post without cluttering up the thread.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:24 pm I think I agree with the concept, especially if the “like” doesn’t appear as an unread post.

A lot of my Forum time is taken up with entering an unread post/thread only to find its only someone saying “thanks, I agree or well done etc etc”

I’m not saying members shouldn’t post as above, it’s just I’m disappointed that it’s not a more meaningful post when I enter thread. And don’t get me started on those waste of space posts of only an emoji and no text at all. What’s the point of that, laziness is my guess or maybe just post count building :D

A “like” button, for me anyway, would be great.
As I said, Only if the “like” button didn’t show up as an unread post would it be an advantage. A single emoji shows up as an unread post, and subsequently a waste of time for me.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm
Guessing that you don't use Facebook. Right? If you did, you would know the answer I think.
Correct, so thanks for educating me in an answer to my question, and I never will for the same reasons that various people have stated on the "social media" thread regarding CW's Open Evenings only being shown on social media apps.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Heads You Win, Tails You Lose

Post by Mikkei4 »

scooter wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:48 pm I would be happy to have a 'like' button as long as there was a 'dislike' button as well.

That's only fair.

I think that it is important for those members programmed to gauge the relevance of their posts by all feedback, good or bad.

scooter
Yes I'd be happy with that but I bet some people would get upset by "dislikes".
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I would like to think that those members would happily learn from any 'dislikes' as they would bask in the glory of their 'likes'.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

The Reddit system works well - scoring. So people +/- a post's score and can only do so once.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Heads You Win, Tails You Lose

Post by Thermexman »

scooter wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:48 pm I would be happy to have a 'like' button as long as there was a 'dislike' button as well.

That's only fair.

I think that it is important for those members programmed to gauge the relevance of their posts by all feedback, good or bad.

scooter
I agree with this Scooter so will chuck this in for you. :thumbup:
But as I know you don’t like emojis, I’ll give myself a :thumbdown:

Now that’s fair and just proves your point. :D
Steve.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Don't worry Steve I have my emojis switched off as the little sods drive me nuts.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

mvlow wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm If I made a few posts on Facebook or Instagram and no-one commented or liked any of them, I could quickly assume I need to re-think what I am posting as no-one is interacting with them.
Explain to me why please, Malcom. Why would you feel the need to rethink what you post? To me thats just telling people what they want to hear. I don't get why someone would want to alter what they think about something just because others don't like or interact with it. I don't need acceptance from other people - my thoughts are my thoughts, I aint changing them. If people agree and want to comment, fine. If they don't want to respond or want to comment negatively thats fine too. I'm not about to lose any sleep thinking 'nobody liked what I put there I'd best rethink' - stuff that.

I do use another forum that has a 'like' button and that gives you a 'reputation score', but I rarely use it. Funnily enough though, my rep is very high for some reason. It's probably because it's a rugby league forum and I know a lot more about that than I do about watches. Plus, it's a lot more of a 'straight talking' forum than this, populated mainly by working class northerners, and not really a place for those easily offended. A very big percentage of people on there would have been banned from here within days of joining :lol:

As Scooter has said, if you have a 'like' button then you also need a 'dislike' button - I'd probably do quite well with dislikes on here :lol:
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:06 am
mvlow wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm If I made a few posts on Facebook or Instagram and no-one commented or liked any of them, I could quickly assume I need to re-think what I am posting as no-one is interacting with them.
Explain to me why please, Malcom. Why would you feel the need to rethink what you post? To me thats just telling people what they want to hear. I don't get why someone would want to alter what they think about something just because others don't like or interact with it. I don't need acceptance from other people - my thoughts are my thoughts, I aint changing them. If people agree and want to comment, fine. If they don't want to respond or want to comment negatively thats fine too. I'm not about to lose any sleep thinking 'nobody liked what I put there I'd best rethink' - stuff that.
It's not about telling people what they want to hear, it is about interaction. The whole purpose of joining a group of like minded individuals is to share your interest in the subject at hand. IMHO there is no point in my trying to interact with others if what I am posting is not causing them to interact back with me. Basically I don't join a group and spend time and effort to share and discuss with them if all I am doing is talking to myself. No-one likes **** in the wind. I can talk to my dog at home all day and have the same experience.

I will not change my opinions to please others, but if I join a car group and no-one interacts with me when I discuss cars, why would I continue to try to interact. If there are 500 car enthusiasts all enjoying each others company and sharing their experience but no-one interacts with my posts then I am probably posting stuff they are not interested in seeing. I then have three choices, 1. continue to talk to myself, 2. try to figure out why no-one interacts with my posts, or 3. move on to a group that appreciates my interaction. The key to social media is it is supposed to be "social."

A like button is just one small part of that social interaction to allow you gauge how well you are interacting with the group.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

I agree with the OP about having a like button but I'm confused as to why he doesn't class an internet forum as being 'social media'?
'Tis me
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Caller wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pm I agree with the OP about having a like button but I'm confused as to why he doesn't class an internet forum as being 'social media'?
I do classify the forum as social media.

When most people think of the term social media, they immediately think of FB, Instagram, and twitter. I was just trying to illustrate that these forms of social media have a type of like button, but the forum does not. I personally think of any type of social interaction online as social media :)
Malcolm

what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

The forum uses phpBB software as a framework and the easiest option is to customise it with 'Extensions' and 'Styles' - where a developer has created a particular function such as a 'like' button.

Extensions can be found at https://www.phpbb.com/extensions/
  • If it's not already a feature then somebody would need to develop it
  • If the feature exists already then it may be possible to add it, but it may not have 100% the functionality that this specific forum needs
Any extension requires installation, configuration, testing etc and requires a skill set to do this, that may be beyond the immediate level of the Mods, and CW may be unwilling to pay for the potential IT costs.

I think something like a 'Like' or 'Thumbs up' etc would be a good addition, but not necessarily a must have and not as simple as you may think to add.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

I've noticed that neither Kip or any of the moderators have participated in this discussion. If you are reading this thread I would appreciate your thoughts/input on this subject as there seem to be at least some members that are in favor of the idea of a like button. If it is technically possible, maybe a survey posted by the admin/moderator team to gauge interest.
Malcolm