Photo uploading

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Photo uploading

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Please would it be possible to update the picture loader system on the forum?

The necessity to link with a third party site makes the process more difficult than on some other sites(notably face book) and the CW enthusiasts group on there has a lot of traffic who enjoy the ease of uploading afforded by that platform.

If you are a member of Pistonheada
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/
They have a inbuilt loader from Thumbsnap which has been running under 'beta test' for about ten years. This enables posters to upload directly from their device into their posting.

Imagethunbsnap by Paul Drawmer, on Flickr

http://thumbsnap.com/api
There's always time for one more.
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Photo uploading

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Any comments on this from those that would implement such a thing?

I believe that a simple native picture loader would increase the post count and quality of posts (more pictures!)
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

I find it a bit of a PITA to add photos so anything to ease the pain would get a big :thumbup: :thumbup: from me
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I don't bother with photos as I don't want to deal with another third party site so if it did change I'd be more inclined to add photos.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Paul I have just had a look at ThumbSnap.

If I choose a file (I was rather surprised that it could see the content of my photo roll on my iPad, without me giving permission?) to upload, the 'about' details indicate I will be sent a line of code, so that I can share the photo.

Presumably this means that the pic I have just uploaded has now become hosted by ThumbSnap?

Does that mean the version run by Pistonheads is a more streamlined easy use version?

Disclaimer: I might be wrong, or may be a stupid question on my part, as I know sweet FA about IT stuff and how it works! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Using the API as set up in pistonheads, then yes the photo is hosted by Thumbsnap. However all the user has to do is click on the link in the edit dialogue box and the thumbsnap uploader box is displayed. User chooses file from their own computer, clicks upload, and the insert pic text is placed in the text editor automagically.

I think the PH forum is the same software is this one, so the implementation should be not too dificult (says the non-coder)