Making photos a requirement in the sales section

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Making photos a requirement in the sales section

Post by Magnus »

At the moment as far as I can tell posting a picture of the actual watch that is for sale isn't a requirement.

With all the fakes and dodgy sellers these days should the forum consider making its rule that the seller has to post at least 5 pictures of the watch for sale. One of the pictures should have your user name and the date written on a piece of paper next to one of the photos.

There are loads of cases of people 'selling' watches they do not own online - using stolen pictures.

The 30 post count before you can sell is quite low. That's a call for Kip etc but I think the addition of stricter rules for photos should be considered.

There's currently a watch for sale with no pictures. Just a link to an old Photobucket page. It's been bumped a few times since the change with photobucket as well. I'm not suggesting that's a bad seller or anything else - but I think the forum should consider a rule change.
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Making photos a requirement in the sales section

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Personally, I would be in favour of a compulsory photographs rule. It is certainly something that could be discussed. I would suggest that we wait until permanent and workable solutions to the recent Photobucket débâcle are established. Some members are still trying to find a workaround for that.

On principle, though, I would have to know and trust the person VERY WELL INDEED before buying a watch with no photographs.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

I agree with this idea. At least one picture with forum name and date would provide an additional level of reassurance.
Richard
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

Magnus wrote:
There's currently a watch for sale with no pictures. Just a link to an old Photobucket page. It's been bumped a few times since the change with photobucket as well. I'm not suggesting that's a bad seller or anything else - but I think the forum should consider a rule change.
Morning Magnus Thats proabably mine :oops: have been trying to get a hosting site to work like a lot of people who arnt as tech savey as the rest of the inmates.
Imagur and flicker dont work as far as i can tell on mobile and tablet devices for posting in forums. uploading photos is fine, you just cant do anything with them unless its facebook or ****. Not everyone has the need normally for a home computer.
Tap to talk is great for forums but dosnt give you acsess to the sales corner so not a great help with posting pics there
Thanks to a post by Downer tried Postimage.org that can be used with mobile devices fairly simpliy so photos have been re added to my sales corner posts. Have owened both watch's for a few years and they have both been posted in diffrent threads pre photo ransom not pulling a fast one just rubbish at IT. :)
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Proof of ownership picture sounds like a good idea.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I thought we already had this issue covered. Excerpt of the Sales Corner 'Forum Rules';-

Items for sale must be owned by the CWF member posting or immediate family and be in your possession.

Always start your post with the following information when using the sales-corner:

1. Model
2. Diameter
3. Condition
4. Asking-price
5. Age
6. Availability of box and papers
7. Shipping-costs
8. Current location of watch

Photographs should be of the actual watch that is for sale and should reflect the current condition. Photographs not belonging to the seller can only be used with the express permission of the photograph owner and with ownership credit stated in the listing. Generic web photos or CWL website photos are not permitted.

IMHO we don't need anything else.

If a FS post crops up with no photos it usually attracts a 'photos please' comment.

If there are still no photos, you always have the option to ignore the post and/or not buy the watch!

As for TapaTalk access to the Sales Corner, all you need to do is set the Sales Corner as a 'watched forum' in your User Control Panel (on PC) and it then appears in TapaTalk (or at least it does for me).

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
downer

Post by downer »

^^ As I understand this discussion, it is proposing an extension of the rules whereby at least one of the pictures must have the date/forum name referenced in the photo - to provide some "proof of ownership" of the watch.
Richard
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Presumably a piece of paper with username on etc in one of the photos? If we start getting technical with adding usernames to photos some users will struggle with photoshop etc
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

downer wrote:^^ As I understand this discussion, it is proposing an extension of the rules whereby at least one of the pictures must have the date/forum name referenced in the photo - to provide some "proof of ownership" of the watch.
I'll run with, and agree, with that idea. :thumbup:

We should arguably specify the forum name/date should be a 'notice' of some sort that is actually photopraphed; its too easy, if you are that way inclined, to digiatlly enhance the photo to add a 'watermark' with the details.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

Has anybody been stiffed on here recently ??
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
downer

Post by downer »

Yes, handwritten on paper. Maybe not 100% infallible, but certainly better than nothing.
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A potential buyer can also ask the seller to pass the custard test!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I'm not buying a tin of bloody custard powder just so that I can sell a watch! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

i'm a bit intrigued as to what the custard test is........ i'm not sure i dare ask!
does it involve immersion in custard to prove good faith??
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:I'm not buying a tin of bloody custard powder just so that I can sell a watch! :lol:
Just post a pic on request of the watch with an empty bottle of Rioja and a copy of the latest Times Ed, that would be an acceptable substitute. :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK