Pics on CW Gallery

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
Skipper
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 12

Pics on CW Gallery

Post by Skipper »

Since I first visited this forum the Gallery has been for me a great tool to view the different CW watches "in the flesh" as the CW website is showing only heavily photoshopped pics, only from a very limited range of angles and only the watches currently in production.

The Photo****it ransom campaign has sadly hijacked most of the gallery pics, leaving that forum section meaningless for certain watches and heavily maimed altogether.

Could be possible for the original authors to post their missing pics again? I'll be grateful as it's a pity to lose that great repository of the CW works.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Pics on CW Gallery

Post by FloridaPhil »

Photobucket has handled this in just about the worst way possible. They could easily have just placed a not-so-opaque watermark on the photos rather than screening them completely. They have effectively broken a large part of the internet.

Unfortunately, how many people will remember where they posted an image one year ago never mind 8 years ago? I spend quite a large amount of time researching another of my hobbies and that involves searching through postings in forums dating back 10 years or more. The amount of missing Photobucket images is simply stunning and I hold little hope that it will be repaired, other than Photobucket having a change of heart.

The knowledge store has largely been flushed at this stage. I think our best bet at this stage is to voice our displeasure to Photobucket but that's likely ****$ing into the wind.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Skipper
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 12

Post by Skipper »

Is the same for myself on another of my hobbies.
As per us addressing our displeasure to Photo****it I feel it utterly useless. Better to try to rebuild ourselves the database, maybe moving the posts with obsolete links to a "cupboard gallery" and posting new pics for the missing items?
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Skipper wrote:Is the same for myself on another of my hobbies.
As per us addressing our displeasure to Photo****it I feel it utterly useless. Better to try to rebuild ourselves the database, maybe moving the posts with obsolete links to a "cupboard gallery" and posting new pics for the missing items?
Yeah, but how do you find where you posted the images?
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I run a car forum and we had the same issue with Photobucket making many tutorials and other threads worthless. I installed a plugin with modified code to pull the real images from PB and store them locally on our forum. Problem solved. It will do the same for images stored on other photo hosting sites so we have any image stored locally, making them available forever.

If this forum would allow storage of pictures and have some type of photo gallery software, this issue with PB wouldn't have been a problem. Any "free" photo hosting site can disappear or go commercial any time.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

nordwulf wrote:I run a car forum and we had the same issue with Photobucket making many tutorials and other threads worthless. I installed a plugin with modified code to pull the real images from PB and store them locally on our forum. Problem solved. It will do the same for images stored on other photo hosting sites so we have any image stored locally, making them available forever.

If this forum would allow storage of pictures and have some type of photo gallery software, this issue with PB wouldn't have been a problem. Any "free" photo hosting site can disappear or go commercial any time.
Totally agree. Heck, it would be worth a membership fee or a 'premier membership' fee to offset the cost of providing hosted pics.
WatchChat on Facebook