Sale / Trade of Non Watch items

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
DadsGlasses
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 5

Sale / Trade of Non Watch items

Post by DadsGlasses »

Over time I have found that people that like to collect watches often share other collection interests as well. Fountain pens, straight razors, artwork, leather goods, model trains, etc.

Some people, myself included, just don't love dealing with EBay when it comes to selling items. I would prefer a more intimate "internet face to face" style sale on a forum. I have a higher level of trust of members on a forum such as CWL Forum than I do of general strangers on the Internet. I would prefer to sell or trade items amongst friends than to strangers.

For example, I have a beautiful Saddleback Classic Briefcase that I just don't use because the color just doesn't suit my style. I would love to trade it for a C60 Trident GMT (or other watch). I could sell it on eBay, take the money and use that money to buy a CWL watch. OR, I could do a direct trade on a forum such as this and get a chance to enjoy seeing the recipient post pics and reviews of the bag while I in turn post pics and reviews of his/her watch.

Has this been tried on the CWL forum in the past? Has it been considered?
Robert
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Sale / Trade of Non Watch items

Post by scooter »

Not for me thanks.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
DadsGlasses
Expert
Expert

Post by DadsGlasses »

scooter wrote:Not for me thanks.

scooter

What do you mean when you say, "Not for me thanks."?

A. You would be fine with the forum having a section like that but you would not be interested in utilizing it?

Or

B. You would be opposed to the forum having a section allowing the sale/trade of non watch items?

If B, what would be your reasoning? Has the forum tried this in the past? Just wondering what your thought process is regarding the issue.
Robert
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Christ.

I didn't know this was going to become an interrogation.

I assume you have tried searching for other threads.

As far as I know there hasn't been a sub forum for selling items other than watch related ones, possibly because it is a watch forum.

Oh, and if my previous post wasn't clear the answer is B. I would be opposed to the forum having a section allowing the sale/trade of non watch items. I have no wish to trawl through a Sales Corner full of non watch related stuff.

scooter
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Having a section for other items has been talked about in the past, but there was never enough support to go down this road.

On occasion, a couple members have advertised non watch items with little success.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

I highly doubt you would get the audience you need here. Someone tried to sell Bose headphones on the sales forum, I don't think even that sold.
DadsGlasses
Expert
Expert

Post by DadsGlasses »

scooter wrote:Christ.

I didn't know this was going to become an interrogation.

I assume you have tried searching for other threads.

As far as I know there hasn't been a sub forum for selling items other than watch related ones, possibly because it is a watch forum.

Oh, and if my previous post wasn't clear the answer is B. I would be opposed to the forum having a section allowing the sale/trade of non watch items. I have no wish to trawl through a Sales Corner full of non watch related stuff.

scooter
Your previous post was not clear at all, which is why I asked for clarification. I sincerely apologize if that comes across as "interrogation". In the adult world, asking for clarification is just part of civil discussion.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
Robert
DadsGlasses
Expert
Expert

Post by DadsGlasses »

Kip wrote:Having a section for other items has been talked about in the past, but there was never enough support to go down this road.

On occasion, a couple members have advertised non watch items with little success.

Thanks Kip, I appreciate the response. I was simply wondering if it had been tried, and clearly it has been discussed. I certainly didn't intend for anyone to get upset over a simple question, but every forum seems to have a few of those people.

As the issue has been put to rest, you can certainly feel free to delete the entire thread.

Thanks again for your polite, appropriate response.
Robert
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

DadsGlasses wrote:but every forum seems to have a few of those people.
Twenty days on Forum and you're already making a judgement about me.

You don't know me and Forum rules preclude me from responding to this.

I will say that your other patronising comments did not go unnoticed either.

scooter
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Hello Robert, something that has been incredibly attractive on this forum is the lack of second hand shoes, clothes or other such crud that really is better off being left at the nearest second hand shop rather than clogging up a sales corner on a watch forum. Having said that, decent quality bags, pens, knives or guns are always something I personally will look at no matter where they are posted.

By the way, I wouldn't class scooter as one of 'those people'. He is a thoroughly decent chap and the forum is definitely a better place for having him around.
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

:lol: Where's Mortis?
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

I suppose if it was in a separate sub forum, those of us who have no interest in it could avoid it.

Watches sometimes take long enough to sell here, never mind other tat, and with Sales Corners always comes an element of 'trouble' for the forum management team. I can only see that being magnified by a 'jumble sale corner'.

And, I'm sorry if I come across as 'one of those people', but when joining any club/community it is always preferable if people make at least some attempt to consider who everybody is and get to know some of them.

If you'd done that, I would hope that you wouldn't have made the somewhat condescending remarks you did...
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Tooks wrote:I suppose if it was in a separate sub forum, those of us who have no interest in it could avoid it.

Watches sometimes take long enough to sell here, never mind other tat, and with Sales Corners always comes an element of 'trouble' for the forum management team. I can only see that being magnified by a 'jumble sale corner'.

And, I'm sorry if I come across as 'one of those people', but when joining any club/community it is always preferable if people make at least some attempt to consider who everybody is and get to know some of them.

If you'd done that, I would hope that you wouldn't have made the somewhat condescending remarks you did...
In fairness the first arsey / condescending comment on the thread wasn't from the OP
DadsGlasses
Expert
Expert

Post by DadsGlasses »

Thanks for all of the helpful and insightful replies.
Robert
DadsGlasses
Expert
Expert

Post by DadsGlasses »

Reading back, I can only assume that I misinterpteted the tone of a reply in the thread. As an over reaction I did make some pointed condescending remarks. I retract those statements and I apologize for making them. If anyone was particularly offended by my comments, or by my original topic questions, I am certainly available via PM to discuss the matter further.
Robert