Old Threads

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Old Threads

Post by teestech »

When old (sometimes years old) threads are added to, does the new poster get any sort of warning when hitting the 'submit' button to remind him/her that the thread they're commenting on is dormant?

I seem to have seen quite a few old threads resurrected lately, and whilst it's obviously not always a bad thing if the comments are relevant, I wondered if the software allowed a little prompt to suggest the poster might consider starting a new thread instead? It'd certainly make updating yourself on new posts a little easier rather than having to fathom what the relevance is on a multi-page topic from years back.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Old Threads

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

But it's a great way of not exactly speed posting! :silent:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by teestech »

Such a thought never entered my head Steve, honestly! Oh, OK then, it did!
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

When I first joined the forum I posted on an old topic and the reply I got was 'Zombie'. Despite being an interest in the topic it put me off and I now avoided posting on any old threads or topics. :problem: However, it has not stopped me from reading them. :)
JAG
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by JAG »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:But it's a great way of not exactly speed posting! :silent:

I am staying out of that frying pan :silent: :lol:
My spelling & Grammar stinks i no you don't have to PM me to Explain ! :-)
holyk
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by holyk »

I am guilty of resurrecting an old thread. I wanted to post a new thread about people's favorite movies but I thought since this forum has been around awhile already, there's probably already a thread about it. So while checking it out I left my list on it as well.

I think when faced with posting on an old thread and starting a new one I prefer to post on an old one to prevent the CWF from being overburdened.
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by teestech »

I certainly wasn't suggesting it should never be done. I just thought maybe a prompt or reminder that it's an old thread might make people think twice about whether it's appropriate.
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

teestech wrote:When old (sometimes years old) threads are added to, does the new poster get any sort of warning when hitting the 'submit' button to remind him/her that the thread they're commenting on is dormant?

I seem to have seen quite a few old threads resurrected lately, and whilst it's obviously not always a bad thing if the comments are relevant, I wondered if the software allowed a little prompt to suggest the poster might consider starting a new thread instead? It'd certainly make updating yourself on new posts a little easier rather than having to fathom what the relevance is on a multi-page topic from years back.
They could just read the date tag on the previous thread. I guess its the ones concerning old watches that have been in and out of production alredy eg the C40. Someone posting like this maybe in black seems a little bit lazy.
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Old threads are like old girlfriends.

Best kept in the past.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

scooter wrote:Old threads are like old girlfriends.

Best kept in the past.

scooter
:lol:
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I don't mind an old thread being resurrected as long as the poster has something worthwhile to add to the thread. Saying "That's nice" or similar is just annoying.

If someone wants to discuss something pertaining to the old thread create a new one and provide a link to the old one and say why it is being referred. Or is that too sensible?
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

ianblyth wrote:I don't mind an old thread being resurrected as long as the poster has something worthwhile to add to the thread. Saying "That's nice" or similar is just annoying.

If someone wants to discuss something pertaining to the old thread create a new one and provide a link to the old one and say why it is being referred. Or is that too sensible?
I couldn't agree more. I would add that there is nothing more boring than a certain old thread that has come to life featuring pictures and numbers. IMO there is nothing clever about it.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

ianblyth wrote:I don't mind an old thread being resurrected as long as the poster has something worthwhile to add to the thread. Saying "That's nice" or similar is just annoying.

If the aim is to speedpost - not saying that's always the case - why would sensibleness come into the picture? :D

And if something worthwhile is being added to an old post, I'm sure no one will really complain that a new thread wasn't started (although it might be in the poster's interest to start a new thread to get more views - some members don't bother to click on a resurrected long-dead thread).
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

This is my general feeling. I will add however that newbies first 5 posts must be approved. Most posts to old threads are disapproved, but each one is looked at and considered. After that, the inmates will usually decide what is appropriate.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Zermatt
Expert
Expert

Post by Zermatt »

It is interesting how each Forum develops its own etiquette - on the forum I use the most starting new threads when existing threads exist tends to be not the done thing.

Here the opposite seems to apply, last night when wishing to discuss the idea of a Vulcan inspired CW I searched for a post where the topic had already been covered - looks like I'd have been better starting a new topic.

I guess every community develops its own house rules.
C700 , C7 Bluebird ,C60 Charcoal on Rubber, C10 2013 FLE , C65 Trident White on Brown Leather, C65 Trident Black on Bracelet , C60 MkII GMT
Omega Seamaster 300M- Omega Seamaster Crosshair