Old Threads

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Old Threads

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Zermatt wrote:It is interesting how each Forum develops its own etiquette - on the forum I use the most starting new threads when existing threads exist tends to be not the done thing.
On the whole I would agree with that. It can be very annoying to see the same questions being asked over and over again by people who could find the answers with a little selective searching.

However, when people are merely using several old threads as a way to boost their post count that's a different matter.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Zermatt
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 7

Post by Zermatt »

Agreed
C700 , C7 Bluebird ,C60 Charcoal on Rubber, C10 2013 FLE , C65 Trident White on Brown Leather, C65 Trident Black on Bracelet , C60 MkII GMT
Omega Seamaster 300M- Omega Seamaster Crosshair
jar
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by jar »

Zombies need a life too.
The last watch I bought will be the next to last watch I ever buy!
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Berkshire wrote:I would add that there is nothing more boring than a certain old thread that has come to life featuring pictures and numbers. IMO there is nothing clever about it.
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you on this I concede that it brings much joy to our Finnish friend Korkki. His limited English can be put aside as the thread is able to make him feel a valuable contributing member of this Forum. It took me a long time to appreciate this but I now commend JD and Robin CB in particular for keeping him in the game, so to speak.

The 'Use Only Three Words' thread shows me that there are current threads that have risen to the same depths of banality as the 'Numbers in Pictures' thread. The daily Waltonesque exchanges have 'IMO' dragged it down to a nadir that I would not previously have thought possible.

I have however given up my one man crusade against this thread and am now prepared to 'Live and Let Die' as Ian Fleming once wrote.

Using only three words, "God bless Korks".

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

scooter wrote:
Berkshire wrote:I would add that there is nothing more boring than a certain old thread that has come to life featuring pictures and numbers. IMO there is nothing clever about it.
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you on this I concede that it brings much joy to our Finnish friend Korkki. His limited English can be put aside as the thread is able to make him feel a valuable contributing member of this Forum. It took me a long time to appreciate this but I now commend JD and Robin CB in particular for keeping him in the game, so to speak.

The 'Use Only Three Words' thread shows me that there are current threads that have risen to the same depths of banality as the 'Numbers in Pictures' thread. The daily Waltonesque exchanges have 'IMO' dragged it down to a nadir that I would not previously have thought possible.

I have however given up my one man crusade against this thread and am now prepared to 'Live and Let Die' as Ian Fleming once wrote.

scooter
You make a valuable point and if it keeps people involved in the forum then we all benefit.
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

scooter wrote:

scooter
Thanks Scooter, I really appreciate your writing :thumbup:

We Finns are people of few words. In addition of that, I am just following the golden rule: if you don't have anything valuable to say, don't say it. So my contribution to forum has been very limited. Maybe in the future I have something valuable to give back to this marvelous forum.

I use English daily, both spoken and written, mostly with other non-native English speakers. We just don't care much about grammar or spelling (as you might find from my writing here). It's enough for us that we understand each other and no one get his/her kidneys sold :)

What comes to Number in Pictures thread, I really enjoy that silly game without any particular reason. Same applies to stupid daily wrist shot pictures I had begun to post since autumn. Maybe I just like to use “img” tag. :shock:

Overall I feel privileged and honored to be part of this friendly and fine community - It has been very expensive ride so far.

Thanks to everyone, kiitoksia :wave:
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Korkki

Many thanks for your post. I really meant what I said and I do want you you know that you are a valued member here. I know I have joked about your English many times on Forum, but you have always taken it in the friendly spirit in which my comments were made.

With very best wishes.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

scooter wrote:

scooter

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

What happened Robin? Korkki beat you posting so you put it here? :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
holyk
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by holyk »

Berkshire wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I would add that there is nothing more boring than a certain old thread that has come to life featuring pictures and numbers. IMO there is nothing clever about it.
I'm waiting for that thread to reach 1729, which is a taxicab number.
holyk
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by holyk »

Just curious, I'm seeming to get the sense from this that it is preferable to write new threads about old topics rather than defer to the old threads?
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

scooter wrote:The 'Use Only Three Words' thread shows me that there are current threads that have risen to the same depths of banality as the 'Numbers in Pictures' thread. The daily Waltonesque exchanges have 'IMO' dragged it down to a nadir that I would not previously have thought possible.

I agree with you. It was very witty and clever to start with but now is made up of good mornings and evenings. Consider it more than a one man crusade. :thumbup:
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

ianblyth wrote:
scooter wrote:The 'Use Only Three Words' thread shows me that there are current threads that have risen to the same depths of banality as the 'Numbers in Pictures' thread. The daily Waltonesque exchanges have 'IMO' dragged it down to a nadir that I would not previously have thought possible.

I agree with you. It was very witty and clever to start with but now is made up of good mornings and evenings. Consider it more than a one man crusade. :thumbup:
On same page.
Richard
Ironside

Post by Ironside »

I just replied to a topic that was first started in 2010, however I was told that it had been disapproved because it was too old. Maybe old thread Topics should be locked if we are not going to be allowed to add to them. Seems a little bit silly to leave them open if nobody can post in them. It would certainly have saved me 5 min of my life which I will never get back again :-)