Sale Section Visible for Newbs

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: Sale Section Visible for Newbs

Post by asqwerth »

phllox wrote:Well I am used to forums: 2 about Electronic / post-punk music, 1 about Vovlvo cars owners, 1 about fishtanks and .. CW watches :D
There is a forum in respect of just fishtanks? :-k

And it's not a sub-board on a forum relating to fish ?
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
phllox
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by phllox »

asqwerth wrote:
phllox wrote:Well I am used to forums: 2 about Electronic / post-punk music, 1 about Vovlvo cars owners, 1 about fishtanks and .. CW watches :D
There is a forum in respect of just fishtanks? :-k

And it's not a sub-board on a forum relating to fish ?
I should say then auquariophilie (appologies for not mastering subtilities of English) :?

... exotic fishes being my son's new hobby :wink:
Rolex Submariner 14060
Rolex GMT Master II 16710
Chris. Ward C60 Trident Pro Automatic
Longines GrandVitesse Black/Red Automatic
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sifion wrote:I see no problems with the minimum post restriction.
I quite agree. I've been a member of the RLT forum for about 3 weeks now. It's more restrictive...50 posts before you can view sales, view profiles, PM or post an avatar. By being a steady, respectful newb and hopefully not getting up anyone's nose, but posting appropriately, I've managed to get over 40, so will soon be able to see SC. Am I bovvered? :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
WatchmanUSA
Junior
Junior

Post by WatchmanUSA »

30 posts isn't unreasonable. If you have been trolling the main site and forum, there is plenty to discuss and always a new picture of a new purchase to admire and enjoy.
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by NMS75 »

asqwerth wrote:There is a forum in respect of just fishtanks? :-k
Have you not seen Fish Tank Kings on TV then? :lol:

Mark
Watches: Christopher Ward C7 Rapide MKII | Christopher Ward C70 Grand Epreuve | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 | Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red
lanari31
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by lanari31 »

Agreed
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

On the Skoda forum I use, briskoda.net, you have to be a Freedom member to post sales threads with an annual subscription of £12.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 2
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

I expect all that hard work getting to 30 posts and then finding the "For Sale" section empty was quite the disappointment. :-({|=
bl10

Post by bl10 »

Hi all, my first post here. I'm guilty of trying to peek at the sales section. :)

After a c60 with black bezel and it's price relatively cheaply so that I'm wondering whether I should fork out for a new piece rather than a used one.
innojuk
Junior
Junior

Post by innojuk »

Good attitude :thumbup: Just a shame that a couple of newbies this week don't share your common sense & seem to think posting pointless one-liners all over the place is worthwhile participation.[/quote]

And therein lies the issue with the rule. Of course people are going to just post pointless on liners in an attempt to get their numbers up. While patience may well be a virtue it is not one that many seem to have these days.

I can see the rationale behind not allowing newbies to post things for sale, I cannot, however, see what difference it makes allowing what is for sale to be viewed.

Unlike WUS this forum is more brand specific, I appreciate that there is a section for 'other brands', but there may be only so much that a newbie feels they can contribute on a forum where so many are so knowlegable about that particular brand.

My main reason for being on this forum is because I am seeking to purchase a specific no longer produced CW watch and why should that not be ok?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

My main reason for being on this forum is because I am seeking to purchase a specific no longer produced CW watch and why should that not be ok?
You can review the discussion here.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
innojuk
Junior
Junior

Post by innojuk »

Kip wrote:
You can review the discussion here.

Kip thanks for that, I had sort of read through that thread and there seemed to be as many against the idea as for. However, I have just noticed that there is a comment that states if you log out you can view the sales forum, is that still the case??

Thanks
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

innojuk wrote:I have just noticed that there is a comment that states if you log out you can view the sales forum, is that still the case??
Why not just try it yourself and let us know how you get on?

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

Nothing prevents anyone from listing their 'wants' in their signature line. Then, every time you post, others will see your 'want'. :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

innojuk wrote:I can see the rationale behind not allowing newbies to post things for sale, I cannot, however, see what difference it makes allowing what is for sale to be viewed.
It is the same rationale - having a basis for trust - buying / selling on ebay has a whole system of checks and balances to assist buyers and sellers - if nothing else, ebay knows you bank / paypal details and your address ;) on a private forum that is not the case - watches on here often sell in the mid 100s and that is a lot of money to risk - I know that the risk is minimised when I feel I know a bit more about the person / their reputation / how they post / etc. There are people on here I have never met but who I reckon are 100% trustworthy - you just get a feel for it after a while...

if you allow newcomers to see what is for sale - they will simply pm the buyer and you are back to the same issue of deals where there is less knowledge...
innojuk wrote:My main reason for being on this forum is because I am seeking to purchase a specific no longer produced CW watch and why should that not be ok?
This forum's purpose isn't primarily a watch dealership ;) so while it is a useful place to look - the vast majority of second hand watches are sold through ebay (c.f. my tracker website below). It is a privately owned forum, so none of us are entitled to expect anything - we are here at the courtesy of Hans the owner - when someone comes because their main reason for being here is to buy a specific watch, then they are simply wanting to use the forum and not support it - why is that appropriate? So someone doesn't want to put any effort into contributing / doesn't wish to become a part of the community - but feels entitled to be able to have the same privileges as those who are prepared to put in the effort...? you ask 'why should that not be ok?' - because quite honestly it is rude to the owner of the forum...

saying that the sales area is a benefit for those who wish to be a part of the community is I think quite appropriate...

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace