The Lume

A limited Edition Kingfisher especially for forum-members
Sold out
King-of-Riva

The Lume

Post by King-of-Riva »

Guys, I think i'm gonna take the plunge on one of these beauties. Those pictures are simply dazzling.

However the Lume topic about the watch not glowing as much as the quartz models worries me.

To any of the guy's (Hans e.t.c.), is it really that bad or is it just a slight dip in luminosity?

Am I just being unnecessarily fussy?
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: The Lume

Post by joerattz »

Hans would be a good one to respond because he has both the forum LE and a stock KF. I don't have a stock KF so I can't tell you how much better its lume is than the forum LE. I can tell you though that the glow is poor in my opinion on the forum LE. It is however pretty cool looking in normal lighting conditions because it is what I would call cyan. The cyan markers against the blue dial is quite striking. For many, the lume may not be a big deal, but it is important to me so I am disappointed. What I don't understand is that I thought superluminova is supposed to be the mac daddy of lume. But, virtually every lumed watch I have glows better than my forum LE. That makes me question the lume...is it really superluminova? I don't mean to imply Chris is trying to pull a fast one over on us...but I wonder if one of his suppliers is trying to do that to him. But, I don't have enough of a collection or experience to know.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

There are quite a few factors that influence the performance of the lume:
- the type of lume (tritium, luminova, superluminova)
- the way the lume is applied (thickness of layer, size of surface)
- the pigment of the lume

If I compare the performance of the lume of my LE Kingfisher with my regular Kingfisher it is slightly less, only noticable if I compare them next to each other. I think this slighty less performance is caused by the pigment of the lume. Although I have watches that have stronger lume, for me the lume of te LE is acceptable.
Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by Rick »

Hans wrote:If I compare the performance of the lume of my LE Kingfisher with my regular Kingfisher it is slightly less, only noticable if I compare them next to each other. I think this slighty less performance is caused by the pigment of the lume. Although I have watches that have stronger lume, for me the lume of te LE is acceptable.
I completely agree with you Hans 8)
C5AKS - C7 Rapide - C4IPK - C6T3 - C6 Forum LE - W6 Splash - C8SWT - C70 DBR1
Breitling Hercules - Omega SMP - Boschett Cave Dweller - Seiko Monster - Porsche Design P'6310
Tissot Sea Touch - Oris Pro Diver - Dreyfuss 1925 - Tissot V8 - Deep Blue Pro Sun
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

Blue Superluminova is a bit less bright than pale green Superluminova... so that explains it.

The only thing I would've liked about the LE more is if the lume would have a bit more stamina, enabling me to read the time in the morning after a night of non-exposure to light.

That it doesn't do - but then again, me only watches that do this are my Lumibrite equipped... (dare I say it? Yes I do...) Seiko's. All three of them.

Therefore, up to now, all my CW watches were not suitable for camping trips. I tend to wake up early (usually before 6am), and when I do so on a September camping trip, it's too friggin' dark to read anything but me Seikos.

However, today was my 50th birthday. And since my Victorinox pocket knife was coming apart (after umphteen years of being taken with me every single day, the red plastic covers started to disintegrate), my wife decided that I needed a new one. So she ordered me a Victorinox Huntsman Lite... which has everything my old trusty Vctorinox has, plus a little LED torch! It doesn't even come close to what my Maglite does, but when camping, it's ever so useful... it even helps me find the Maglite in case I need to illuminate the clouds ;-)
Not only does this knife fill every need that I have from a pocket/camping knife, it also enables me to read the time on my C6 at 6 am on a dark September morning. And since the knife goes wherever I am, that is just what the doctor ordered!
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
Budgie
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Budgie »

Happy Birthday Peter =D>
King-of-Riva

Post by King-of-Riva »

Thanks for the input guy's, i'm definately gunning for one now!

This is my first watch of such caliber, thus my first with superluminova.

Most of you guy's have big collections and obviously have seen some bright lume from very good watches. Judging from that, I think this watch will be very bright compared to my bottom rung TAG Heuer F1 (which only has normal lume) and could even impress me.