A limited Edition Kingfisher especially for forum-members
Sold out
Gray C
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

LE. What is your verdict?

Post by Gray C »

I have read some very positive comments about the LE on this forum. However, there have been a few complaints about the strap finish, clasps being wrong, the IPK and the strange fact that some watches arrived with the rubber straps not attached.

Personally, I like mine and I think it is excellent value for the money. It is running a bit fast, but I am not too worried about this as it needs time to settle down. If it remains fast I will pop it into a local jeweller to have it regulated. I also need to determine the best resting position for it.

My only disappointment (like Joe) is the poor lume compared to my other watches.

Overall view, very pleased.

What are your views?
Christopher Ward Kingfisher LE 31/100
Omega Bond Seamaster LE 655/10007
Omega QoS Planet Ocean LE 1829/5007
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Re: LE. What is your verdict?

Post by Hans »

I'm very pleased with my LE, especially like the strong blue dial! It wears very comfortable with rubber strap (fits like a glove), but I was already used to that with my yellow quartz KF.
Nico
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Nico »

Hi,

In general I like this "project" and the LE very much. I like the design, the great dial and the rubber strap very much. The whole watch is very pleasant. Unfortunately, the lume could be brighter.

Some improvement suggestions to CW (according to the next LE :D ):

- Improving the processing of ordering /delivering
- Guaranteeing that every watch is delivered as ordered (steel clasp)
- Guaranteeing that every watch is completely assembled (straps)
- Leaving out the promise about the regulation (too many misunderstandings)

But for all that I like the LE ! Thank you Hans, thank you CW!

Nico
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

I, for one, am chuffed to bits.

There is NO EFFIN' WAY you're going to get an automatic diver of this quality level at this price ANYWHERE else. Period.
The bezel functions like no other bezel I have had the pleasure of operating. It is VERY positive, and very easy to set, yet it is quite hard to accidentally set it. That is a Good Thing for a real diver.
Mine is 2 to 4 seconds a day fast... but to me, that means nothing, since the movement still has to run in. I'll keep it running for a couple weeks... and when it settles down, I'll have it regulated.

If anyone is unhappy with theirs, please contact yours truly... I'll be happy to offload you, paying whatever you paid for it if it's still in near-new condition.

Yes, the lume could be brighter. But for me, that wouldn't cure the problem I have with the lume: it has no stamina - the glow doesn't last through the night. But what with this being Superluminova, I sort of kind of expected that.

Having said that, mine arrived with the strap completely off, and if I reattach the bracelet, it comes back off just like that. Chris suspects that this is due to the spring bars not being compatible with the holes in the lugs. I'm sure that this will be fixed.

I guess that I'll just have to order a white C6 to fill the gap as I send the LE back in - if a couple new spring bars do not cure the problem.

peter
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

peterh wrote:If anyone is unhappy with theirs, please contact yours truly... I'll be happy to offload you, paying whatever you paid for it if it's still in near-new condition.
And, after having said that, I just acquired number 32, on a black leather strap.

Jeeeeeez, I'm lucky!

cheers,
peter
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder

Post by Hans »

Whow, congrats Peter!
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

Love it.
Budgie
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Budgie »

You won't be getting mine Peter,since I had the strap put on its hardly been off my wrist,fantastic watch and as Hans says the rubber strap fits like a glove. :)
Nico
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Nico »

Budgie wrote:You won't be getting mine Peter,since I had the strap put on its hardly been off my wrist,fantastic watch and as Hans says the rubber strap fits like a glove. :)
The rubber strap is just perfect! I am loving it.

It fits much better than expected and additionally it looks great!

Nico
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

I *love* the look of the rubber strap. It's just that I don't find rubber straps very comfortable to wear. I'm happy with either leather or bracelets.
ukzaf
CW-watches: 0

Post by ukzaf »

Hi Guys,

I am the proud owner of No 22. The watch itself is great. I don't have a problem with the lume either. However, I am a bit disappointed that the finish on the IPK bacelet is ropey at best. It looks very cheap. The watch does not.

I am going to ask Chris for the plain steel bracelet.
stoneyloon
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by stoneyloon »

ukzaf wrote:Hi Guys,

I am the proud owner of No 22. The watch itself is great. I don't have a problem with the lume either. However, I am a bit disappointed that the finish on the IPK bacelet is ropey at best. It looks very cheap. The watch does not.

I am going to ask Chris for the plain steel bracelet.
I've already asked Chris to swap my standard steel braceletfor an IPK one as it is identical to the strap on my red peregrine. If I don't hear back soon (already waited over a week!) then maybe we can swap independently?

Although it is looking good on the spare rubber strap I ordered with it!
Cheers,
Adam.

Caught the bug........
ukzaf
CW-watches: 0

Post by ukzaf »

Hi Adam, I don't have a problem with that if you are sure. Let me know if Chris does not get back to you.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

As I said earlier, I now have #24 and #32. If I give both 15 winds and leave them case-down, over a period of 6 hours, they both run equally fast - one second. It is frightening to see both watch's second hands moving in perfect unison for hours on end.

I also did a little lume evaluation for Joe. The lume is as I expected: disappointing. When exposed to a fierce light source for a minute, it remains readable for a couple hours, but that's it. Enough for a dive at any depth that you'd need to decompress for, that's for sure... but still.
Hours after you won't be able to find the LE, the Seiko will still be clearly readable.

But I said "as expected", for two reasons:
1. blue superluminova is inherently a little less bright than pale-green superluminova, and, more importantly:
2. I am also a Seiko owner, which inherently means that any Superluminova-equipped watch will disappoint me. I've compared my €100 Seiko automatic's lume to Rolexes (both fake and real), a Breitling and a Longines. All of them failed miserably.

As I said to Joe: you have to hate these guys. They have the best quartz movements, they have the best auto chronograph movement, they have the toughest metals, they have an execution quality per dollar that is unequalled... AND they have the best lumes.

Good thing that their Hardlex isn't nearly as tough as the sapphire crystal that Chris is using... plus that Chris is a better watch designer.

The other good thing for divers about the Kingfisher is that, even though the lumed dot may be hard to locate by vision after an hour, the entire bezel can still be "read" by touch.

peter
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

And, after spending a night in total darkness, the watch was perfectly readable in total darkness this morning at 7 am... way better than the C6 that I own.

So there... the lume is pretty decent! :)