A limited Edition Kingfisher especially for forum-members
Sold out
John
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

Re: What bracelet or strap on the LE?

Post by John »

peterh wrote:I'm not sure if I understand your question, but here goes.

I used to own a motorcycle with a powdercoated frame. The steel never showed up from under the scratches.
I'm quite sure that a motorcycle frame would have to take more from everyday life than the average watch bracelet would.

Peterh,

I don't think that's a good comparison.
The thickness of the powdercoating is much more then the thickness of the IPK.
I think the scratches of the IPK will show some underlaying colour (RVS).
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

John wrote:
peterh wrote:I'm not sure if I understand your question, but here goes.

I used to own a motorcycle with a powdercoated frame. The steel never showed up from under the scratches.
I'm quite sure that a motorcycle frame would have to take more from everyday life than the average watch bracelet would.

Peterh,

I don't think that's a good comparison.
The thickness of the powdercoating is much more then the thickness of the IPK.
I think the scratches of the IPK will show some underlaying colour (RVS).
I'm not so sure. The coating layer would probably be thicker, but the force with which the coating is hit by offending objects (dust, sand, grit, doves, camels, what have you) is probably a lot higher too.
Paint layers on a bike frame are usually much thicker too. Yet the powder coating stood up much better to road grit (steenslag) than normal paint.

Powder coating is a funny process, with funny properties. The coherence (the ability of the two materials to stick together when some force is trying to separate them) between powder coating and steel is much higher than you'd think.

But in the end, peace of mind is in the mind of the beholder.

After applying some reverse psychology, I can only think that if I were in your disposition, I'd get an SS bracelet - worrying about scratches spoils the experience of owning a watch altogether. For a Professional Worrier(TM), SS is the way to go.

I am joking a bit about this, but please keep in mind that I'm not poking at you. I know how it feels to be a Professional Worrier(TM). I have Worrying Tendencies (I mean, I did actually send my frame off to be powdercoated), and my wife actually is a Professional Worrier(TM). When I got the Peregrine Red that is supposed to go to my grandson as soon as his wrist is big enough to sustain it, she suggested that I would store it in a bomb-proof shelter. I had to tell her that I actually appreciated the fact that the Omega that I got from my grandfather was well-worn and well-scratched... I was mighty chuffed to get his favourite watch, and I still am mighty chuffed to wear a watch that he wore so often.

peter
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

peterh wrote:After applying some reverse psychology, I can only think that if I were in your disposition, I'd get an SS bracelet - worrying about scratches spoils the experience of owning a watch altogether. For a Professional Worrier(TM), SS is the way to go.
Now you are talking about me. SS is the way I plan to go.
peterh wrote:I had to tell her that I actually appreciated the fact that the Omega that I got from my grandfather was well-worn and well-scratched... I was mighty chuffed to get his favourite watch, and I still am mighty chuffed to wear a watch that he wore so often.
I had a girlfriend once that actually used her finest possessions, especially the ones she inherited. I thought it was odd at first. This was the kind of stuff (jewelry/china) that I would typically put in safe keeping and never use. I asked her about and she said "I use my stuff." Over time, I came to realize that what made that bowl have value to her was the memories she had of her grandmother using that bowl. The cookies grandma and her made together...that was what made the bowl valuable. If you don't use the stuff, it is just stuff. Most kids will not appreciate inheriting some perfectly maintained 30 year old watch. To them, it will just be an old watch. If its the watch they remember dad or grandpa wearing, it stands a much better chance of truly being appreciated. Maybe not when they are 20, but when the get older.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
John
Guru
Guru

Post by John »

I always wear my watches and do not store them in a box, but I like to keep them as tidy as possible.
When I know a finish isn't very durable I like to choose another finish.
That's not the same as worrying, I try to make an well considered decision.

My Breitling is very shiny and scratches easily, but I wear it often.
Nevertheless I can always polish it when it is too much scratched, with the IPK finish that won't work.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

joerattz wrote:Over time, I came to realize that what made that bowl have value to her was the memories she had of her grandmother using that bowl. The cookies grandma and her made together...that was what made the bowl valuable.
NOW someone's talking.

I asked my gramps about that watch he was wearing all the time, and he told me about it.

Therefore, I am wearing that same watch, scuffs and scratches and all, quite often. I don't mind it being "not tidy", let alone "not as tidy as possible". These scratches are HIS scratches... he MADE these scratches by being alive and wearing this watch, and I love this watch BECAUSE of these scratches, not despite them.

In my opinion, keeping a watch "as tidy as possible" equals "keeping it from being alive". Furthering this, polishing any scratches off to me means "erasing its previous existence".

I realise that the extent of my disagreement with John's statement may seem as if I disqualify his assessment. While this is not the case, I would like to stress that I appreciate that all the scratches that my grandfather caused onto the Omega Genève that is on my wrist are still there.

Having said that, I would immediately admit that the drive to choose a watch that would stand the test of time was his drive as well. He would probably have chosen SS over IPK. Merely because, at the time, IPK didn't exist - but if he, like John, would not have been intimately familiar with the specific properties of powder coating, he would've chosen SS anyway. That would have been his choice, and I would have admired it BECAUSE it was his choice.

And that's what I mean - if you make a choice that you believe in, that is The Right Choice. Regardless of what anyone else (and that would include me) might think, Your Choice is The Right Choice.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
John
Guru
Guru

Post by John »

After considering for some time which bracelet to take, I choose the IPK/SS mixed bracelet.
I anyhow think it's a good choice, because it's a bracelet that's not very common.
It is a real Limited Edition bracelet IMO.
If it lasts for a long time we will see over a period, but in the mean time it is anice combination with the black and white bezel.

I'm looking forward to see it in real life.
threed

Post by threed »

Hi guys,

I order already the LE with steel bracelet, but I love the looks of the rubber strap too.
Do you think is possible to buy additonal rubber strap ?
stoneyloon
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by stoneyloon »

Yeah, that's what I did, it's only an extra £15........
Cheers,
Adam.

Caught the bug........