A limited Edition Kingfisher especially for forum-members
Sold out
John
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

What bracelet or strap on the LE?

Post by John »

I like the LE with a bracelet, but i'm not sure what bracelet to choose.
The one with the IPK finish is very nice but maybe a little too "busy".
The other bracelet is a little more "plain" and perhaps looking better on the LE.

As you see i am not sure yet which to choose.

What bracelet or strap do you want on your LE or normal kingfisher?
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Re: What bracelet or strap on the LE?

Post by peterh »

I'm opting for the IPK. A bit "louder" indeed than the plain one, but not too loud.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
John
Guru
Guru

Post by John »

I like the IPK very much too, but i'm not sure yet.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

I just sat down and looked again.

IMHO, the black IPK center pieces make the bracelet look a bit narrower and sleeker. It also adds a touch of individuality.

Having said that, the standard SS bracelet won't be a slouch either, because of the highly-polished details. I've got a similar bracelet on the Red Peregrine, and the sandblasted SS with the high-gloss rims around the center links add a lot of visual delight.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

peterh wrote:I just sat down and looked again.

IMHO, the black IPK center pieces make the bracelet look a bit narrower and sleeker. It also adds a touch of individuality.

Having said that, the standard SS bracelet won't be a slouch either, because of the highly-polished details. I've got a similar bracelet on the Red Peregrine, and the sandblasted SS with the high-gloss rims around the center links add a lot of visual delight.
I agree, but I can't seem to find out how well the IPK holds up long term. Will I have to replace my strap in 2 years due to how easily it scratches or wears thru? Stainless has proven itself but if IPK wears as bad as Gold plating, I am not really interested no matter how good it looks now because soon it will just plain look like crap!! Not a good deal for me especially for a LE model. Unless I learn differently it will be stainless for me regardless of how much theIPK jumps out at me.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by President »

The whole point of IPK is that it's tough.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

President wrote:The whole point of IPK is that it's tough.
I understand it is supposed to be tough, but do you think it Is tough enough to hold up to daily use. I am considering buying the extra stainless bracelet just in case. Opinion? Any experience yourself with IPK?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by President »

Kip wrote:Opinion? Any experience yourself with IPK?
No. Just a reasonable guess that something that's supposed to be tougher than steel can handle daily use.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

President wrote:
Kip wrote:Opinion? Any experience yourself with IPK?
No. Just a reasonable guess that something that's supposed to be tougher than steel can handle daily use.
Thanks for your opinion. It seems the only way to know for sure is to try it.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

John
Guru
Guru

Post by John »

That's also my concern, how will the IPK be on the long term.
Isn't here a Corax-owner who can tell?
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

I don't think that there are Corax owners with long term experience, simply because the Corax family hasn't been around long enough to accumulate any long-term experience.

Good gold plating doesn't look like crap after 2 years of daily use. I've got 3 gold-plated watches here, one of them has seen daily use for >5 years (a lowly Citizen), and none of them look like crap. They're scratched and scuffed alright, but for me, the scratches and scuffs add to the character of the watch. You'd have considerably more scuffs and scratches on a solid gold watch.
On none of them, the SS base material comes through.

Since IPK is supposed to be tougher than gold plating, you should be pretty much ok for the next 10 years, I'd think.

I also think that, when you see the first signs of crappiness come through in, say, 2 years from now, you've still got time to order an SS bracelet.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

peterh wrote:I don't think that there are Corax owners with long term experience, simply because the Corax family hasn't been around long enough to accumulate any long-term experience.

Good gold plating doesn't look like crap after 2 years of daily use. I've got 3 gold-plated watches here, one of them has seen daily use for >5 years (a lowly Citizen), and none of them look like crap. They're scratched and scuffed alright, but for me, the scratches and scuffs add to the character of the watch. You'd have considerably more scuffs and scratches on a solid gold watch.
On none of them, the SS base material comes through.

Since IPK is supposed to be tougher than gold plating, you should be pretty much ok for the next 10 years, I'd think.

I also think that, when you see the first signs of crappiness come through in, say, 2 years from now, you've still got time to order an SS bracelet.
Thanks for your opinions guys. I too have a Citizen gold plated watch. Although the watch itself is o.k., the bracelet (stainless) started to show thru after a couple dozen wearings. I don't know if the process is the same for the bracelet as it is for the watch in Citizens case, but it makes me wary. I think I have decided just to buy the extra bracelet for the LE and see how the IPK works out. Then I can let you all know. I think you may be right Peter, there probably isn' enough Corax out ther for long enough yet to judge.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

Kip wrote:Thanks for your opinions guys. I too have a Citizen gold plated watch. Although the watch itself is o.k., the bracelet (stainless) started to show thru after a couple dozen wearings.
Hmm. My Citizen came with a tan strap. It survived several of these before it decided to give in. At that point, the gold plating looked scratched, but it didn't wear off.
John
Guru
Guru

Post by John »

I know there are no Corax owners who can tell how the IPK will last on the long term.
But maybe there is someone who knows the last on the short term.
I can imagine the IPK will scratch easy, and then you can't repair like a brushed bracelet.
Under the IPK the bracelet will be "normal" SS, so when scratched maybe you see the brighter material through the IPK.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but here goes.

I used to own a motorcycle with a powdercoated frame. The steel never showed up from under the scratches.
I'm quite sure that a motorcycle frame would have to take more from everyday life than the average watch bracelet would.