Sold out
David James Payne
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

COSC Certification

Post by David James Payne »

Hans,

In browsing the Stowa website (drool, drool!), I note that they give a COSC Certified movement option on their watches (at an additional cost, of course)- all Stowa watches also seem to use ETA 2824 -2 movement -is this a possible option for the LE Kingfisher, or will it be unnecessary if Chris is "hand regulating" the LE on an individual basis? Beauty of COSC Certification is that there is documentary evidence of a watches accuracy, within limits. Appreciate that this accuracy can drift overtime, but COSC Certification is a plus sales point.

Regards

David
Joy to all watch lovers. :D

DJP
John
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

Re: COSC Certification

Post by John »

The Chronometer movement will cost € 210,- at Stowa.
That's a lot of mony for a movement that's very easy to regulate.

Every watchmaker can make this movement easy run into the specs of the COSC Certification.
Or you can do it yourself.

Chris promised to regulate the LE kingfishers within the COSC specs.
That's as good and much cheaper than a certification.

The certification will make a watch more expensive and that's a waiste of money IMO.
Nico
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Nico »

John wrote:The Chronometer movement will cost € 210,- at Stowa.
That's a lot of mony for a movement that's very easy to regulate.

Every watchmaker can make this movement easy run into the specs of the COSC Certification.
Or you can do it yourself.

The certification will make a watch more expensive and that's a waiste of money IMO.
100% agree!
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by President »

David James Payne wrote:Hans,

In browsing the Stowa website (drool, drool!), I note that they give a COSC Certified movement option on their watches (at an additional cost, of course)- all Stowa watches also seem to use ETA 2824 -2 movement -is this a possible option for the LE Kingfisher, or will it be unnecessary if Chris is "hand regulating" the LE on an individual basis? Beauty of COSC Certification is that there is documentary evidence of a watches accuracy, within limits. Appreciate that this accuracy can drift overtime, but COSC Certification is a plus sales point.

Regards

David
If CW ever make something on a grander scale (e.g.: solid gold, automatic chronograph or a Tourbillon), I would certainly consider paying for the extra.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

It IS much cheaper. Especially if you have to split the cost of certification over 100 watches, rather than over "as many as you can sell".

And yes, it would be a complete waste of money.
For as much as 250 dollars or thereabouts, you can get a watch that says "certified chronometer" on the dial. The fact that everything on the dial, including the brand name, and the time (except the date shown in the date window if you're lucky) is a blatant lie, and the fact that you are then looking at a watch with a movement that would make Seiko's 7s26 stamped-steel movement look like horological heaven, and that the watch will probably loose a minute or so a day, and the fact that it will die within three years, kind of nullifies the value of these words.

But it's not "as good".
To get an automatic to consistently run within the -3/+5 seconds a day certification (and that is in 5 positions, mind you!) it needs to thoroughly run in first.
The catch: Chris would have to run all 100 watches in, and THEN adjust them.

Apart from the fact that this would raise the cost of the watch prohibitively, it would also mean that we would have to wait for the duration of the time needed, which can take a couple months, and I doubt that many of us will want to wait that long.

So... "as good" constitutes "let the watch run in, and THEN take it to a qualified watch maker and have him tweak it to within chronometer accuracy.

And that,apparently, is VERY easy to do with today's movements. Much to my amazement, I have a 100 euro automatic here which has been regulated by my watchmaker. I dismissed it earlier for being wildly inaccurate.

Over the last week, it first gained 3 seconds, and then started to drift back until it was back to spot on. From last Friday morning to now, the watch has lost 2 seconds. And this from a rock-bottom-cheap movement.

Now, if that doesn't nullify the value of a Chronometer certification, I don't know what does.

Oh, wait... I do.
I've got a 150 euro quartz watch here that gains 6 seconds PER YEAR. Every time we switch from daylight savings time, I find that it has gained 3 seconds and a tiny bit. Every time we change back to daylight savings time, I find that it's gained less than three seconds. Consequently, I can't be bothered to ever set it in between these moments.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder

Post by Hans »

I too agree with John, a COSC-certified ETA 2824-2 is a bit of a waste of money. My two Malverns with ETA 2824-2 run well within range of COSC without certificate.
David James Payne
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by David James Payne »

Just thought I'd ask!
Joy to all watch lovers. :D

DJP
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder

Post by Hans »

And I think it is a very good question! The answers you just got are the personal opinions of a few watch-nerds :wink:
John
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by John »

Some people will think of it as added value and some don't , as we've seen over here.
Maybe in the future Chris can make this an option.

Personally I don't want to pay extra for the COSC certification,
but if someone sees is as a plus and is willing to pay for, why not..........
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

[quote="President"][quote="David James Payne"]Hans,

Regards

How important really is the COSC and what exactly is meant by "hand regulating"? Maybe I am a bit to much of a novice and certainly not a collector in the true sense. I buy watches I like, are affordable and have visual appeal to me. I do try to stick to quality products. Although I do appreciate the excellence of Top Drawer products, the cost is certainly not necessary. I have a fascination with watches both wrist and pocket but most are autos or manual and seem to keep accurate enough time for me. I must reset most watches I have(wear) each time I put it on so I guess this is something I am missing as a novice WIS. Or is it?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
President
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by President »

Kip wrote:
President wrote:
David James Payne wrote:Hans,

Regards

How important really is the COSC and what exactly is meant by "hand regulating"? Maybe I am a bit to much of a novice and certainly not a collector in the true sense. I buy watches I like, are affordable and have visual appeal to me. I do try to stick to quality products. Although I do appreciate the excellence of Top Drawer products, the cost is certainly not necessary. I have a fascination with watches both wrist and pocket but most are autos or manual and seem to keep accurate enough time for me. I must reset most watches I have(wear) each time I put it on so I guess this is something I am missing as a novice WIS. Or is it?
COSC is only important if the watch is supposed to be a piece of horological excellence. Hand regulating is adjusting the movement by hand to adjust the accuracy.