Re: Forum LE

Post by Daz »

:?
CFK-OB
Senior
Senior

Post by CFK-OB »

I agree Daz. I myself sent numerous e-mails asking about ship dates. However, this was only as a result of being told the watch would ship at a certain date and not getting it. Had we been told that the ship dates would be the end of June rather than the beginning, I don't think any of us would have been bothered - what's another few weeks after being willing to wait six months.

On the point of the watches themselves, I would also agree that it might be time for Chris to charge a bit more to get a better product. It wouldn't take much to elevate the LE / Kingfisher to a much better watch (I use the LE as I haven't seen any other CW watch in the flesh and therefore haven't been able to examine them in detail).

My main gripes with the watch are either quality control or build quality. Quality control is easy - as you say, someone checking in more detail would mean there would not have been any mark on the watch, the bezel would line up properly and the dust under the crystal would not have been there. On build quality, how much extra would it have cost to have a better clasp with a divers extension? Maybe getting the crystal to be more uniform shape would have cost a bit, but really, would it have been that much? I would have been happy to pay an additional €100 for my watch to have these things sorted. It would still be inexpensive at that cost.

I would also like to see CW offer chronometer grade movements in the same way that Stowa do. They charge an additional €210 to get the chronometer version of the 2824. Not everyone would want it, hence offering as an option for those that do.

I feel that they are nearly there, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the new collection is like. The new designs look like they will be better built watches and the fact that they will be swiss made may bring the quality up another notch. As many have said, I believe CW are at a crossroads at the moment. I think they need to move forward and be willing to let their watches become more expensive in order to ensure the quality is as good as they claim.
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

Hi Guys,

Received my Forum LE SS Strap (white date) last weekend - Looks and feels like a great watch. The Blue dial is amazing in the 'flesh'.

Dissapointed that the date dial is white and not black as the original spec... not based on aesthetics but IMHO the whole point of a LE is that the orig spec is maintained...

The lume looks more greenish than blueish - but I guess this varies on lighting conditions and an individuals perception?

There is a very small bemish on the strap where it meets the body which I presume happened during assembly...

I do have a question regarding the ETA 2824-2 rhodium finished movement and hoping someone can eloborate. I dont know much about watches so excuse my ignorance from the offset. It is my understanding that the rotor should spin freely as a means to wind the automatic movement. So when I hold the LE vertically and move it foward several inches I am expecting to hear and feel the rotor gyrate vigourously but it doesnt (as is the case with another two cheaper automatics that I have - a citizen - a fake with a cheap jap auto movement that I bought in malaysia). The watch does work but for some reason It just doesnt feel right! Am I missing something here or do you think there could be a problem?

MadScientist
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

:o
CFK-OB
Senior
Senior

Post by CFK-OB »

Hi MadScientest. On both the ETA 2824 and 2892, it is virtually impossible to feel or hear the rotor spin. Every now and then if you get the angle just right you can hear it, but it is rare.
cushie
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5
LE-one: yes

Post by cushie »

Hi guys just a quick update, my LE has gone back to CW this morning guaranteed delivery for tomorrow and insured with a nice letter requesting new boxes for the watch, a new replacement strap and being as i have sent it back the black date wheel to bring it to the original LE spec so now i am back to the waiting game but i will keep my fingers crossed that when i get it back it will be as it was supposed be when it was ordered.
Will keep you updated on what happens. :)
Everybody knows nobody is perfect and i am a nobody so i must be perfect.
Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by Rick »

Good luck Cushie :2thumbs:
C5AKS - C7 Rapide - C4IPK - C6T3 - C6 Forum LE - W6 Splash - C8SWT - C70 DBR1
Breitling Hercules - Omega SMP - Boschett Cave Dweller - Seiko Monster - Porsche Design P'6310
Tissot Sea Touch - Oris Pro Diver - Dreyfuss 1925 - Tissot V8 - Deep Blue Pro Sun
baz003h

Post by baz003h »

my le seems to be fine i am horrified at the pictures of the damage shown on some, mine seems to gain a lot of time constantly and im not overly happy with the white date dial and am very dissapointed in the delivery time i asked to be notified before the money was taken from my account but that seemed to be overlooked - dont think i will be purchasing another cw watch too much hassle
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Received my LE and it looks great. As mentioned above, pictures do not do the dial justice.
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

CFK-OB wrote:Hi MadScientest. On both the ETA 2824 and 2892, it is virtually impossible to feel or hear the rotor spin. Every now and then if you get the angle just right you can hear it, but it is rare.
Daz wrote: It'll be fine I'm sure, I cannot feel or hear mine either. The rotor on the 2824 moves with a jerky action compared to the Seiko 5 movement where the rotor spins more freely.
I've had the back off mine to regulate it so I have seen it in action.
Daz - CFK-OB - Many thanks for the clarifications... now I'm confident my LE has a healthy but stealthy heart :)

I wonder how the date dial issue is going to be played out - Many questions come to mind especially for those who bought the watch as a usable long term investment...Does the black dial hold more value over the white because of originality? Will the white dial be favoured due to aesthetics or become a rarity if the majority of owners revert back to the black? Can someone with a white dial opt for a black dial or vice versa?

I'm interested to know if Chris got back to Hans on this...
Hans wrote:I'm am surprised the second batch of Kingfisher LE's is coming with a white date-wheel, it should be black! I will ask Chris what is going on.
I don't think this one is manageable - Whats done is done and only time will tell... But plenty of lessons to be learned from this LE :klugscheisser: But whats important is that the next one will be better and they'll keep on getting better
cushie
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by cushie »

UPDATE...

Hi folks, had this email from Wera yesterday.

I am in receipt of your watch and in answer to your points:

1) Damaged box???? Seems like someone played football with it on the way, never mind….we can replace the boxes.

2) Steel strap, can be replaced

3) Date Dial, this is a mistake by the movement factory, they made all of the production with the white date dial….this we did not know until we received the movements….should have alerted you prior to sending it out. Apologies for that.

The situation is that we do not have black date dials here…..and can therefor not replace it…..

As it happens we made 100 of these LE watches, and so far everyone seems happy with the white dial also….but that does not concern you.

Please let me know if you wish me to proceed as above, and return the watch with the white date dial, or would you like me to fully refund you, including the postage?

I wait to hear from you before taking further action with this watch.

Thanks and regards

So after such a long wait i will settle for the white date dial and look forward to getting the watch back so fingers crossed all will we well second time round but will keep post updated.
Everybody knows nobody is perfect and i am a nobody so i must be perfect.
CFK-OB
Senior
Senior

Post by CFK-OB »

It's interesting that they seem to be treating the LE differently to the other watches. From what I have read / assumed, the people who bought other 2824 watches such as the aviator, received a letter stating that the white wheel date was a factory fault and if they wanted to, they could return the watch at a later date to get the correct movement with black date. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone who got the LE received this letter? Now it appears that the options given are either accept the white date or accept a refund - nothing about replacing the movement for the correct one.

I personally bought the LE to get an auto movement in this beautiful watch and I actually prefer the white date, so I'm happy. But I also completely understand the people who believe that it needs to be black because it is a LE. I think CWL should be offereing to fix this error for anyone who wants it fixed, rather than telling them to take a refund if they aren't happy.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I can see the future Ebay ads now....

Christopher Ward Limited Edition Watch
A rare white date dial

A watch that was built with an eta 2824 movement for
CW forum members only. The original model C6 was a quartz
movement, but this LE has an auto. The first group issued in 2007
no. 1-50 had all black date dials. the second group no. 51-100 had
white date dials due to an error by eta. Most were later exchanged
for the black date but some whites remain. This is your opportunity to
own a rare white date dial. This is a remarkable example of what a
watch company can do with little effort. This watch has a fantastic
Azure blue dial face, signed with limited edition clearly on the face. an
NDL table is engraved on the back. complete with screw down crown and
rotating bezel. In pristine condition and full working order, this piece is
offered with no reserve. A must have for any collector!!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi I was wondering if anybody received the discount, as I was charged full price.Have e-mailed customer services am awaiting reply.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

mnementh wrote:Hi I was wondering if anybody received the discount, as I was charged full price.Have e-mailed customer services am awaiting reply.
To my knowledge no discounts were offered or accepted on the LE, as it was a special run that was prearranged, and not subject to the discounts offered through CWL directly. Sorry.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.