Post by Kip »

2020 Watch of the Year.jpg
Features
Swiss made
26 jewel self-winding mechanical movement
38 hour power reserve
Twin-flag engraving over 'Colimaçoné' finish on the rotor
Cushion shaped marine grade stainless steel case
Screw-down exhibition caseback with aluminium anodised compression ring and divers helmet symbol
Screw-down twin-flag stamped crown with sandblasted lower area and polished top
Crosshatched crown with anodised aluminium outer ring
Unique engraved serial number
Sunray finish dial
Internal rotating bezel (120 clicks) with matte white, chamfered edge
Glass box sapphire crystal
Polished indexes
Signature Trident counter-balance on seconds hand
Super-LumiNova® Grade X1 GL C1 hands, indexes and bezel
Vintage oak leather strap with quick-release pins for easy changing
Eco-friendly luxury presentation case and owner's handbook

Technical
Watch Model C65
Size 41mm
Dial Colour Ocean Blue
Case Material Stainless steel
Case Colour Steel
Bezel Colour White
Height 13.05mm
Lug-to-Lug 47.12mm
Case Weight 72g
Water Resistance 15 ATM (150m)
Movement Sellita SW200-1
Power Reserve 38 hours
No of Jewels 26
Complication Type 3 hands
Vibrations 28,800 p/hr (4Hz)
Timing Tolerance +/- 20 sec p/day
Lume SLN X1 GL C1
Strap Size 22mm
Strap Material Vintage leather, rubber or bracelet

Description
The C65 Super Compressor is the first genuine super compressor diving watch in 50 years. With every metre you descend, its ingenious mechanism increases water-resistance. Turn it over, and the exhibition caseback – a first for a super compressor – shows you the all-important compression spring and diving-bell logo. Slim on the wrist, retro in design, the C65 Super Compressor is a mid-century professional diving instrument. Built for the demands of today.

It’s the late 1950s. As diving technology improves, scuba-divers are able to explore deeper. But there’s a problem. The further down divers go, the more the water pressure increases. Which means their watches – vital for ensuring safety underwater – develop malfunctions. And sometimes break entirely.

Step in case manufacturer Ervin Piquerez SA (EPSA). It invents a system – the ‘Super Compressor’ – that uses water pressure to press the caseback tighter against the O-ring gasket the further it descends. A new genre of diving watch is born.

Nearly 50 years after the last true super compressor appeared, the mechanism is back – in the shape of the C65 Super Compressor. Reverse-engineered by our team in Switzerland, this is a fully functioning super compressor with the ’60s looks to match. And thanks to improvements in watch construction, it’s the first one with an ‘exhibition’ caseback, through which you can see the ultra-thin compression spring. At 300 microns thick, the spring, which enables the compressor to work, is just four times the width of a human hair. Look again, and you’ll also spot the ‘diving-bell’ mark, the logo Ervin Piquerez used to signify authenticity.

The screw-down crown (another modern improvement) at 4 o’clock controls the hands and date whilst the one at 2 o’clock rotates the internal countdown bezel. This crown isn’t screwed down as this would make its use difficult for divers, but we have ensured its water-tightness by using two internal gaskets as well as two external ones. It also carries the crosshatch markings synonymous with the original versions.

Wearing the watch meanwhile is a joy thanks to the new ‘cushioned’ light-catcher™ case, whose near-rectangular shape not only looks suitably retro, but is also unobtrusive – sliding easily under a shirt cuff or looking great with short sleeves.

Available in three colour options the dial contrasts against the indexes and ‘baton’ hands (coated in Super-LumiNova® Grade X1 GL C1), plus the rotating inner bezel. And with the Sellita SW200-1 automatic movement powering it, the watch is as accurate as it is stylish.

Christopher Ward USA
C65 Super Compressor

Christopher Ward UK
C65 Super Compressor
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
WatchJunky

Re: Watch of the Year 2020 - C65 Super Compressor

Post by WatchJunky »

This is the best version
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

if anyone has the one Kip has shown they are bored with let me know!
Not a bad choice as winner imho
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I know i'm late to the party but I just bought mine and wearing it tonight for the first time. I have it on the blue (turquoise) strap and it really looks incredible
Boydesian
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Boydesian »

I cannot argue with this choice. Indeed, this is the first CW I've seen in a long while that I would actually want to own.

And, considering I ordered one last Friday, I will be able to investigate its finer points in person soon. :D
Whare hae ye been sae braw, lad?
Whare hae ye been sae brankie, O?
Whare hae ye been sae braw, lad?
Came ye by Killiecrankie, O?