News related to Christopher Ward Watches
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Re: A Lasting Legacy - Important News from Christopher Ward

Post by paw3001 »

I don’t agree and feel that this is where you were ‘hard’ or at least clunky and heavy handed. Your tone came over as a formal order/instruction rather than a friendly request!

We all know that the written word is not ideal to convey tone and so much more care should be taken by moderators not to appear like Sergeant’s barking orders for no reason!

Generally, from my perspective, Kip gets it about right. The rest of the mod team not so much imo!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

paw3001 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:14 pm I don’t agree and feel that this is where you were ‘hard’ or at least clunky and heavy handed. Your tone came over as a formal order/instruction rather than a friendly request!

We all know that the written word is not ideal to convey tone and so much more care should be taken by moderators not to appear like Sergeant’s barking orders for no reason!

Generally, from my perspective, Kip gets it about right. The rest of the mod team not so much imo!
This forum has clearly defined 'rules' which are oft referred to by Mods when they step in or pass comment on posts.

Having looked back through this thread I can't see which rules have been breached. There often seems to be a blurred line between what is in contravention of the rules and what offends a particular Mods sensibilities.

Strange for me ( as a fifty something ) to say but I think the forum suffers a bit through being moderated by a group of males from a certain demographic and also, potentially, form a fairly narrow socio-economic segment.

I am not saying there is anything deliberate, it has just turned out that we have a set of Mods who, to generalise, seem to have an aversion to any kind of cut and thrust exchanges between the grown adults on here.

I therefore decided that this year I either needed to stop posting and walk away ( metaphorically of course ) or just post benignly. I chose the latter because life is too short.....until know. I lasted more than a month on the new regime so more of a success than dry January!!!

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

PaulJS wrote:
paw3001 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:14 pm I don’t agree and feel that this is where you were ‘hard’ or at least clunky and heavy handed. Your tone came over as a formal order/instruction rather than a friendly request!

This forum has clearly defined 'rules' which are oft referred to by Mods when they step in or pass comment on posts.

Having looked back through this thread I can't see which rules have been breached. There often seems to be a blurred line between what is in contravention of the rules and what offends a particular Mods sensibilities.

Strange for me ( as a fifty something ) to say but I think the forum suffers a bit through being moderated by a group of males from a certain demographic and also, potentially, form a fairly narrow socio-economic segment.

I am not saying there is anything deliberate, it has just turned out that we have a set of Mods who, to generalise, seem to have an aversion to any kind of cut and thrust exchanges between the grown adults on here.

I therefore decided that this year I either needed to stop posting and walk away ( metaphorically of course ) or just post benignly. I chose the latter because life is too short.....until know. I lasted more than a month on the new regime so more of a success than dry January!!!

Cheers,

Paul
I quite agree and do feel that the mods are potentially causing more harm to the growth of the forum with their overzealousness.

However, this is just feedback, they can take it or leave it but I am sure we will be told to get the topic back on track as God forbid a conversation actually develops!
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

^^^
Ok I'll take the risk of what might follow these comments either from a Mod asking for this topic to return to it's true track or from members that have already stated their view.

Being the person on the other side of the "offending" posts I will state that AVO (excuse the abbreviation) was absolutely correct to ask us "Gentlemen" to stop the spat and return to the topic. It had gone way of track and was on the edge of being personal. If I offended anybody it wasn't intentional.

Let's now return this to a discussion about the move of Chris Ward away from the Company - if anybody wishes to continue the comments about Mods, how to phrase wording on posts or the use of punctuation or symbols then please start a separate thread.

EDIT - Just re-read my post and there was a BIG mistake on it - I gave the impression that I had gone out to offend because I wrote "was intentional" instead of "wasn't intentional" - Pardon me for my error.
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

A Lasting Legacy - Important News from Christopher Ward

Post by paw3001 »

Well, I still feel that the company should be more forthcoming regarding Chris leaving.

Whilst he may have been a ‘minor’ director out of the three founders. It is still his name and reputation that is out in the public and some of us actually care about this stuff. A company built around an actual person without that person can only be diminished in my view no matter its future success.

In any case, I think we have all learned something from this thread and that’s who to converse with and who not too as I certainly never set out to offend people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

For a company who are very keen to tell the story about how they were formed, the silence is deafening about the founder whose name remains on the dial.

The questions will continue to be asked until more details are shared imho.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
manicm

Post by manicm »

I don't think anyone is entitled to know the exact reasons for Chris leaving. As long as quality control and service is maintained, we're not entitled to anything really. Yes it's his name, but then again today what does the name Bowers & Wilkins mean on the company's speakers when said gentlemen have long since left or died?

Let it go, really.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Lots of strong views here, I think we should remember that we (forum members) are in the minority of CW customers. We are perhaps more likely as enthusiasts (some for a long time/since the start) to have built a relationship with CW the brand and in some cases Mr CW the person so feel more invested than the majority who go to CW to buy a nice watch maybe once or twice.
As a brand Im unsure that CWH Ltd would want to shout from the rooftops that Mr CW has left, potential customers who are less close may worry what this means in terms of continuation, quality of the brand etc. and it might negatively impact sales. Many may not even realise that there is a guy still (until recently) still involved called CW.
1) We may be curious or interested etc but have absolutely no right to know anything about the inner workings of a Ltd Co or employment decisions of an individual. Unless they choose to share.
2) There is a clear difference between the brand and the person. The founders could have called it anything all those years ago e.g. Marloe, Bremont, Surrey Swisseng, 'X brand' whatever etc and the name would mean nothing in relation to an individual. The product would be the same, great watches and likely we'd all be members of the 'X' forum now.
3) Given the above, silence is probably the safest corporate option in terms of protecting the wider brand and not causing unnecessary uncertainty or speculation in the wider market for their products.

We may not all agree in this thread but we are all passionate (to a greater or lesser extent) about the brand, product and watches in general so lets express our opinions but not beat each other up. Lifes too short and its a hobby, if you don't like the change its easy, dont buy the product.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

May or may not be relevant: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12355706
Ward Brothers (watchmakers), registered in Liverpool with W Mettes as a director.

Chris
meinberg
Senior
Senior

Post by meinberg »

This may be related . . . https://ward-bros.com/password

Nothing there, yet.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Purely speculation...

Short logo 'Ward Bros'
Logo at 12
Customer support managed by Wera :lol:

Chris
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

meinberg wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 pm This may be related . . . https://ward-bros.com/password

Nothing there, yet.
Very interesting indeed and I've signed up.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

I'm still waiting for the CW rebrand....
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Maybe a retail outlet for CW?
'Tis me
AdDaMan
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by AdDaMan »

That’s got Christopher’s Wife on the board so it’s definitely him. Madness.