London Calling. CW's new advertising campaign

News related to Christopher Ward Watches
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: London Calling. CW's new advertising campaign

Post by TigerChris »

I have to get the train down to Euston next Saturday, then the tube/s across to Ealing so I’m gonna be keeping my eye out. My last visit down there in October I didn’t see anything, but probably because I’m usually having more fun knocking people over walking into me that aren’t looking where they are going because they are glued to their phones! I do have fun doing that in cities :lol:
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression the campaign was a test in the run up to XMAS.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
balmerian

Post by balmerian »

I really like the clean aestetic of both of the ads. Christopher Ward do really shake up the watch industry in the right way unlike MVMT and other fashion brands.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

London Calling. CW's new advertising campaign

Post by Robotaz »

Jumping on the Trump hater vibe is not what I would call classy. I’m really surprised they went there.

I like the logo though. I hope they leave it alone and build around its simplicity. Simple is better. I’d even like to see watch photos with the logo above and writing below. Leave the gimmicky catch phrases to the others.

@robotazky
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Is there nowhere we can go without delving into the unsavory world of political debauchery? Thought I would be safe just discussing watches. Not on the emerald isle to see the ad in person...thankfully.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
SwissT

Post by SwissT »

Hi guys

I have to agree with the sentiment here, when the ads came out I was about to press the button on a c65 however especially following the Trump ad I didn’t go ahead. I personally don’t have an issue with Trump and am not political but I fear wearing the brand now marks me out as having a particular political leaning by association.

Now the mk3 Trident is about to launch and I find myself similarly torn and probably won’t make a purchase which is very sad. In my opinion CW should concentrate on making great watches and stay away from politics. You can alienate as many people as you attract, especially in these times!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I suppose it depends to a large extent on how seriously an individual views advertising. I have to confess, if I really wanted something I wouldn’t worry too much about the company’s marketing strategy. And I certainly wouldn’t let it stop me from buying, which rather seems to me like cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face.

However, we are all different…

If the advertising suggested that the company was supporting something illegal or abhorrent, that would of course be a different matter.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
SwissT

Post by SwissT »

Good points there, my view is that the marketing represents the values of the company and like it or not is how brand will be perceived. The recent ‘toxic masculinity’ ads as an example - buying these products is in effect supporting a very specific political or social stance taken by that brand.

It just seems an unnecessary distraction from what is a great product. The focus on ‘more for less’ is much more powerful and unifying.
Amor Vincit Omnia

I take your point, but I would reiterate that it depends to a large extent on how influenced an individual is by advertising.

If I need to shave I will buy a razor. The type of razor I buy has nothing to do with whether I support the company’s stance on toxic masculinity. It might be on offer in Tesco and therefore cheaper than the other brands.

The fact that I wear a Christopher Ward Watch says nothing at all about my political views (which we are not allowed to discuss on here, by the way.) :silent:

I must admit I had to google the razor thing, because I hardly ever watch television and most advertising goes completely past me. I can’t say I’m completely impervious, because the subliminal stuff hits us all the time, but I don’t know many people who are less pervious (if that’s a word). :lol:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
SwissT

Post by SwissT »

It is now! 😀 Perhaps I am less impervious (or pervious!).

Saying that I don’t rush out and buy something having seen an ad however this didn’t sit well with me personally and in my opinion is an unnecessary distraction from the core values which are very appealing indeed. They have a great product and simply don’t need to go down this route and risk alienating potential customers. I’d like to see a move away from this and move to more positive messages with a focus on what makes the product great and the company different!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Okay, I think we will need to agree to have a slightly opposite point of view on this one. Otherwise we are going to bore people by constantly reiterating the same argument.

Now...what watches do you have? We know what you don’t have! :wink:
Steve