LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Visa Card Issues

Post by Kip »

It would seem that there are on again/off again encryption issues with Visa usage primarily from the USA.

It is not just CWL , but seems to be widely scattered among mail order/internet companies.

It has nothing to do with the new CWL website and/or computer system. It has been a Visa problem.

If you are having difficulties please use the call center or email Wera directly. wera@christopherward.co.uk

Please have a little patience as this has proved to be a real nightmare for Wera. She has been entering all these orders manually herself as well as handling the phone calls from many anxious customers.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Someone Else
Senior
Senior

Re: Visa Card Issues

Post by Someone Else »

Please consider making this a high-pri sticky. I spent several hours trying to figure this out. On the weekend and early Monday morning, when banks are not awake to help.

My primary card is an AmEx; I don't use my Visa often. And the CW-USA site simply could not take it. The request never even hit my bank. (I called them and walked thoroughly through it when they were open.) Very frustrating, and definitely a CW-USA problem in that I would bet bottom dollar (or sterling) that Amazon.com doesn't suffer the same problem.

I wound up using PayPal.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Kip »

The original post was from this time last year. I don't recall any issues since. I will follow up and let you know.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Someone Else
Senior
Senior

Post by Someone Else »

Yes, I see that it's from last year. But if you do a search, you'll see CW-USA had recurring VISA problems. I doubt they fail with all VISA cards, but mine has been used for online and in-person purchases regularly (much less frequently than the AmEx) and this is the only place so far it's failed.

The bank thinks perhaps CW-USA is using "VISA Verified" authentication but hasn't got all the configuration correct. When I tried using the card, an auth box popped up for just a few seconds with no data input enabled (it didn't last long enough), so this seems possible.
cholmes
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by cholmes »

Hi, all.
I had the same multi-hour problem last week, and have never had this problem before in US or UK. I called my Visa Co. which said my card was fine but they had not received a request for its use from CW. I too ended up using Paypal, which went through immediately with same card. It was a perfectly easy solution but it would have been useful to have a note on the check-out page that if customer is having Visa difficulties just use the paypal Visa service. Can't wait to get the watch!!!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

I have verified with CWL that this issue is sporadic and is primarily from the USA.

The problem is believed to be a programming language issue of some sort. It seems to be an issue that is caused by the elves. It goes away for weeks or months and then pops up again. CWL has found nothing wrong on there end so far nor has Visa. Both are continuing to investigate the issue.

If you should run across this issue please email Wera at Wizziethewiz@christopherward.co.uk for assistance, pay by an alternate method, use the call center or call CWL direct.

CWL is sorry for any inconvenience, but they are doing what they can in collaboration with Visa to sort the issue.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Someone Else
Senior
Senior

Post by Someone Else »

Thanks, Kip. But this reflects extremely poorly on Christopher Ward. Consider:
  • American Express isn't accepted at all.
  • VISA "is" accepted, but simply doesn't work some times.
  • When it fails, no useful data about the failure is given. Or, put another way, the error is pretty much inaccurate and harmful since I wasted several hours tracking it down. Most people would simply have given up.
  • Many of us despise PayPal. I only even have an account because I used to receive some micro-payments that way.
  • That leaves MasterCard, but I don't even have a MasterCard
In addition, y'all don't really believe there's a problem until others chime in, and with all the trouble I had contacting anyone yesterday (ask Deb - I got, and I'm not kidding, a filled-up "mailbox" answering machine), y'all won't hear about it when something is wrong. Sales simply won't happen.

Which is fair. After all, what's the benefit to me of reporting it? Your initial response was that it was an ancient issue. Why should anyone go through the effort?

All that said, I am looking forward to the watch.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Someone Else wrote:Thanks, Kip. But this reflects extremely poorly on Christopher Ward. Consider:
  • American Express isn't accepted at all.
  • VISA "is" accepted, but simply doesn't work some times.
  • When it fails, no useful data about the failure is given. Or, put another way, the error is pretty much inaccurate and harmful since I wasted several hours tracking it down. Most people would simply have given up.
  • Many of us despise PayPal. I only even have an account because I used to receive some micro-payments that way.
  • That leaves MasterCard, but I don't even have a MasterCard
In addition, y'all don't really believe there's a problem until others chime in, and with all the trouble I had contacting anyone yesterday (ask Deb - I got, and I'm not kidding, a filled-up "mailbox" answering machine), y'all won't hear about it when something is wrong. Sales simply won't happen.

Which is fair. After all, what's the benefit to me of reporting it? Your initial response was that it was an ancient issue. Why should anyone go through the effort?

All that said, I am looking forward to the watch.
First off.... I agree that it reflects poorly on CWL but it doesn't bode well for Visa either. Both companies are losing sales potentially when this happens. Whether you care for the alternatives or not, at least CWL has them. Visa does not.

I am very happy that you were persistant and followed through with your purchase and I am sure CWL thanks you as well.

Now..... at what point did I say I didn't believe you? What I said was, "The original post was from this time last year. I don't recall any issues since. I will follow up and let you know."

I had the impression that you had made a post on a year old thread stating a past experience. You had a response to your initial post within 2 hours.

I said I would follow up (and I did) as I was unaware that the issue was still there. I was under the impression this was a temporary problem during the Christmas season last year.

You stated some very helpful and pertinent facts that I used when talking with CWL. I then posted a response from CWL within 24 hours. My response gave an explanation, as well as an apology and alternatives should this happen to someone else. That is a pretty fair response time as far as forum time is concerned in my view.

I will post as a sticky (an excellent suggestion) an explanation as well.

Was it worth your effort to mention this on the Forum? I think so. If it saves one person some aggravation and tells them what to do...then yes! I also thank you for that. That's what the forum is for, among other things, to inform and teach.

I cannot tell CWL how to operate their business. I understand why they don't want to accept Amex as the fees are very high, at least in the USA. It is their perogative to decide how they shall accept payment. I, quite frankly, am surprised they accept Paypal. I supposed the internet prescence of Paypal is the reason. Perhaps they also feel that one high priced alternative is enough. I don't know and it is not my decision.

You should also know, if you don't already that this is an independent forum, totally seperate from CWL. A very close alliance it is, but independent nonetheless. Note also that I am not an employee of CWL. I am merely an Ambassador and a forum moderator....and yes a collector.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

Blimey Kip, you have the patience of a saint. O:)

You're not an employee of CWL and although you are the forum's "Brand Ambassador" that was beyond the call of duty - and, frankly, a little impertinent on the part of Someone Else.

Anyway, let's hope that the issues get solved so that CWL doesn't lose out on sales thanks to poor coding on the part of VISA.
Someone Else
Senior
Senior

Post by Someone Else »

Mortis wrote:Blimey Kip, you have the patience of a saint. O:)
Well, maybe, but it's not really his job to sort out, and it doesn't help me regardless.

Before you hit "Reply", think about that. My purchase experience has been pretty rough. (It wasn't just this - the order system went a bit wrong, the U.S. call centre couldn't access anyone in London, voice mailboxes were full, tracking information was incorrect... it's been comedic.) This forum has been set up as independent; it's not part of Christopher Ward formally. So I should be enabled to vent my frustrations as a warning for others to see. Kip doesn't really have to respond; he does so because (presumably) he cares about the CW reputation.

For me, it's an exercise in either venting or in warning others away, but the sunk time (several hours) is gone forever. To me, that's a significant cost, and one that won't be reimbursed.
island4bobo

Post by island4bobo »

I also had a poor experience trying to order.
First, I tried to order online with my visa. No luck.
Second, I tried to order on the call centre. They said that they were unable to process my visa either, because they use the same website that customers do.
Third, the call center said they would have someone call me to take my order. No call.
Fourth, I called the call center, and they told me they would REALLY have someone call me. Someone called me the next day -- at 5:30 in the morning PST. I was asleep.
Finally, I set up paypal, and ordered online.

I second the view that this reflects DIRECTLY onto CW. I successfully use my VISA EVERYWHERE else, with no problems.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

Someone Else wrote:Before you hit "Reply", think about that.
I usually do think before replying, but since you seem too stupid to understand I shall explain for you: the reason for my reply was that you were rude. Your next reply simply confirms that, so I think I'll just pop you on ignore for now.

Incidentally, if you are going to vent your spleen further then please, for the benefit of those who don't have you on ignore, try to do it in comprehensible English.
Someone Else
Senior
Senior

Post by Someone Else »

Mortis wrote:
Someone Else wrote:Before you hit "Reply", think about that.
I usually do think before replying, but since you seem too stupid to understand I shall explain for you: the reason for my reply was that you were rude. Your next reply simply confirms that, so I think I'll just pop you on ignore for now.

Incidentally, if you are going to vent your spleen further then please, for the benefit of those who don't have you on ignore, try to do it in comprehensible English.
Fascinating. You resort to insults and name-calling ("stupid") in telling me that you are incapable of understanding my writing and that you consider me rude. Yes, I agree that for your own safety you should remove yourself from this conversation. And avoid mirrors.

(Given your self-acknowledged limited comprehension, I would explain that line... but if I have to explain it, you'll never understand it anyhow. 8) )
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

@ Mortis & Someone else.....handbags away chaps......don't really need this sort of thing on here, just makes the forum look naff and juvenile :roll:
John