News related to Christopher Ward Watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: A Special Competition.....A must Read

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Timing is great if you:

a. Don't work
b. Are on holiday
c. Work in London and can take the afternoon off.

Do you think it is possible to enter, win and not attend so that they have to post your prize. Or is that outwith the spirit of the thing?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

Agree Steve - it is a lovely thing to do, just a shame that the forum competition to win the 10th anniversary watch is only open to a very small % of the forum...

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

If you win, I'll be happy to attend and collect your prize. :thumbup:

However I can't guarantee how soon I'd be able to deliver it to you afterwards :D :problem:
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by eggtronics »

Question is, will those that attend, and also the bloggers, be under any form of embargo? Or will we see all the news from the event as soon as the bloggers and attendees are able to get back and write up articles?

The reveal is finally getting closer, yet it feels so bloomin' far away!!!
I'll be there, and unless I'm told otherwise, I'll be Tweeting regular updates as to what's going on right then and there! So make sure you're following my Twitter or Facebook @WatchItAllAbout
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
7ee
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by 7ee »

eggtronics wrote:
Question is, will those that attend, and also the bloggers, be under any form of embargo? Or will we see all the news from the event as soon as the bloggers and attendees are able to get back and write up articles?

The reveal is finally getting closer, yet it feels so bloomin' far away!!!
I'll be there, and unless I'm told otherwise, I'll be Tweeting regular updates as to what's going on right then and there! So make sure you're following my Twitter or Facebook @WatchItAllAbout
Great, will follow you if I can find my long dormant twitter account, and facebook also.

Of course with a huge amount of luck I'll be there to see the reveals myself :D
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

I can't make it anyway due to work, but (with only one watch) I am hardly the best representative of the forum.

It is a nice idea, but we have to remember this is a commercial decision to give the press an idea of the closeness of the CW community, not a forum focused decision to reward forumites.......

I am sure a couple of worthy winners will have an enjoyable event, but that isn't the objective of the proceedings.
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

I'm another one who'd like to enter, but really can't go since a) I'll be at work and can't take time off and b) I live in Aberdeenshire. :( Still, I'll look forward to the announcement and hope someone has a great day out. :thumbup:
Trying not to buy any more watches...
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Timing is great if you:

a. Don't work
b. Are on holiday
c. Work in London and can take the afternoon off.

Do you think it is possible to enter, win and not attend so that they have to post your prize. Or is that outwith the spirit of the thing?
A. Yes I work but would take the day off
B. No but see above
C. No but would do the 450+ mile round trip for such a one-off opportunity

Yes, this does favour southern based applicants but that's not unusual in our London-centric society but hell, its a one off opportunity so well worth it, even for an unfashionable northerner!
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

akirk wrote:Agree Steve - it is a lovely thing to do, just a shame that the forum competition to win the 10th anniversary watch is only open to a very small % of the forum...

Alasdair
It's available and open to all, just not easily accessible to all - there is a difference.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I've entered. And if I win (yeah, right!), like Tyke, I'll find some way to be there, even from the outer reaches of Yorkshire! :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

Tyke wrote:
akirk wrote:Agree Steve - it is a lovely thing to do, just a shame that the forum competition to win the 10th anniversary watch is only open to a very small % of the forum...

Alasdair
It's available and open to all, just not easily accessible to all - there is a difference.
mmm not really sure - it isn't really open to anyone unless they can be there - okay, some would take time out to be there, but many can't those outside the UK would find it very expensive, those working may have no choice and not be able to take the time off...

so unless it is okay to enter, win and not attend (which I assume not) then it is only open to those who can attend...
which is a shame if it is being touted as a forum competition to win the 10th anniversary model yet a large % of the forum in reality can't enter...

Alasdair
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I do get your point, but I must respectfully disagree Alasdair.

The rules are simple and no one is prevented from entering. You just must be able to attend.

I think this is a wonderful gesture by CWL to provide a bit of a competition to invite 3 members to this event. It is not possible to schedule an event to account for everyones schedule or location.

The opportunity is there....one must simply decide if they are able to take advantage of it.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

It's a competition to win two prizes (CW product and attend the event) - why on earth would they want someone to enter if they could only have half of the prize?

Many competitions have stipulations that are restrictive ('win tickets to watch England, but you must be able to get to Twickenham'), and this is evidently no different. Yes, having forum members at the event is obviously good PR and no doubt that is a major reason for the competition but it is still restricted to forum members only, hence being sold as it is.

Not sure what people's issue really is
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

A Special Competition.....A must Read

Post by paw3001 »

Kip wrote:Forgive me if I am not dead accurate here...

Through the end of 2006 (our first full year) we had 89 members. Of those, only 5 have visited in the past 6 months and only one was within the past 6 weeks.

Not sure what that means, but that is what I counted quickly.
So shouldn't of been a problem to invite them then as only a small number are still active and I would count the last 6 months rather than weeks!

Especially as seeing as the winner of the competition will likely be a "newbie" then! ;-P

Wonder where the other 84 wandered off too!

Or CW could of randomly invited a forum member from each year of joining since the forum began. A nice mix of of old and new members!

Nice competition but the PR could of been so much better
Watches - Too many but not enough!
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

I was merely noting that if this is a forum opportunity to win the 10th anniversary watch it isn't really forum-wide - it is fine to say that no one is prevented from entering - but because the two are tied together - the opportunity to win the watch and the opportunity to attend the launch, actually a high % of the forum are prevented from entering / winning the watch as they can't attend the event - if you can't attend - you can't enter, so it is not open to all the forum ;)

agree you can't orgnise the event to suit schedules - the event happens when it does... it is the tying of the two together which is a shame - and possibly need not have been necessary - there could have been the opportunity to enter to attend the event (in itself a nice 'prize' to win) and a parallel opportunity to enter a competition within the forum to win the watch...

the forum is a big PR / marketing exercise for CWL so it is lovely to see that acknowledged by this kind of opportunity, just a shame that the bigger element of the prize - which need not be tied to the event has been making it not a forum competition...

Alasdair