Good morning, scooter. :wave:
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Re: Forum Comes Home

Post by mabotham »

Make it more like animal farm.. The book I mean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

SimonB wrote:I'm with Steve - needs 3rd party to keep it from being a CWL selling tool

will this get edited out in the future ?)
Will what get edited out..? All I can see is this;

Sorry - couldn't resist ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

mabotham wrote:Make it more like animal farm.. The book I mean!
Any nominations for Squealer?

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Having pondered this I am of the opinion it doesn't matter in the slightest; CWL may now own the Domain name and the database, but they don't own us!

If they start buggering us around - and I don't believe for a moment they will - then the first thing that happens is that all the other watch forums would be told about it... for zero net gain to CWL.

Second thing is that we start a new forum for almost no money and carry on as we were - only this time we take adverts from Bremont ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

Cirrus wrote:...only this time we take adverts from Bremont ;)
do you think they would allow us to trade in our CWL watches for Bremonts on a 1:1 basis?!
yippee!

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fnew »

akirk wrote:
Cirrus wrote:...only this time we take adverts from Bremont ;)
do you think they would allow us to trade in our CWL watches for Bremonts on a 1:1 basis?!
yippee!

Alasdair
If they do, I'm all in!
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I am a member of a Bremont forum. The founder of that forum has moved on and the forum is now moderated by a Bremont employee.

In my opinion, this has changed the feel of that forum. Several topics have been started with a clear "market research" agenda, and there are plenty of replies from the moderator (on many topics) which are clearly "spin" and "marketing speak". Sensitive/critical posts also seem to have reduced (although there were never many in the first place).

This (CWF) forum already has an element of marketing involvement (for example, the forum watch of the year, the annual chat with Chris, etc) and personally, I have doubts that the company will be able to resist utilising it further.

We shall see. :)
Richard
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I think Richard's example illustrates quite nicely the risks to the forum. But put it under the control of an independent 3rd party and that risk largely goes away. Simples. A trust would be dead simple to set up too.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

to be fair though - we haven't really objected to 'market research' within this forum - it is a two way conversation with CWL - we get previews and chats with CW / they get our views and thoughts - though I suspect that they have a balance of views from a number of sources...

I really doubt it is going to make much difference (though we wait and see) I also doubt that CWL would have any reason or desire to put it into a trust etc. They are undoubtedly building a brand / company they will wish to exit at some point (they have investors) - owning the forum is a good strategy as a part of that - to have it in trust would be a weakness.

will be interesting to see what happens...

Alasdair
SimonB
Guru
Guru

Post by SimonB »

Possible that the 3rd party idea could be seen as a weakness by future purchasers - equally could be seen as a strength - confidence in product is a difficult area - perhaps a new approach to something like this would be seen in that light
C3 mk 2 white
C60 mk 3 40mm black
downer

Post by downer »

As another example, I have just read a topic on TZUK, posted by the forum owner (and custodian of a few watch brands).

The post draws attention to the recent case involving apparent defects in a Martin Baker ejector seat, and is entitled "Would you want to be associated with this company?".

In my opinion, this post was clearly intended to highlight the link between Martin Baker and Bremont, and consequently, lead to a nice bit of Bremont bashing............. The forum disciples did not disappoint and piled in with inane comments... thereby creating a bit more anit-Bremont feeling and (subtley) a bit more loyalty to the house of eddie.

Of course, this is not the first time these tactics have been deployed - in fact CW has been the victim of several TZUK witchhunts.

The fact that the topic was started by the forum owner leaves a sour taste.. It was a cheap shot.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that this forum (or its new owners) would take this path. I am simply highlighting the risk created when a person or company has a strong/vested interest in the content of a public forum.
Richard
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Watch-hunts...
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

Richard, I think that is a good illustration... for me though I would hope that there is a little more maturity and business nous at CWL - if there proves not to be, then I suspect that I and many members here would simply decamp - I am sure they are aware of that risk... personally I would give them one chance to get it wrong and tell them! Any more would put me off...

Alasdair
downer

Post by downer »

akirk wrote:personally I would give them one chance to get it wrong and tell them! Any more would put me off...

Agreed. Innocent until proven guilty... but perception is reality... therefore, innocent until people think otherwise...
Richard