Chat with Chris 2013

News related to Christopher Ward Watches
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: Chat with Chris 2013

Post by Viognier »

akirk wrote: some folks seem to think that their ethos is cheap - it is not - it is good value, that is very different

Alasdair
Excellent point Alasdair
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Sad to see the number of posts suggesting that the chat with Chris should be something less than that. I thought the whole point was that Kip raises a few questions, Chris chooses to answer the ones he wants to, Fras pings up some images, we all go 'ooh' and 'aah' and some of us throw in a couple of questions along the way coupled with a modicum of banter. I didn't feel there was too much chatter during this chat session and I managed to follow what Chris was saying well enough considering I was writing a report at the same time.

Each to their own I guess but if the 'chat' becomes a 'presentation', I will simply wait for the transcript as opposed to log on.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

jmarchitect wrote:Sad to see the number of posts suggesting that the chat with Chris should be something less than that. I thought the whole point was that Kip raises a few questions, Chris chooses to answer the ones he wants to, Fras pings up some images, we all go 'ooh' and 'aah' and some of us throw in a couple of questions along the way coupled with a modicum of banter. I didn't feel there was too much chatter during this chat session and I managed to follow what Chris was saying well enough considering I was writing a report at the same time.

Each to their own I guess but if the 'chat' becomes a 'presentation', I will simply wait for the transcript as opposed to log on.

I feel the same. I didn't think there was a great deal of chatter anyway.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

atnits wrote:
I feel the same. I didn't think there was a great deal of chatter anyway.
Yep, another one to agree here. The chatter was minimal and surely it would just be named online presentation if there was no forum interaction? I think the format works just fine as it is.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

I like the new model introductions that Fraser throws up. It gets that initial reaction. However, there is a sneak previews on this forum that doesn't appear to get used as much as it could. The previews could have gone on there a week beforehand to allow them to sink in to our thoughts and then comment appropriately. There could have even been a poll re the new models and then Chris could have got some feedback that may have allowed for changes.

There were some good questions submitted that clearly people spent some time on. Shame they didn't get posed let alone answered.

No real criticisms, but I agree that the format could be adapted next year.

PS, thoroughly enjoyed it!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

mabotham wrote:I like the new model introductions that Fraser throws up. It gets that initial reaction. However, there is a sneak previews on this forum that doesn't appear to get used as much as it could. The previews could have gone on there a week beforehand to allow them to sink in to our thoughts and then comment appropriately. There could have even been a poll re the new models and then Chris could have got some feedback that may have allowed for changes.

There were some good questions submitted that clearly people spent some time on. Shame they didn't get posed let alone answered.

No real criticisms, but I agree that the format could be adapted next year.

PS, thoroughly enjoyed it!
The sneak preview section does not get as much use as it used to because CWL is now on the radar of a lot more companies than it used to be. Chris must wait until the competition does not have time to react to new proposals. Although I do not disagree that it would be great to see the new intros prior to the chat it is not in the best interest of CWL. It is one of the reasons that the past couple chats have been moved to late June. Chris is generous enough to show them to us so we must go with what he is comfortable with.

I also think that the chat format works ok overall, but I would like to see it go a bit smoother. I will be looking at some ways we may be able to refine the format. Not certain of anything right now, but will throw it out to the general forum when I have some ideas so we can discuss them as well as other options.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Morning Kip, you could always rename it to a listen :lol:
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

Kip wrote:The sneak preview section does not get as much use as it used to because CWL is now on the radar of a lot more companies than it used to be. Chris must wait until the competition does not have time to react to new proposals. Although I do not disagree that it would be great to see the new intros prior to the chat it is not in the best interest of CWL. It is one of the reasons that the past couple chats have been moved to late June. Chris is generous enough to show them to us so we must go with what he is comfortable with.
Fair points - but... :)

as images appear on the forum within 10 seconds of the end of the chat - it isn't going to harm CWL to have them up 2-3 days earlier than the chat to allow folks to look - add questions to the list etc. If CWL are showing them because they wish to spark interest / let the forum feel that they have the privilege of seeing them slightly early, then carry on as now - if they are interested in discussion / feedback, then having them slightly beforehand would facilitate that far better, looking at the forum threads on here - I suspect that had we seen them even a day earlier / that morning it would have significantly changed the discussion and would have made it more interesting...

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Did we get an answer to the question as to if the new clasp would be compatible with older bracelets? Looking at my C5A this morning it looks as if you would have to remove most / all of the "adjusting" links, and even then it may not make a big enough gap to fit the new one...
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

akirk wrote:
Kip wrote:The sneak preview section does not get as much use as it used to because CWL is now on the radar of a lot more companies than it used to be. Chris must wait until the competition does not have time to react to new proposals. Although I do not disagree that it would be great to see the new intros prior to the chat it is not in the best interest of CWL. It is one of the reasons that the past couple chats have been moved to late June. Chris is generous enough to show them to us so we must go with what he is comfortable with.

as images appear on the forum within 10 seconds of the end of the chat - it isn't going to harm CWL to have them up 2-3 days earlier than the chat to allow folks to look - add questions to the list etc. If CWL are showing them because they wish to spark interest / let the forum feel that they have the privilege of seeing them slightly early, then carry on as now - if they are interested in discussion / feedback, then having them slightly beforehand would facilitate that far better, looking at the forum threads on here - I suspect that had we seen them even a day earlier / that morning it would have significantly changed the discussion and would have made it more interesting...

Alasdair
I personally think a key part of the attraction of the chat is the unveiling of the new models, so to have the preview pics come out before that defeats the whole cool factor of the forum members being the first people outside of CWL and their partners to see the watches, personally presented by Chris himself.

I didn't participate in the chat, but I think it's always the case that the text output/transcripts look more complicated than how it actually went in real time. The participants themselves are just continuing to type their own thoughts concurrently, and it's only us reading that get confused because we see all their typed comments split and spliced with other people's comments.

However, it did seem at one point that Chris was getting snowed with questions and he had to request that the questioners slow down. Quite a few questions were coming in while Chris was still trying to finish his previous reply or train of thought. Maybe people were excited. Or were they worried that if they didn't squeeze their questions in in time, Chris wouldn't get to it before time ran out? I'm sure a regular reminder by the chat moderator would help.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

akirk wrote:

Alasdair
I think it is the "spark interest" and "key part of the attraction" as asqwerth says that contribute to not showing ahead of time as well. The feedback will come after the chat. That seems to work ok for Chris.
Helix Von Smelix wrote:Morning Kip, you could always rename it to a listen :lol:
Probably more info gets out, but I doubt that most would be as interested. I wouldn't rule it out as another option for a different time though. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Nite_narc
Senior
Senior

Post by Nite_narc »

It's great that Chris shares his time with us. Do the boys at Bremont do the same?

With CW attracting more attention maybe pre-submitted questions (on the forum) get put to him first then an open discussion?

This all depends on Chris' time of course but I'm really grateful that this was put on in the first place!

It's really easy to have had to put in no working setting such a thing up, had to spend none of your own time to organise and then say it wasn't perfect without remembering that no-one HAD to put this on.

I personally read the transcirpt at my own pace afterwards and would like to thank the organiser of that for sharing it.
nite_narc

Proud owner of a C60 Trident & C70 BRVGT.
Hate the new logo
cholmes
Guru
Guru

Post by cholmes »

I've been reading transcripts of these chats for a few years now, as they always seem to happen when I'm away from home. I always enjoy the banter and wouldn't limit it at all. Seems like everyone actually there enjoys it too. Once again I cringed that Wera was the only woman present. Next year I'll log in from where ever I am. This year I was in Istanbul, so really no way I could have made it but I appreciate Wera and Chris taking the time a lot.
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

cholmes wrote:I've been reading transcripts of these chats for a few years now, as they always seem to happen when I'm away from home. I always enjoy the banter and wouldn't limit it at all. Seems like everyone actually there enjoys it too. Once again I cringed that Wera was the only woman present. Next year I'll log in from where ever I am. This year I was in Istanbul, so really no way I could have made it but I appreciate Wera and Chris taking the time a lot.
So you are saying that you flew directly over the UK (and CWL Towers) and didn't stop by? :shock: :(
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Helix Von Smelix wrote:
cholmes wrote:I've been reading transcripts of these chats for a few years now, as they always seem to happen when I'm away from home. I always enjoy the banter and wouldn't limit it at all. Seems like everyone actually there enjoys it too. Once again I cringed that Wera was the only woman present. Next year I'll log in from where ever I am. This year I was in Istanbul, so really no way I could have made it but I appreciate Wera and Chris taking the time a lot.
So you are saying that you flew directly over the UK (and CWL Towers) and didn't stop by? :shock: :(
Did you even wave? :cry:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr